1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

PA Speaker Question

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by 1993t100, Dec 26, 2013.

1. Dec 26, 2013 at 4:41 PM
    1993t100

1993t100 [OP] I’m good looking and I drive a Jeep.

Member:
    First Name:
    Big Sexy
    Nebraska
    Vehicle:
    Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
    Okay, so today I went out and purchased a RadioShack PA "PowerHorn". It's rated between 25w-50w RMS, and has two leads, a positive and a negative. I also have the 3.5mm to positive and negative wire, which I wired up to my CB and works just fine.

But it got me thinking, because my truck is a single cab, I'm not using the two "rear left + rear right" positive and negative wires on the back of my aftermarket head unit, so why not wire those to my PA speaker?

If I wanted to listen to music just in the cab, I would switch the balance to the front, and if I wanted to listen to both, put it in the middle, and if I only wanted music to come over the PA speaker, I would put the balance slider all the way to the rear.

I also have a rear AUX on the back of my headunit I'm not using, so I could wire my PA from my CB to the rear aux and it would be like having a 25w amp powering my PA speaker. Wouldn't be much louder, but then I could play music over it too.

What do you all think, will it work? I started to work on it tonight, but it got a little chilly, so I'm going to finish first thing tomorrow morning.

2. Dec 26, 2013 at 4:48 PM
    snowtank

snowtank Where the fuck did my beer go!

Member:
    First Name:
    Andrew
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    11 txpro dcsb 08 trd sprt dcsb
    Some stuff here and there....
    You are talking about the PA that is used for outside the truck? Those rear power cords are used for putting a additional speaker inside the cab. The pa you have might be way to loud for inside. I believe my pa (rated at 35) is my exterior speaker. (Used for yelling at dumb ass drivers)

3. Dec 26, 2013 at 4:53 PM
    1993t100

Member:
    First Name:
    Big Sexy
    Nebraska
    Vehicle:
    Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
    Oh silly me, haha. My PA speaker is mounted outside of my cab; it's under the hood. I just want to be able to be hanging around my truck, and throw on some tunes outside of the cab. No real purpose, just a cool conversation starter.

The only two speakers I have in the cab of my truck are aftermarket ones in the doors. I wouldn't be using the PA in my cab. Although that would be kinda cool too :rolleyes:

4. Dec 26, 2013 at 5:06 PM
    snowtank

Member:
    First Name:
    Andrew
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    Ok haha yeah. I was a little confused. But I dont think it would work due to those wires being connected only to the receiving transmission from others talking and coming out your internal speaker inside the Cb. Basically designed to be able to make it louder in the cab. I have not tried hooking mine up to play music. Almost think it would be easier to just get another pa speaker and hook that up to the rear speaker inputs in the back of your head unit.

5. Dec 26, 2013 at 5:22 PM
    1993t100

Member:
    First Name:
    Big Sexy
    Nebraska
    Vehicle:
    Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
    I'm not quite sure what you mean. All I want to do is hook my PA speaker to the rear output of my head unit, and keep it placed under the hood. Essentially using my head unit as a mini amp.

If I want to talk over the PA, I switch my input to rear aux (which is the 3.5mm coming from the "PA" port on my CB to the back of my head unit) and keeping the balance set to the "rear" speakers (aka the PA speaker).

6. Dec 26, 2013 at 5:47 PM
    snowtank

Member:
    First Name:
    Andrew
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    Yeah I think we are saying the same thing just in different words haha. But I wouldn't know for sure without looking at it. I'm just thinking of my set up which is more than likely different than yours.

Products Discussed in

To Top