1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Rear Access Panel Removal 07 Tacoma

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by jamespinckne, Dec 1, 2006.

1. Dec 1, 2006 at 6:51 AM
    jamespinckne

jamespinckne [OP] New Member

Member:
    Hello All,
    I have an 07 Toyota Tacoma Access Cab 4x4. I want to replace the speakers on the rear access cab door panels. I noticed they are screwed together with star head screws. Any suggestions on proper removal of the rear panel? It seems weird to me that they would use these type of screws when they used phillips head screws on the front door. Makes it seem like they dont want you to remove that panel. Is it just as easy as popping off the grill? Oh and i ordered the taco tunes install kit so I have to get the bracket in there. Well let me know and at least i have the front speakers installed.
    Thanks, JP

2. Dec 1, 2006 at 2:19 PM
    Jeff

Jeff Well-Known Member

Member:
    Hopkinton,MA
    Vehicle:
    Nice 6spd,V6, very solid truck
    None currently, but I would like a better sounding exhaust and perhaps a cold air pack and some color coded step bars
    Since I have a 06 and the same cab I thought I might check mine out, now I did not pry anything apart but it looks like the screws are hidden under various rubbers and grommets and 10 to 1 there are plastic clips that hold a lot of that on.
    I would use a tool that body men use to find those plastic retainers and gently loosen them. Also, if you have a toyota shop manual or if the dealer will let you look at theirs you might get a better idea as to where they are or ask the body shop guys( a box of donuts or a 6pack of beer wouldn't hurt. You may want the dealer to get you some extra clips as they often break. Always a good thing to have.
    Now as for the screws, auto manufacturers are famous for changing fasteners when ever they get a better price (read cheaper) and the vender will always give them the proper tool that fits.
    Anything to throw a monkey wrench into the works. Once they are off you can replace them with regular screws or torx. Let us know how it works out.

3. Apr 15, 2007 at 7:55 PM
    Steve762us

Steve762us Well-Known Member

Member:
    The access doors are pretty easy. Undo the two torx fasteners in pull handles; pull off cover on lower seatbelt bolt and undo bolt. Use the special bodyshop tool to undo the panel (curl your fingertips under edge of panel and pull smartly) by popping clips loose. There are about ten finned christmas tree style clips, and one "pop-rivet" style clip, up top...that one I tend to break. There may be a trick to undoing that one, but I don't know it!

While your in there, deaden the door panels. In fact, deaden the doors before you decide you need new speaks. Either way you'll benefit from the process.

Products Discussed in

To Top