1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2014 Navigation Unit in 2013

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by yogster, Nov 22, 2013.

1. Jan 5, 2014 at 5:39 AM
    yogster

yogster [OP] merkwürdigliebe

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    13 Black DCLB SR5
    DCLB Black 4WD Illumination dial from 4runner, Flyzeyes LED. Hardwire GPS and Valentine1 with BlendMount mirror mount, TRD shift knob, tube steps, swapped out for signal lamp mirrors. Garmin Eco-Route HD for Bluetooth ODBII Diagnostics, 2014 Entune Plus w Navigation, Leer 100XL dome light wired to dome circuit, pop&lock tailgate and cap locks.
    occasionally, I get an unexpected reboot, can't get BT to connect or some other such nonsense. It's a minor annoyance. But then my home pc, kindle, and yes, even my iPhone occasionally crash/reboot/freeze.

Many car stereos, including this one I believe, use some form of Windows CE (Embedded Compact). As a result they behave (and look) similarly. No different here. Panasonic (the maker of this OEM unit) uses Windows CE (either version 6.0 or 2013).

I had a top of the line Alpine Nav unit in my Subaru Outback. It had the same look and feel, and similar occasional quirky behavior.

2. Jan 6, 2014 at 5:08 PM
    peto48

peto48 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Central NY
    Vehicle:
    2020 Tacoma DCSB TRD Off Road Cement 4x4
    Salex Center console organizer, glove box organizer, Husky Xact contour front and rear digital floor liners, OEM black running boards, TRD PRO Sema 4runner wheels black, Blackout badge kit, Bakflip MX4 hard folding tonneau.
    Need help, I have the nav stereo all done but have 1 empty spot in the back of the head unit, am I supposed to? It's the one at the bottom of the pic in the middle of the group of 3, says unsure in the pic and the ones on each side say used but unsure.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 6, 2014
  3. Jan 7, 2014 at 9:41 AM
    yogster

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    13 Black DCLB SR5
    DCLB Black 4WD Illumination dial from 4runner, Flyzeyes LED. Hardwire GPS and Valentine1 with BlendMount mirror mount, TRD shift knob, tube steps, swapped out for signal lamp mirrors. Garmin Eco-Route HD for Bluetooth ODBII Diagnostics, 2014 Entune Plus w Navigation, Leer 100XL dome light wired to dome circuit, pop&lock tailgate and cap locks.
    Some of the information in that picture is incorrect. I have the wiring diagram at home, but I'm pretty sure that might be for the add-on XM tuner that mounts beneath the radio. If you've plugged everything in, then you are missing nothing.

The 28 pin connector contains most of the relevant connections, ACC, power, mic, aux. The other large white and blue connectors are for the rear speakers. Gray was for USB, white square one was for GPS antenna.

Again don't have the wiring information in front of me, but you should be all set.

4. Jan 7, 2014 at 10:51 AM
    peto48

peto48 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Central NY
    Vehicle:
    Salex Center console organizer, glove box organizer, Husky Xact contour front and rear digital floor liners, OEM black running boards, TRD PRO Sema 4runner wheels black, Blackout badge kit, Bakflip MX4 hard folding tonneau.
    Thanks, everything seems to be working. Got the xm, apps, nav, microphone, calling, am/fm, USB, and speakers all working. I have the xm module mounted underneath, it wasn't for that, those are in the top where the super skinny slot is. Just because I am curious could you take a peek when you get a chance and let me know what the diagram says that spot is for? Thanks

5. Jan 9, 2014 at 3:59 PM
    Danmcw45

Danmcw45 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Philadelphia
    -TRD supercharger -Truxedo lo-pro qt tonneau -Wet okole front seat covers -17" method fat five wheels -2014 Tacoma entune/nav headunit - black badges - flowmaster dual exit cat-back exhaust, swapped 50 series muffler for a super 40 series muffler for more sound
    Got my radio installed tonite really straight forward looks great and works great only thing im having a problem with if someone can help. My nav is not picking up my location. I live in pennsylvania, but the nav is telling me im in washington, dc. Did i do something wrong?

6. Jan 10, 2014 at 5:58 AM
    yogster

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    13 Black DCLB SR5
    Which jack is the GPS antenna plugged into. I believe it can fit into two possible similar jacks on the back of the unit.

What GPS antenna are you using?

Last edited: Jan 10, 2014
  7. Jan 10, 2014 at 6:21 AM
    Danmcw45

Danmcw45 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Philadelphia
    -TRD supercharger -Truxedo lo-pro qt tonneau -Wet okole front seat covers -17" method fat five wheels -2014 Tacoma entune/nav headunit - black badges - flowmaster dual exit cat-back exhaust, swapped 50 series muffler for a super 40 series muffler for more sound
    I almost positive antenna is in the correct spot.. The antenna is factory toyota came with the unit i got from FLtrucks. The nav did finally pick up my location today on my way into work

8. Jan 10, 2014 at 6:43 AM
    yogster

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    13 Black DCLB SR5
    The connectors and their uses are:

R1 10 pin, white radio side, white truck side, front speakers, battery, accessory, ground

R2 6 pin, white radio side, blue truck side, rear speakers

R15 28 pin, white radio side, white truck side, igniton, reverse (you would have to do the video mod), MIC, aux, speed sensor, steering wheel controls

R22 4 Pin, gray radio side, gray truck side, USB

R26 16 Pin, white radio side, non existent on 2013. This is for video input (you would need to do video mirror to unit mod)

R19 8 pin, white radio side, not present without sat radio truck side, satellite radio

AM/FM Antenna connector, white truck side, white radio side.

GPS Antenna connector, white radio side, white antenna side

Brown connector - another sat (oem) radio connection

Last edited: Jan 10, 2014
  9. Jan 20, 2014 at 2:19 PM
    PaToy

PaToy Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Bucks County Pa
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD Sport
    I did this radio swap out to my 2012 (non jbl). What do I need to get xm to work? It worked in my 2012.

10. Jan 20, 2014 at 6:08 PM
    peto48

peto48 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Central NY
    Vehicle:
    Was the xm part of the unit in the 2012? For the 2014 it is a separate unit that mounts directly under the radio to the mounting bracket.

11. Jan 20, 2014 at 6:33 PM
    PaToy

PaToy Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Bucks County Pa
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD Sport
    I do not know. As I took out the old radio no boxes were visible below. Maybe they are located at different location for 2012? I guess I need to dig into it.

12. Jan 25, 2014 at 8:30 PM
    sr5vic

sr5vic Buy & Hodl

Member:
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    '13 Access Cab SR5 4x4
    295/70/17 Geolander G003 M/T's, 17" Work S1HC's, 1" Bora Wheel Spacers, King 2.5 EXT Coilovers, King 2.5 Tundra Rears, Total Chaos UCA's, Total Chaos LCA's, BruteForce Fab Rear Bumper w/ Tire Carrier, OME Dakar CS047R Leaf Springs w/ D29XL AAL, 'OCTACO' Custom SS Brake Lines, Extended R.Diff Breather, RDI Aluminum Skid Plates, BAJADESIGNS Squadron Sport LED Yellow Fog Lights, BAJADESIGNS Squadron Sport LED Clear Front Spot Lights & Rear Work Lights TRD PRO Grill, TRD PRO Headlights, US Offroad Winch Mount, SmittyBilt X2O 10k Winch, RotoPax 2Gal. Fuel & Water Canisters , VIAIR Constant Duty OBA System, Custom Bussmann RTMR Panel, Total Chaos Bed Stiffeners, StopTech Slotted Rotors, TRD Brake Pads, Off-Grid Engineering Dual Battery System w/ Blue Sea 7622 ML-ACR 500 Relay, Dometic CFX40 w/ slide
    Anyone install the steering wheel controls yet? I was considering buying them and just wondering what's involved in getting voice control working!?

13. Jan 30, 2014 at 8:38 PM
    sr5vic

sr5vic Buy & Hodl

Member:
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    '13 Access Cab SR5 4x4
    295/70/17 Geolander G003 M/T's, 17" Work S1HC's, 1" Bora Wheel Spacers, King 2.5 EXT Coilovers, King 2.5 Tundra Rears, Total Chaos UCA's, Total Chaos LCA's, BruteForce Fab Rear Bumper w/ Tire Carrier, OME Dakar CS047R Leaf Springs w/ D29XL AAL, 'OCTACO' Custom SS Brake Lines, Extended R.Diff Breather, RDI Aluminum Skid Plates, BAJADESIGNS Squadron Sport LED Yellow Fog Lights, BAJADESIGNS Squadron Sport LED Clear Front Spot Lights & Rear Work Lights TRD PRO Grill, TRD PRO Headlights, US Offroad Winch Mount, SmittyBilt X2O 10k Winch, RotoPax 2Gal. Fuel & Water Canisters , VIAIR Constant Duty OBA System, Custom Bussmann RTMR Panel, Total Chaos Bed Stiffeners, StopTech Slotted Rotors, TRD Brake Pads, Off-Grid Engineering Dual Battery System w/ Blue Sea 7622 ML-ACR 500 Relay, Dometic CFX40 w/ slide
    so i finally got mine in today... love it!
    only problem.... im in Canada and just fount out we dont have Entune. :p
    This unit is american, and i've managed to wangle Toyota Entune App onto my Canadian Samsung Note 3... (it was blocked from the candian google store)
    STILL WONT WORK!? am i doing something wrong? why wont the headunit see the app? ... or am i straight buggered?

14. Feb 1, 2014 at 4:57 PM
    yogster

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    13 Black DCLB SR5
    What have you done so far?

Here's what you need to do (Some steps maybe obvious I know..

1. Install your entune radio.

2. Install entune app on phone

3. Set up your entune account. You will need a valid VIN from a truck equipped with that radio OR another vehicle that has a radio factory installed with Entune Premium/Plus or whatever. A non-entune radio equipped truck will not work.

4. Do NOT have your phone connected via USB.... Ensure it is fully charged for the next step.

5. Start the truck and ensure phone connects via BT.

6. Launch Entune app on phone. Log into your properly registered account as above.

7. Radio should begin to download enhanced entune apps (Pandora, Iheart radio, movietickets, bing, etc. Takes a minute or two. Do not shut off truck.

That's it!

15. Feb 1, 2014 at 5:20 PM
    yogster

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    13 Black DCLB SR5
    Did you PM me on this? Don't remember. But here's the answer

1. As you've discovered 2013 trucks with base radio do not have the Voice Control button. Saved Toyota a few pennies I guess.

2. Steering wheel controls on a 2013 consists of 2 wires plus ground. All possible signals INCLUDING the non-existent Voice Control button are carried on these 3 wires. Voice Control, Mode, Off hook and on hook are carried on the yellow wire. This in combination with ground gives four possible digital combinations of 1/0 or some pos voltage/ground. 00,01,10,11. I'm not 100% on this, but is probably like that. I am 100% sure on the wiring - I've got the schematics from TIS. Purple wire carries vol+/vol-, track up/track down - combined with ground, four more signals.

3. So, from above, there is no additional wiring needed. You just need to get the 2013 steering wheel controls with the VC button. Unfortunately you cannot just by the RH button pad, or even the right hand silver trim and pad. You must buy Left and Right, or perhaps they are attached under the horn/airbag pad. At any rate, $300 will get you that button! Not an easy way to add a button. Diagram show's a resistor, so it's probably not as easy as adding another make/break button to the yellow circuit.

4. 2014 steering controls have the same 3 wires above carrying the same signals mentioned above. 2014 added 1 more wire allowing for 4 more possible button pushes (in combination with ground wire). These new buttons are "Right/left" (on the left pad) and Return (underneath/lower right of left pad) and "Enter/OK" center of left pad. These four new signals are carried on red/white wire. As you may have noticed the left/right and enter/ok might come in handy on this radio...

If you are going to splurge on these controls, I'd probably by the 2014 ones if similarly priced. Though I cannot find parts listings for 2014 online yet. I've searched for either 2013 or 2014 via salvage or one ebay. I think LKQ scoops up all late model wrecks and parts them out, making very little available to joe consumer. Might be worth it if you could sell your controls to somebody who has no steering wheel controls and is looking to maintain an OEM look with an aftermarket radio. They would probably need a different spiral cable assembly, though.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2014
    This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  16. Feb 2, 2014 at 7:16 PM
    tacotacoburrito

tacotacoburrito Well-Known Member

Member:
    My buddy has a 2014 with Nav. You need the new silver surround for the steering wheel as well. The volume button is moved down on the left hand vertical "spoke". I figure in a couple years i'll be able to find a complete steering column and deal with it then.

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  17. Feb 3, 2014 at 2:31 PM
    yogster

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    13 Black DCLB SR5
    I probably wasn't clear in my response, but yes this is true, the silver trim is different as well. The mode button and volume buttons are below the main LH pad.

Attached are pictures of 3 types of steering wheel controls being discussed:

2012/2013 without voice control button
    2012/2013 with voice control button

018_0018.jpg
    1536617_x640_12.jpg
    054_0054.jpg

18. Feb 8, 2014 at 8:28 PM
    Ernyp22

Ernyp22 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Erny
    Winnipeg, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2014 Tacoma TRD
    Roof Rack, Mud Tires, Step Bars, 2x 10"JL w1's
    Yogster, you seem to be very knowledgeable in this topic. I hope to pick your brain.

I read that the R26 & R15 wiring bundles are the ones containing what I'll need for my factory reverse camera to function on my aftermarket head unit.

I have had my new head unit installed for a few months now but surely miss the reverse cam. Could you specify which wires I need to splice into to make an Rca for the new Hu, and which exact wire is the reverse wire. I should then be able to get the cam working.

Any additional suggestions would be welcome.

Thank you

19. Feb 9, 2014 at 8:54 AM
    metal4130

metal4130 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Central IL
    Vehicle:
    13 DCSB PreRunner
    Well I have bitten the bullet and will play guinea pig on the steering wheel control mod. I've got a regular 2013 Tacoma that I have upgraded to the 2014 navigation head unit that FLTrucks was selling. Installation was a direct plug and play but I would like to have the 2014 steering wheel controls too.

Friday night I placed my order for what I believe is the 2014 steering wheel control switch assembly. I am hoping this will be all the left and right buttons and the left and right silver trim pieces. I am unsure because of the price of the assembly but I will confirm with pictures when the pieces arrive.

Yogster,
    I believe when I get ready for the swap I will get the TIS subscription for 2 days to make things easier. In the meantime do you have any pictures you could post of exactly where I will have to add this extra control wire? Also, do you have any part numbers for the pins I would need to buy in order to plug into the stock plugs. From what you have said it seems like all I'm doing is adding on single extra wire from the clock spring (spiral cable) to the radio.

20. Feb 9, 2014 at 12:38 PM
    sr5vic

sr5vic Buy & Hodl

Member:
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    '13 Access Cab SR5 4x4
    awesome. i look forward to hearing how this goes! keep us updated!
    Do you have the part numbers?

To Top