1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Single or dual DIN head unit?

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by MacDougl, Oct 30, 2013.

1. Oct 30, 2013 at 11:14 AM
    MacDougl

MacDougl [OP] Active Member

Member:
    Greenville, Texas
    Vehicle:
    '10 Access Cab 4x4
    Window visors, fog light mod, bed storage locker locks, aftermarket stereo, lighted 4x4 switch, lighted console
    Ok, I've bounced this back and forth in my head, read several threads on here and decided to throw this open for opinions.

I run an Android phone. Was looking for features on the dual DIN head unit that would work with my phone. Reading several threads, I see that at best it is hit or miss. Lots of cables to buy and then it isn't a lock on working. Seems the IPhone runs well but not the Droid.

So, if all I can do is stream my music from my phone, no navigation and no apps, would I be better going with a single DIN head unit?

2. Oct 30, 2013 at 9:22 PM
    Simon's Mom

Simon's Mom Wag More Bark Less

Member:
    First Name:
    Judy or Jude :)
    NEK Island Pond VT
    Vehicle:
    24 Tundra Trd Sport former 13 TRD OR
    Stock for now
    I have no idea but here is a thread bump maybe some of the audio techy guys will chime in and help you out! :thumbsup:

3. Oct 30, 2013 at 9:24 PM
    ToyotaKTMracing

ToyotaKTMracing The Blue Warrior

Member:
    First Name:
    Shay
    West Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2008 DCSB Ink 4WD Auto
    285 BFG ATs, Custom dual exhaust system, 4" total lift (adjustable billies with 885 coils in front and AALs with 1" block in rear), interior LED lighting, LED reverse lights, LED license plate lights, fog light anytime mod, JVC KW-R500 stereo, 20" okledlightbars.com LED light bar, coverking seat covers
    Wait, I may be confused. What does single or double din have to do with your phone working with them? Either one should be fine. I kind of see what you mean. Usually, double dins have a lot more features. Some examples: bluetooth, navi, touch screen, voice calls (I think there are some with this), etc. Your best bet is to get a double din. Ask your question here: http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/audio-video/209082-show-off-those-aftermarket-stereo-systems.html. Someone will chime in for you.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2013
  4. Oct 31, 2013 at 4:51 AM
    Riverdog

Riverdog Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Collin
    Portland, OR
    Vehicle:
    '05 Double Cab PreRunner
    Better off? That's really only for you to say. Single dins are generally less expensive, but double dins have a couple more features and seem cooler to most people.

If you get a deck with bluetooth audio streaming you should be fine with either a single or double din. Playing music this way avoids any issues you might run into with the Android phone and deck not communicating correctly due to wires and software bugs.

What's your budget for a new deck? You can get some pretty sweet single dins for $200-300. And the double dins (that don't look like garbage and are from name brand companies) start around $280.

EDIT:
    In case you're interested, here's a link to a bunch of single dins with bluetooth audio streaming.
    And here's another link to double dins with bluetooth audio streaming.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2013

Products Discussed in

To Top