LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Audio & Video

Notices

AVIC-Z1 Install

Old 11-30-2006, 05:29 PM   #1
Avarice is on a distinguished road
Avarice's Tacoma Gallery
AVIC-Z1 Install

I have posted this on some other toyota related sites, but haven't really gotten the kinds of answers I need, so I thought I would try here and see if I get any better results.

I recently installed the Pioneer AVIC-Z1 navigation unit in my 2004 Tacoma Double Cab. I haven't done a stereo install since my high school days and this took me most of my turkey holiday .

I have everything connected except 3 wires. Two of the wires (speed & reverse) aren't strictly necessary for operation of the unit, but they make the nav more accurate in cases where it cannot get a good satellite signal (underground, etc). The last wire (parking break) is necessary for most of the nav & configuration functions to be operational.

Here are the wires I need to find out where they go:

Speed Signal Input (pink wire)
Reverse Gear Signal Input (violet/white wire)
Parking Break - Power supply side (light green wire)

I need diagrams, pictures, or very very good descriptions of where I can find the connections I need to make. If you could help me, I would really appreciate it.

Thanks!

Brandon
Old 11-30-2006, 05:34 PM   #2
The TW 1%
ForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Coast Guard: Chief Petty Officer, ITC
Name: Drunken Sailor
ForeRunner's Tacoma Gallery
I have a link to the 2001-2004 Tacoma FSM (Factory Service Manual)

Whole manual

Wiring Schematics

I hope this helps.
Old 11-30-2006, 09:44 PM   #3
Avarice is on a distinguished road
Avarice's Tacoma Gallery
I don't really know how to read these manuals, but I will give it a shot. Thanks for your help, I have something to go on now.

Brandon
Old 11-30-2006, 10:01 PM   #4
The TW 1%
ForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed
I'll see what I can do for you, audio installs aren't my fortay but I can read a schematic.

For the parking brake

Well I've found this

And a post in the thread links to this

And page 68 for the instument cluster wiring schematic.
Old 01-09-2007, 12:26 AM   #5
darrellabaker is on a distinguished road
darrellabaker's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for the link!!! I just completed my AVIC-D1 install thanks to you, Banshee!!
Old 01-09-2007, 10:11 PM   #6
The TW 1%
Glad to help out!
Old 01-10-2007, 08:05 PM   #7
Senior Senile Member
sunruner19 is a splendid one to beholdsunruner19 is a splendid one to beholdsunruner19 is a splendid one to beholdsunruner19 is a splendid one to beholdsunruner19 is a splendid one to beholdsunruner19 is a splendid one to beholdsunruner19 is a splendid one to behold

Navy: Seabees 27th Battalion
Name: Bill
Location: Great Sacandaga Lake region Northville NY, South Yarmouth, Cape Cod Ma.
sunruner19's Tacoma Gallery
For those that are installing a avic z1 in '05 to '07, here is some helpful info that i got from pb for the parking brake wire, reverse wire, and speed sensor wire connections with pics
http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/t138609.html
Old 01-10-2007, 10:01 PM   #8
darrellabaker is on a distinguished road
darrellabaker's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks sunruner19
Old 07-31-2007, 12:44 PM   #9
ScottTRD is on a distinguished road
ScottTRD's Tacoma Gallery
I am having problems with the VSS wire....

I have a 07 Tacoma 4x4 Sport and hooked the wire to the same one shown in the post (pink and white wire with insulation cut off) and I get no speed pulses. Is the speed wire different in the 07s? I am hooking up a AVIC-D3.
Old 07-31-2007, 02:05 PM   #10
Sometimes I drink water...
jhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: TSgt/E6, 3D172, Cyber Transport, NC Air Guard and prior AD
Name: Jamie
jhodge83's Tacoma Gallery
check out avic411they have tons of info on the n's, z's, d's, and other pioneer products including the bluetooth, xm, sirius...etc
Old 07-31-2007, 04:13 PM   #11
Senior Senile Member
sunruner19 is a splendid one to beholdsunruner19 is a splendid one to beholdsunruner19 is a splendid one to beholdsunruner19 is a splendid one to beholdsunruner19 is a splendid one to beholdsunruner19 is a splendid one to beholdsunruner19 is a splendid one to behold

Location: Great Sacandaga Lake region Northville NY, South Yarmouth, Cape Cod Ma.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottTRD View Post
I have a 07 Tacoma 4x4 Sport and hooked the wire to the same one shown in the post (pink and white wire with insulation cut off) and I get no speed pulses. Is the speed wire different in the 07s? I am hooking up a AVIC-D3.
Wrong wire, it should be purple/ white.

Location is second plug from bottom, #8 cavatity is a purple wire which is the speed sensor.
wire code is the same for 05 thru 07 regardless of body style or engine tranny config.
Old 08-01-2007, 07:06 AM   #12
ScottTRD is on a distinguished road
ScottTRD's Tacoma Gallery
I found it. Don't know how I got thinking it was a pink and white wire.
Old 08-01-2007, 02:35 PM   #13
Senior Senile Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottTRD View Post
I found it. Don't know how I got thinking it was a pink and white wire.
Glad to hear that you found it. Was hoping that pic helped also. My problem is that I am color blind and had to get someone to pick the right wire for me, lol.
Old 12-22-2007, 09:39 AM   #14
captainsav is on a distinguished road
captainsav's Tacoma Gallery
z2 won't power up

Any suggestions would be very much appreciated... checked all connections, can't get power...
Old 12-22-2007, 10:35 AM   #15
Senior Senile Member

Loss Of Power On Z2

First thing to check is the fuse under the hood. For some reason, this can pop when changing radios. Are you using adapter cables between radio and original radio connectors or did you splice directly into original radio harness?
Old 12-22-2007, 10:53 AM   #16
So there is a fuse in abox under the hood? I will explore that ASAP... I am currently spliced directly in, using some wiring diagrams I found through this site...
Old 12-22-2007, 12:08 PM   #17
That was it, my friend... thanks so much for your help... I didn't find any other reference to that fuse in my searches. Have a great holiday
Old 12-22-2007, 12:44 PM   #18
Senior Senile Member

z2 install

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainsav View Post
That was it, my friend... thanks so much for your help... I didn't find any other reference to that fuse in my searches. Have a great holiday
glad to be of help on this. I myself blew that fuse when I installed my avec-z1
Are you subscribed to the real traffic reports? I left a few links as far as wiring photos in this thread earlier. Its a great system. Dont use any alcohol based window cleaners on the screen and definetly use a micro towel with the radio off.