Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Audio & Video

Notices

2014 Navigation Unit in 2013

Old 02-09-2014, 05:04 PM   #61
metal4130 is on a distinguished road
Name: Eric
metal4130's Tacoma Gallery
Smile

Yes, I have all the part numbers and will post them as soon as the parts get here and I know they are correct
Old 02-13-2014, 03:26 PM   #62
Just called Camelback and the steering wheel controls got pushed back to a Feb 17th delivery date.
Old 02-17-2014, 04:29 PM   #63
It works if you work it.
fbconvert has a brilliant futurefbconvert has a brilliant futurefbconvert has a brilliant futurefbconvert has a brilliant futurefbconvert has a brilliant futurefbconvert has a brilliant futurefbconvert has a brilliant futurefbconvert has a brilliant futurefbconvert has a brilliant futurefbconvert has a brilliant futurefbconvert has a brilliant future

Name: Brian
fbconvert's Tacoma Gallery
I know nothing beats the factory look, but in case you don't have the cash but want the function I'm pretty sure you can just make you're buttons like I did a few years back when I converted my 05 jbl to an 09 with bluetooth. With the help of TIS you can reverse engineer the required resistance for each switch.

Here is a link the the write up I did.

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/aud...05-tacoma.html

here is the cheat sheet I made.

I wouldn't be surprised if the resister values are the same.

here is a picture of the home made buttons. I think these buttons were free samples from TE.com... I was still in college and every cent counted lol.

Old 02-20-2014, 02:58 AM   #64
merkwürdigliebe
yogster has a brilliant futureyogster has a brilliant futureyogster has a brilliant futureyogster has a brilliant futureyogster has a brilliant futureyogster has a brilliant futureyogster has a brilliant futureyogster has a brilliant futureyogster has a brilliant futureyogster has a brilliant futureyogster has a brilliant future

Navy: Former DP1, Now USN CIV
Name: Tom
yogster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by metal4130 View Post
Well I have bitten the bullet and will play guinea pig on the steering wheel control mod. I've got a regular 2013 Tacoma that I have upgraded to the 2014 navigation head unit that FLTrucks was selling. Installation was a direct plug and play but I would like to have the 2014 steering wheel controls too.

Friday night I placed my order for what I believe is the 2014 steering wheel control switch assembly. I am hoping this will be all the left and right buttons and the left and right silver trim pieces. I am unsure because of the price of the assembly but I will confirm with pictures when the pieces arrive.

Yogster,
I believe when I get ready for the swap I will get the TIS subscription for 2 days to make things easier. In the meantime do you have any pictures you could post of exactly where I will have to add this extra control wire? Also, do you have any part numbers for the pins I would need to buy in order to plug into the stock plugs. From what you have said it seems like all I'm doing is adding on single extra wire from the clock spring (spiral cable) to the radio.
I have all the wiring diagrams I can forward or post here. But... they are on my home PC, so later tonight.
Old 02-20-2014, 03:01 AM   #65
merkwürdigliebe
yogster has a brilliant futureyogster has a brilliant futureyogster has a brilliant futureyogster has a brilliant futureyogster has a brilliant futureyogster has a brilliant futureyogster has a brilliant futureyogster has a brilliant futureyogster has a brilliant futureyogster has a brilliant futureyogster has a brilliant future

yogster's Tacoma Gallery
Note:

For 2012 and 2013 (and I believe earlier years), the steering wheel and controls on the Tacoma are the same as the 4Runner. Except.... from one parts site $286 for Tacoma controls, $170 for 4Runner. Don't know about the 2014, as those part numbers are not online. This is true of many parts that are the same across model lines - they are in a different pricing structure...
Old 02-20-2014, 08:21 AM   #66
It works if you work it.
fbconvert has a brilliant futurefbconvert has a brilliant futurefbconvert has a brilliant futurefbconvert has a brilliant futurefbconvert has a brilliant futurefbconvert has a brilliant futurefbconvert has a brilliant futurefbconvert has a brilliant futurefbconvert has a brilliant futurefbconvert has a brilliant futurefbconvert has a brilliant future

Name: Brian
fbconvert's Tacoma Gallery
I don't remember what year the 4runner changed to the newer style steering wheel like the 2012+ tacomas (I know it was before the 2012 Tacoma did) but it was interesting because you can buy just the right hand switches with the connection cable for the 4runner with the older style steering wheel but they only sold both switches as a set for the Tacoma, even though they were essentially the same thing, I know some people just bought the 4runner right hand side and installed it in their Tacoma. I realize no one probably cares but it was just something odd I noticed when I was trying to get switches for my truck.
Old 02-20-2014, 11:19 AM   #67
merkwürdigliebe

yogster's Tacoma Gallery
I noticed that too, when perusing the various parts sites. With the newer style both left and right are joined by one cable, that the connects to the spiral cable
Old 02-20-2014, 01:16 PM   #68
robotninjasrule has a brilliant futurerobotninjasrule has a brilliant futurerobotninjasrule has a brilliant futurerobotninjasrule has a brilliant futurerobotninjasrule has a brilliant futurerobotninjasrule has a brilliant futurerobotninjasrule has a brilliant futurerobotninjasrule has a brilliant futurerobotninjasrule has a brilliant futurerobotninjasrule has a brilliant futurerobotninjasrule has a brilliant future

Canadian Army: recce sqn LdSH(RC) 62B crew commander
Name: peter
robotninjasrule's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by yogster View Post
I noticed that too, when perusing the various parts sites. With the newer style both left and right are joined by one cable, that the connects to the spiral cable
Did you end up getting the right controls? I tried to order them at the local dealer and he could not tell the 3 part numbers apart. If I understood right you are ordering the 2013 jbl controls with the voice button?
Old 02-20-2014, 04:09 PM   #69
I got my steering wheel controls today. I didn't want to post the part number because the price seemed too low to be what I needed. Turns out I was wrong and the 2014 steering wheel controls are $96.61 from Camelback Toyota. I would recommend ordering parts from these guys as they really know what they are talking about. Its gonna be a few more days before I can get them installed but I'll report back with some step by step pictures.

http://partsfactory.camelbacktoyota....84250-04040-B0
Attached Thumbnails
2014 Navigation Unit in 2013-photo-4.jpg   2014 Navigation Unit in 2013-image-3.jpg   2014 Navigation Unit in 2013-image-4.jpg  
Old 02-20-2014, 04:11 PM   #70
robotninjasrule has a brilliant futurerobotninjasrule has a brilliant futurerobotninjasrule has a brilliant futurerobotninjasrule has a brilliant futurerobotninjasrule has a brilliant futurerobotninjasrule has a brilliant futurerobotninjasrule has a brilliant futurerobotninjasrule has a brilliant futurerobotninjasrule has a brilliant futurerobotninjasrule has a brilliant futurerobotninjasrule has a brilliant future

Dam! Exactly what I am looking for. Do you know if they ship to Canada?
Old 02-20-2014, 04:25 PM   #71
I'm sure they would!
Old 02-20-2014, 05:05 PM   #72

Meh no go on the shipping, going to try the dealership tomrrow. If not i have to pay the insane 52 dollar shipping cost from Oemtoyotascionparts.com price. I love doing the OEM mods!
Old 02-20-2014, 06:36 PM   #73
InducedComa is on a distinguished road
Army: MP VAARNG
Name: Paul
InducedComa's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I got my steering wheel controls today. I didn't want to post the part number because the price seemed too low to be what I needed. Turns out I was wrong and the 2014 steering wheel controls are $96.61 from Camelback Toyota. I would recommend ordering parts from these guys as they really know what they are talking about. Its gonna be a few more days before I can get them installed but I'll report back with some step by step pictures.

I just wonder if you will need to change the wiring harness that runs from the steering wheel controls all the way to the stereo. Or are you going to just add a wire to go from the 2 wire spiral to the 3 wire spiral?
Old 02-20-2014, 07:25 PM   #74
TacoRaider is on a distinguished road
Name: Ben
TacoRaider's Tacoma Gallery
Hey Yogster

Do you know if the 2013 basic (non jbl) head unit has the voice control functionality built in? In other words, is lacking the voice control button on the steering wheel the only thing preventing this feature from being available to everyone?

thanks in advance
Old 02-20-2014, 07:42 PM   #75
tacotacoburrito is on a distinguished road
tacotacoburrito's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

Sweet! You didn't happen to get the PN for the wiring harness did you?
Old 02-20-2014, 11:21 PM   #76
Remember?
sr5vic is a splendid one to beholdsr5vic is a splendid one to beholdsr5vic is a splendid one to beholdsr5vic is a splendid one to beholdsr5vic is a splendid one to beholdsr5vic is a splendid one to beholdsr5vic is a splendid one to beholdsr5vic is a splendid one to behold

Name: Bret
sr5vic's Tacoma Gallery
He didn't buy a harness. We're hoping the stock one works. Lol

thanks. I'm gunna pull the trigger on those. They look too good. I'm hoping the integrate better with the nav controls.
Old 02-21-2014, 04:49 AM   #77
merkwürdigliebe

yogster's Tacoma Gallery
There is no harness required. All of the CONNECTORS are there. There is a 4th steering wheel control wire that runs from the S8 connector on the steering column to the R15 connector on the radio. You would need to route that wire.

This 4th wire will carry the "Return/enter" and "left/right" button presses.

None of the other wires/connections are different and all of those button presses should work the same.

Now, what I do not know - I posted this elsewhere- is the spiral cable. The spiral cable carries the signals from the steering wheel controls to the S8 connector. I'm assuming the spiral cable connects ALL pins, not just the ones in use. There are different spiral cable assemblies. There seems to be two options, one for base truck with just horn, and all others. I'm assuming that the spiral cable has all available connections, used or not. (Did I just say that twice? ) If this is not the case, the spiral cable is about $150, and the job becomes more difficult. Metal4130 will have the answer soon, if not I have one coming in in a few days.

At any rate, for those of you with a 2013 WITHOUT the voice control button, this set will add that feature - it uses existing wire pairs. This is a "cheap" way to get that feature. The 2013 controls with that feature are upwards of $280.00

Also, not you do NOT need to wait 30 minutes after disconnecting battery. The RM states wait "90 seconds" before unplugging airbag. Not in this thread, but someone mentioned that elsewhere...
Old 02-21-2014, 06:12 AM   #78
Quote:
There is no harness required. All of the CONNECTORS are there. There is a 4th steering wheel control wire that runs from the S8 connector on the steering column to the R15 connector on the radio. You would need to route that wire.

This 4th wire will carry the "Return/enter" and "left/right" button presses.

None of the other wires/connections are different and all of those button presses should work the same.

Now, what I do not know - I posted this elsewhere- is the spiral cable. The spiral cable carries the signals from the steering wheel controls to the S8 connector. I'm assuming the spiral cable connects ALL pins, not just the ones in use. There are different spiral cable assemblies. There seems to be two options, one for base truck with just horn, and all others. I'm assuming that the spiral cable has all available connections, used or not. (Did I just say that twice? ) If this is not the case, the spiral cable is about $150, and the job becomes more difficult. Metal4130 will have the answer soon, if not I have one coming in in a few days.

At any rate, for those of you with a 2013 WITHOUT the voice control button, this set will add that feature - it uses existing wire pairs. This is a "cheap" way to get that feature. The 2013 controls with that feature are upwards of $280.00

Also, not you do NOT need to wait 30 minutes after disconnecting battery. The RM states wait "90 seconds" before unplugging airbag. Not in this thread, but someone mentioned that elsewhere...
Yes, but the pictures I've seen of the spiral cable only showed 3 wires. That was my concern. I haven't hopped on TIS to compare the 2013 to 2014 diagrams. Since the OEM parts catalog for the 14's isn't up yet I don't have a way to compare PNs from the 2013 and 14. It's nice to know that crashed 2014 4Runners are also possible parts donors though.
Old 02-21-2014, 06:58 AM   #79
merkwürdigliebe

yogster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacotacoburrito View Post
Yes, but the pictures I've seen of the spiral cable only showed 3 wires. That was my concern. I haven't hopped on TIS to compare the 2013 to 2014 diagrams. Since the OEM parts catalog for the 14's isn't up yet I don't have a way to compare PNs from the 2013 and 14. It's nice to know that crashed 2014 4Runners are also possible parts donors though.
The ones I've seen show 12 pins on the S8 connector, and 12 pins on the steering wheel-to-controls connector. What is unknown is if the actual ribbon cable in the assembly contains all 12 connections (actually more than 12 including the other connector for the airbag). We'll know soon enough.
Old 02-21-2014, 08:41 AM   #80
Quote:
The ones I've seen show 12 pins on the S8 connector, and 12 pins on the steering wheel-to-controls connector. What is unknown is if the actual ribbon cable in the assembly contains all 12 connections (actually more than 12 including the other connector for the airbag). We'll know soon enough.
Yup, pulled the trigger on the switches as well.