Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Audio & Video

Notices

Pioneer appradio 3

Old 12-03-2013, 03:31 PM   #41
That one guy
Aw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Colby
Aw9d's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agro View Post
AR2 is the same as AR3 except that you cannot do A2DP bluetooth streaming on AR2 with your devices.

It can be convenient to just click Bluetooth on the headunit and play music from your phone. But if you hook up the cable, then they are the same.
Incorrect. BT audio sounds much different than a direct cable due to compression.

Stream a .wav on a high end system via BT then plug the source directly into via 3.5mm cable and you'll hear the difference.
Old 12-03-2013, 03:33 PM   #42
Agro has much to be proud ofAgro has much to be proud ofAgro has much to be proud ofAgro has much to be proud ofAgro has much to be proud ofAgro has much to be proud ofAgro has much to be proud ofAgro has much to be proud ofAgro has much to be proud of
Agro's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aw9d View Post
Incorrect. BT audio sounds much different than a direct cable due to compression.

Stream a .wav on a high end system via BT then plug the source directly into via 3.5mm cable and you'll hear the difference.
What I was trying to convey by the same is that the AR2 and the AR3 are the same hardware/software other than you cant do A2DP audio over BT with AR2, but you can with AR3. So somewhere in the firmware for AR3, they allow it, where they do not for AR2.

Same processor, same screen, same everything else..
Old 12-03-2013, 03:35 PM   #43
That one guy
Aw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Colby
Aw9d's Tacoma Gallery
Gotcha, sorry for my mistake. And yes you are right, the hardware specs look to be exact same as AR2, which sucks.
Old 12-03-2013, 08:08 PM   #44
Sounds Gooooood
ItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
ItalynStylion's Tacoma Gallery
I need to go to the store and play with one of these tomorrow. I have an HTC One and hope it works well on this!
Old 12-03-2013, 08:59 PM   #45
Agro has much to be proud ofAgro has much to be proud ofAgro has much to be proud ofAgro has much to be proud ofAgro has much to be proud ofAgro has much to be proud ofAgro has much to be proud ofAgro has much to be proud ofAgro has much to be proud of
Agro's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItalynStylion View Post
I need to go to the store and play with one of these tomorrow. I have an HTC One and hope it works well on this!
This works real well on my friends HTC One and his AR3.
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2451980

I recommend trying it out. no need to buy it unless you want to support the guy, because you don't need the GPS add-on since your phone has GPS.
Old 12-04-2013, 06:16 AM   #46
Jstrumpf is on a distinguished road

Jstrumpf's Tacoma Gallery
I was looking on pioneers webstie and found a list of apps you can use with AR 3. Does anyone know if you can add your own apps? or only use the apps listed on the website??
Old 12-04-2013, 06:33 AM   #47
fau8823 is a name known to allfau8823 is a name known to allfau8823 is a name known to allfau8823 is a name known to allfau8823 is a name known to allfau8823 is a name known to all
Name: Tom
fau8823's Tacoma Gallery
To you guys who have app radio mode in any of your pioneer radios......have you noticed that your forward and back steering wheel controls don't work in app radio mode? Only the volume controls work for me. If I'm outside of app radio mode (pandora or Bluetooth), everything works perfectly. Is this a glitch or did I do something wrong? I have an iPhone 5 with the necessary cables and adapters.

I have to say, I'm pretty unhappy with the unit I bought (bhs3500). I bought it instead of the app radio because I wanted the DVD/cd capability and the app radio with that feature isn't compatible with our trucks, according to crutchfield.

To the poster above......you can only use compatible apps listed on pioneers website in app radio mode.
Old 12-04-2013, 06:42 AM   #48
jlleiber will become famous soon enough
Name: Justin
jlleiber's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jstrumpf View Post
I was looking on pioneers webstie and found a list of apps you can use with AR 3. Does anyone know if you can add your own apps? or only use the apps listed on the website??
Only compatible apps - Unless you jailbreak your iphone or root your android, in which case you can use whatever apps you want
Old 12-04-2013, 06:44 AM   #49
jlleiber will become famous soon enough
Name: Justin
jlleiber's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by fau8823 View Post

I bought it instead of the app radio because I wanted the DVD/cd capability and the app radio with that feature isn't compatible with our trucks, according to crutchfield.
You may want to ask around on this, I've seen a lot of people say CF tells them the fold down units aren't compatible, but a lot of people have fold down units...May just be a CF thing
Old 12-04-2013, 07:10 AM   #50
Sounds Gooooood
ItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
This works real well on my friends HTC One and his AR3.
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2451980

I recommend trying it out. no need to buy it unless you want to support the guy, because you don't need the GPS add-on since your phone has GPS.
Is it me or is that app not even listed in the Google Play store?
Old 12-04-2013, 07:18 AM   #51
Sounds Gooooood

Nevermind, you have to download it from his media fire account. I just installed it and will be looking for a display unit to play with later today.
Old 12-04-2013, 09:51 AM   #52
fau8823 is a name known to allfau8823 is a name known to allfau8823 is a name known to allfau8823 is a name known to allfau8823 is a name known to allfau8823 is a name known to all
Name: Tom
fau8823's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlleiber View Post
You may want to ask around on this, I've seen a lot of people say CF tells them the fold down units aren't compatible, but a lot of people have fold down units...May just be a CF thing
Well, kinda late now. I've had my stereo for about a month. I guess I'm stuck with it hoping for a better firmware update. And the app radio function is what sucks, IMO. Definitely was expecting better functionality. Makes me appreciate the quality of apple products.
Old 12-04-2013, 10:50 AM   #53
Agro's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by fau8823 View Post
To you guys who have app radio mode in any of your pioneer radios......have you noticed that your forward and back steering wheel controls don't work in app radio mode? Only the volume controls work for me. If I'm outside of app radio mode (pandora or Bluetooth), everything works perfectly. Is this a glitch or did I do something wrong? I have an iPhone 5 with the necessary cables and adapters.

I have to say, I'm pretty unhappy with the unit I bought (bhs3500). I bought it instead of the app radio because I wanted the DVD/cd capability and the app radio with that feature isn't compatible with our trucks, according to crutchfield.

To the poster above......you can only use compatible apps listed on pioneers website in app radio mode.
I bet CF is wrong. It is identical except that it has the button on the front for the face to fold down to access the CD/DVD. Otherwise the same connectors on the rear and same hardware otherwise.

I dont care for DVD/CD and so I didnt want it.

I have zero issues with the up/down track buttons and volume and mode and call hangup/pickup when in ANY mode. I can be in radio, bluetooth, app mode, pandora, etc. they always work.

You cannot hit phone pickup and have it bring up a call mode like the stock 2013 headunit. But if someone calls you can hit pickup and it picks up. That's fine with me.
Old 12-04-2013, 10:57 AM   #54
Agro's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Nevermind, you have to download it from his media fire account. I just installed it and will be looking for a display unit to play with later today.
Here's some more food for thought.

AppRadio3 output power on the USB cable is 500mAh. It uses HDMI to display to the screen and bluetooth to control. It's seamless, but what it means is that your screen on your phone is ON. Your phone uses more power than the AR3 provides. Your phone WILL go down on power while using it and eventually run out of power (long road trips). It also gets really hot having the screen on, apps chugging, GPS running, etc.

There are hacks I hear about where people run separate cables to try to get 2.1A by soldering wires, etc. you can google it. Also, you can get a hack for Android to disable the screen itself but have the phone still think it is running the screen. It saves a little juice, but still 500mAh isnt enough. You get about 5-6 hours before you have to unplug it and plug it in to a regular charger with the screen off, get back to 100% and then go back at it.

Doesnt happen on iPhone 5 (my experience), but the iPhone is so limited in comparison, as long as there is no jailbreak for iOS 7 so far.
Old 12-05-2013, 08:18 AM   #55
Sounds Gooooood

Interesting. The screen really takes that much juice? I mean the AC wall charger only outputs 1A on my HTC One.
Old 12-05-2013, 08:20 AM   #56
Sounds Gooooood

Also, I played with the AppRadio3 yesterday at a local CarToys. There isn't much functionality unless your phone works with it. Problem is, the demo board didn't have the proper cord for my phone.

Apparently the phone specific cords are VERY expensive. Like, $80 expensive for Android and over $100 for iPhone. Why the hell can't it use a normal USB cord?
Old 12-05-2013, 08:27 AM   #57
The Sailing Memebr
anders99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedanders99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedanders99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedanders99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedanders99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedanders99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedanders99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedanders99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedanders99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedanders99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedanders99 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matthew
anders99's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Here's some more food for thought.

AppRadio3 output power on the USB cable is 500mAh. It uses HDMI to display to the screen and bluetooth to control. It's seamless, but what it means is that your screen on your phone is ON. Your phone uses more power than the AR3 provides. Your phone WILL go down on power while using it and eventually run out of power (long road trips). It also gets really hot having the screen on, apps chugging, GPS running, etc.

There are hacks I hear about where people run separate cables to try to get 2.1A by soldering wires, etc. you can google it. Also, you can get a hack for Android to disable the screen itself but have the phone still think it is running the screen. It saves a little juice, but still 500mAh isnt enough. You get about 5-6 hours before you have to unplug it and plug it in to a regular charger with the screen off, get back to 100% and then go back at it.

Doesnt happen on iPhone 5 (my experience), but the iPhone is so limited in comparison, as long as there is no jailbreak for iOS 7 so far.
I drove across country using music, maps, and dash command streamed through my phone and my AR2 and my phone never dipped below 100% the whole time
Old 12-05-2013, 08:42 AM   #58
Agro's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by anders99 View Post
I drove across country using music, maps, and dash command streamed through my phone and my AR2 and my phone never dipped below 100% the whole time
HTC One?
And you were in AppMode so the screen for your HTC One was on the whole time then. Not bluetooth streaming.
Old 12-05-2013, 08:43 AM   #59
Agro's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Also, I played with the AppRadio3 yesterday at a local CarToys. There isn't much functionality unless your phone works with it. Problem is, the demo board didn't have the proper cord for my phone.

Apparently the phone specific cords are VERY expensive. Like, $80 expensive for Android and over $100 for iPhone. Why the hell can't it use a normal USB cord?
It uses HDMI to display the video. Android you can get a cheap MHL adapter and a HDMI cable (standard) plugged in to the headunit and be running for quite cheap. look on newegg or monoprice

For iPhone you need a lightning cable and the apple hdmi adapter, as well as pioneer cable, so the whole thing is over $100 unfortunately.
Old 12-05-2013, 08:43 AM   #60
The Sailing Memebr
anders99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedanders99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedanders99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedanders99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedanders99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedanders99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedanders99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedanders99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedanders99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedanders99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedanders99 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matthew
anders99's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
HTC One?
And you were in AppMode so the screen for your HTC One was on the whole time then. Not bluetooth streaming.
iPhone 4. plugged into the head unit and bluetooth for calls