1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2006 with JBL wanting aftermarket upgrade

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by Liam TRD, Nov 12, 2013.

1. Nov 12, 2013 at 2:28 PM
    Liam TRD

Liam TRD [OP] Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Liam
    upstate, sc
    Vehicle:
    06 TRD off road 4x4
    Work in progress
    ok, so I have a 2006 double cab with the jbl system. I am wanting an aftermarket head unit because current system has no aux input. I had an appointment at a local shop to have a kenwood kdc 155 I believe. it was a 90 dollar unit on crutchfield that said matched and worked for my truck. I have the dash kit but was going to buy the unit and harness and labor from them. With a 60 dollar labor fee we were looking at no more than $175. After he "looked" at my truck, he decided that unit wouldnt work with the JBL. He then showed me another unit that retailed for 175, and he said he could do 130. He then told me I needed a 150 dollar harness for it to work, plus a 60 dollar labor fee. anyway, was this guy pulling me leg? do i really need that expensive of a unit? he gave me a reason, and some of you guys might know what he is talking about, but I didn't. I left because I wasnt planning on spending over 200 when I walked in and I sure wasnt paying over 350! anybody have any experience with the kenwood kdc 155? and how did it go? does it "work"? Im not accusing the people or company of everything, I just felt like they were pulling my leg, but I could be completely wrong

2. Nov 12, 2013 at 2:37 PM
    kryten

kryten Well-Known Member

Member:
    Canada
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Sport DCSB 6MT 4x4
    1" lift from 3rd gen suspension, 265/75/16 ATs
  3. Nov 13, 2013 at 9:37 AM
    Aw9d

Aw9d That one guy

Member:
    I may be wrong but I thought you can open up the stock HU and add an AUX port to it. I'm pretty sure there is a write up for that somewhere on here..

4. Nov 13, 2013 at 9:51 AM
    kryten

kryten Well-Known Member

Member:
    Canada
    Vehicle:
    Yes, that is what I did. Just pull out stock head unit and plug in the PIE-TOY03-AUX adapter and RCA to 3.5mm cable and route it wherever you find convenient. Mine goes to the center console. You can just lift the whole cupholder tray so you can fish the cable to the center console. This install is very easy.

If OP wants to go this way, he needs to research if JBL radio is the same, or has the same plugs at the back as the stock Tacoma 6-disc changer radio to make sure this or similar device will work, thats all.

I have this setup for almost 4 years and I rank it one of the most useful mods I did so far. Works flawlessly, while maintaining the stock dash look.

5. Nov 13, 2013 at 10:04 AM
    450rider

450rider Well-Known Member

Member:
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    98 4x4 SR5 Maroon
    Leveling Kit, K&N Filter, Rockford Fosgate speakers, mono block amp, 4 channel amp, capacitor, sub and both amp kits and a Pioneer DVD player By-passed
    You are going to need an expensive harness because of your jbl system. That harness has to interface with the jbl system instead of just connecting wires together like with non jbl systems. That being said, $150 for it is too much in my opinion, But I don't know the exact part number. That deck you pointed out only has one set of rca out puts. So the installer was right, you need a different deck. You need at least 2 sets of rca out puts 3 would be best in-case you ever want to add a sub, but shouldn't be necessary. I would recommend the Pioneer DEH-X3600UI (has 2 sets of rca out puts) or the Pioneer DEH-X7500HD (has 3 sets of rcas, only $20 more then the X3600UI but it is last years model). The prices I was looking at were on crutchfield.com. They have good prices and include most of what you need to install it your self at no extra charge. Minus a few tools if you don't have them.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2013
  6. Nov 13, 2013 at 12:34 PM
    Aw9d

Aw9d That one guy

Member:
    JBL radio should be the same for adding an AUX input.

7. Nov 14, 2013 at 2:21 PM
    Liam TRD

Liam TRD [OP] Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Liam
    upstate, sc
    Vehicle:
    06 TRD off road 4x4
    Work in progress
    I think I will go this route. I dont know what could be so different about it. Ive read on the reviews about people doing it with a jbl, but not a jbl taco. I dont know what could be so different. I see there is another cord that you attach to this that is just an aux. are there any that are USB that would charge my phone and play music? If not i can settle for regular aux and just buy a car charger haha. Thanks for the help everybody

8. Nov 15, 2013 at 7:57 AM
    kryten

kryten Well-Known Member

Member:
    Canada
    Vehicle:

Products Discussed in

To Top