Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Audio & Video

Notices

OEM Camera Connection below Dash

Old 02-16-2011, 06:21 AM   #41
JLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Josh
JLink's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by rawdogie View Post
I had an audio shop install my AVIC 120bt. They cant seem to get the back up camera to integrate well in my 2011 DC. I have had it at their shop two weekends in a row now trying to troubleshoot this.

First weekend they couldnt get it to consistently work. They said it would display video from the camera for about 30 seconds then cut off and then wouldnt come back on when moving the shifter from R -> P -> R. They said they had to totally unplug the camera, replug it and then it would work again.

Second weekend everything seemed to be working. Got the truck back and it worked for a day. Now when i put it in reverse it shows a black screen and sometimes says "caution: image may be reversed". The shop says to bring it back and they will look at it again.

anyone have any ideas?
Idk.. I used this thread as a guide for my install and had no problems. I guess have them make sure they tapped into the correct wires for the rear view camera and for the reverse sensor. Maybe print out and install thread from here to have them check
Old 03-17-2011, 07:43 PM   #43
Jerry Bear has a spectacular aura aboutJerry Bear has a spectacular aura about
Name: Jerry
Jerry Bear's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLink View Post
The camera should also be wired to a 12v when in reverse so it knows when to turn on/off.

The OEM backup camera runs on 6 Volts DC, not 12 Volts. The power supply to the camera should not exceed 7.05 VDC.

I know this from the factory service manual and because I tested an OEM camera on the bench yesterday with a 6 Volt power supply.

The OEM mirror/display supplies 6 VDC power to the camera when it receives the 12 Volt backup light signal.

The OEM camera outputs standard NTSC composite video and will drive the composite video input of any display intended for use in North America. I used the composite input of a TV for my bench test.

I just checked my 2010 and the lower connector (Factory Camera connector) is exactly the same as shown in the photo below of a 2009.

The upper connector (Red wire = reverse signal trigger) is different on my 2010. It doesn't have a yellow wire. It does have the red wire, and the 2010 Electrical Wiring Diagram says that the red wire is the right place to attach the reverse light wire from the HU. Be careful. On my 2010, there is also a pink wire on the same connector. Don't connect to the wrong wire.

Thanks to everyone who has posted about this. It was very helpful to me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmartshopper View Post
Old 03-18-2011, 04:12 AM   #44
rawdogie is on a distinguished road
rawdogie's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bear View Post

The OEM backup camera runs on 6 Volts DC, not 12 Volts. The power supply to the camera should not exceed 7.05 VDC.

I know this from the factory service manual and because I tested an OEM camera on the bench yesterday with a 6 Volt power supply.

The OEM mirror/display supplies 6 VDC power to the camera when it receives the 12 Volt backup light signal.

The OEM camera outputs standard NTSC composite video and will drive the composite video input of any display intended for use in North America. I used the composite input of a TV for my bench test.

I just checked my 2010 and the lower connector (Factory Camera connector) is exactly the same as shown in the photo below of a 2009.

The upper connector (Red wire = reverse signal trigger) is different on my 2010. It doesn't have a yellow wire. It does have the red wire, and the 2010 Electrical Wiring Diagram says that the red wire is the right place to attach the reverse light wire from the HU. Be careful. On my 2010, there is also a pink wire on the same connector. Don't connect to the wrong wire.

Thanks to everyone who has posted about this. It was very helpful to me.

AWW CRAP......the guys that installed my Pioneer head unit couldnt get the back up camera to work and they said they called Toyota who confirmed it was a 12 volt camera. They could never get it to work so we hooked up an aftermarket camera in the stock location. It works now, but i really liked the stock camera better. It had much better peripheral visibility. Surprising i know. Sucks to think all they had to do is wire it up as a 6 volt.
Old 04-03-2011, 12:13 PM   #47
Time Traveler
MartyMcfly is one of the sharper tools in the shedMartyMcfly is one of the sharper tools in the shedMartyMcfly is one of the sharper tools in the shedMartyMcfly is one of the sharper tools in the shedMartyMcfly is one of the sharper tools in the shedMartyMcfly is one of the sharper tools in the shedMartyMcfly is one of the sharper tools in the shedMartyMcfly is one of the sharper tools in the shedMartyMcfly is one of the sharper tools in the shedMartyMcfly is one of the sharper tools in the shedMartyMcfly is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: ROB
MartyMcfly's Tacoma Gallery
Ok guys. Hoping for some help here. I cannot get this thing to work.

Anyone have this setup? factory backup camera but no backup review mirror?

I have a base 09 reg cab. No backup mirror.
However, from the factory, the truck does have the backup camera installed, wiring harness, and backup camera connector under the fuse box. And I've confirmed that it's all hooked up.

I have the AVIC-Z110bt installed (with z120 software upgrade).

Reverse signal wire hooked up and working, so the head unit does recognize reverse and displays the message for reverse images blah blah.

However, the camera image does not display on the head unit.

A coax video cable is connected to the head unit and the other end split and soldered onto the red and black wires as instructed. (negative is "shielding" black and positive is "center wire" red). All factory backup camera wires are still connected as instructed.

wtf?

Am I missing something? Is it because my truck doesn't have the towing package? Am I missing a fuse or relay or something?

Can someone with the backup camera mirror please post an image of their fuse box and fuse & relays? I'm thinking that maybe the backup camera is hooked up to the Towing Relay missing from my truck but I don't know what relay it's supposed to use. I moved one of the blue relays to the empty towing relay port and tried it. no dice. I grabbed a spare fuse and plugged it into every empty port under the hood and under the dash. no dice.

Thanks.
Old 04-03-2011, 10:33 PM   #48
Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyMcfly View Post
Ok guys. Hoping for some help here. I cannot get this thing to work.

I have a base 09 reg cab. No backup mirror.
However, from the factory, the truck does have the backup camera installed, wiring harness, and backup camera connector under the fuse box. And I've confirmed that it's all hooked up.

I have the AVIC-Z110bt installed (with z120 software upgrade).

Reverse signal wire hooked up and working, so the head unit does recognize reverse and displays the message for reverse images blah blah.

However, the camera image does not display on the head unit.

A coax video cable is connected to the head unit and the other end split and soldered onto the red and black wires as instructed. (negative is "shielding" black and positive is "center wire" red). All factory backup camera wires are still connected as instructed.

wtf?

Am I missing something? Is it because my truck doesn't have the towing package? Am I missing a fuse or relay or something?

Can someone with the backup camera mirror please post an image of their fuse box and fuse & relays? I'm thinking that maybe the backup camera is hooked up to the Towing Relay missing from my truck but I don't know what relay it's supposed to use. I moved one of the blue relays to the empty towing relay port and tried it. no dice. I grabbed a spare fuse and plugged it into every empty port under the hood and under the dash. no dice.

Thanks.
I believe that you need a 6 VDC supply to the camera:
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...up-camera.html
Old 04-05-2011, 10:58 AM   #49
Time Traveler
MartyMcfly is one of the sharper tools in the shedMartyMcfly is one of the sharper tools in the shedMartyMcfly is one of the sharper tools in the shedMartyMcfly is one of the sharper tools in the shedMartyMcfly is one of the sharper tools in the shedMartyMcfly is one of the sharper tools in the shedMartyMcfly is one of the sharper tools in the shedMartyMcfly is one of the sharper tools in the shedMartyMcfly is one of the sharper tools in the shedMartyMcfly is one of the sharper tools in the shedMartyMcfly is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
I believe that you need a 6 VDC supply to the camera:
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...up-camera.html
I think you're right.

Anyone know if there is 6 vdc source already present in the truck somewhere? I mean, what is the factory power source for the camera? Where is it?

Thanks.
Old 04-05-2011, 02:17 PM   #50
Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyMcfly View Post
I think you're right.

Anyone know if there is 6 vdc source already present in the truck somewhere? I mean, what is the factory power source for the camera? Where is it?

Thanks.
The rearview mirror with display has a 12 VDC to 6 VDC converter. I don't know of anywhere else in the truck to get 6 VDC.
Old 04-05-2011, 03:21 PM   #51
Time Traveler

Quote:
The rearview mirror with display has a 12 VDC to 6 VDC converter. I don't know of anywhere else in the truck to get 6 VDC.
That would explain it. Sheeeit.

Thanks
Old 04-17-2011, 04:25 PM   #52
The Shocker and Me Tall Dark TACO
CCFBERG is one of the sharper tools in the shedCCFBERG is one of the sharper tools in the shedCCFBERG is one of the sharper tools in the shedCCFBERG is one of the sharper tools in the shedCCFBERG is one of the sharper tools in the shedCCFBERG is one of the sharper tools in the shedCCFBERG is one of the sharper tools in the shedCCFBERG is one of the sharper tools in the shedCCFBERG is one of the sharper tools in the shedCCFBERG is one of the sharper tools in the shedCCFBERG is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: 19 EMS AERO REPAIR/CRASH RECOVERY
Name: Shawn
CCFBERG's Tacoma Gallery
Thumbs up

Did this Mod today. Works Great!!! When I was testing out everything before making any perm connections, I was having the "black scrolling line" changed out the AV cable to a high end AV cable and its crystal clear now. Thanks to the OP and everyone else that posted up on this Mod. Its been irritating me that my HU has the capability to display the BU cam but hasnt been connected up until today.

Old 06-01-2011, 03:09 PM   #53
Speak English..it's America
testedone is a glorious beacon of lighttestedone is a glorious beacon of lighttestedone is a glorious beacon of lighttestedone is a glorious beacon of lighttestedone is a glorious beacon of lighttestedone is a glorious beacon of light

Army: 11B
Name: Rick
testedone's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks fro the tips guy, did this install in 25 minutes. used pins to insert into the factory harness as shown in the instructions... very cool mod...
Old 07-20-2011, 10:41 PM   #54
2010 tacoma v6 fox's
cgrove04 is on a distinguished road

Name: Cory
cgrove04's Tacoma Gallery
hey how do I get rid of the scrolling black lines yall, I used a high end rca cable too, and im still getting those freakin lines any ideas.
Old 07-21-2011, 06:02 AM   #55
mrmumbels will become famous soon enoughmrmumbels will become famous soon enough
Marines: Sgt CSSG-1
mrmumbels's Tacoma Gallery
I used a sheilded cable and had the same issue. Turns out it was just how I connected it under the dash. Try reconnecting it a few times and you'll get it. If you wiggle the wires down there you'll probably see it temporarily get better.
Old 08-18-2011, 11:11 PM   #56
SxDx is one of the sharper tools in the shedSxDx is one of the sharper tools in the shedSxDx is one of the sharper tools in the shedSxDx is one of the sharper tools in the shedSxDx is one of the sharper tools in the shedSxDx is one of the sharper tools in the shedSxDx is one of the sharper tools in the shedSxDx is one of the sharper tools in the shedSxDx is one of the sharper tools in the shedSxDx is one of the sharper tools in the shedSxDx is one of the sharper tools in the shed
SxDx's Tacoma Gallery
Ok I have a few questions. I did this today and for the most part i did it correct (i think). I have a Pioneer 4300dvd headunit.
This is where I am stumped....
1. I connected the RCA wire to "Video In" on the headunit and in order for it to show my reverse cam I need to toggle the unit to A/V. Do I have the RCA in the wrong plug on the headunit?
2. In order for the unit to recognize reverse I know i need to tap into the reverse signal, is this done by running a separate wire altogether? If so, once i connect the pin into the reverse signal under the coin box where do I run it to on the HU?

Here's a picture of the back of my headunit if it helps any.

Old 08-19-2011, 05:38 AM   #57
Taco Sauce
Yota Toy is a glorious beacon of lightYota Toy is a glorious beacon of lightYota Toy is a glorious beacon of lightYota Toy is a glorious beacon of lightYota Toy is a glorious beacon of light
Yota Toy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SxDx View Post
Ok I have a few questions. I did this today and for the most part i did it correct (i think). I have a Pioneer 4300dvd headunit.
This is where I am stumped....
1. I connected the RCA wire to "Video In" on the headunit and in order for it to show my reverse cam I need to toggle the unit to A/V. Do I have the RCA in the wrong plug on the headunit?
2. In order for the unit to recognize reverse I know i need to tap into the reverse signal, is this done by running a separate wire altogether? If so, once i connect the pin into the reverse signal under the coin box where do I run it to on the HU?

Here's a picture of the back of my headunit if it helps any.

There should be a separate input that says "Camera".
You do have to run a separate wire for the reverse signal, and there should be a input on your head unit just for this.

I found the owners manual for that unit, attached is a screenshot of the camera connection and reverse wire connection.

I used this thread as a guide when I installed my new head unit and it worked perfectly the first time.
Attached Thumbnails
OEM Camera Connection below Dash-4300.jpg  
Old 08-19-2011, 10:41 AM   #58
SxDx is one of the sharper tools in the shedSxDx is one of the sharper tools in the shedSxDx is one of the sharper tools in the shedSxDx is one of the sharper tools in the shedSxDx is one of the sharper tools in the shedSxDx is one of the sharper tools in the shedSxDx is one of the sharper tools in the shedSxDx is one of the sharper tools in the shedSxDx is one of the sharper tools in the shedSxDx is one of the sharper tools in the shedSxDx is one of the sharper tools in the shed
SxDx's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks a lot yota, I saw the rc in but never snapped that it was for the camera. As for the reverse signal input on the headunit, is it within the harness that is plugged in? Do I need to run a fuse resistor between the pin and wire for the input? Thanks again, this guide really helps. Much appreciated.
Old 08-19-2011, 11:00 AM   #59
Taco Sauce
Yota Toy is a glorious beacon of lightYota Toy is a glorious beacon of lightYota Toy is a glorious beacon of lightYota Toy is a glorious beacon of lightYota Toy is a glorious beacon of light
Yota Toy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SxDx View Post
Thanks a lot yota, I saw the rc in but never snapped that it was for the camera. As for the reverse signal input on the headunit, is it within the harness that is plugged in? Do I need to run a fuse resistor between the pin and wire for the input? Thanks again, this guide really helps. Much appreciated.
It appears that the reverse wire should be a violet/white wire on your new 4300DVD harness that needs to be connected to the wire specified in this picture. I really don't know what a "fuse resistor" is so I can't comment. If you are asking if you should put an in-line fuse in this reverse wire circuit, I didn't but you should use your own judgment. I used this wire for my JVC KWNT30HD and it worked great on the first try.

Old 11-30-2011, 03:37 PM   #60
Whitster has much to be proud ofWhitster has much to be proud ofWhitster has much to be proud ofWhitster has much to be proud ofWhitster has much to be proud ofWhitster has much to be proud ofWhitster has much to be proud ofWhitster has much to be proud ofWhitster has much to be proud of

Name: Whit
Whitster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmartshopper View Post
Messing around with the volt meter I think I found it! Its the Red Wire in the connector above the camera connector.
Sorry for the hacked picture, no time have to get back to work

Thanks for all your efforts, mine finally worked fine with your info.
On mine the connector for the 'reverse signal' was on the smaller red wire in the connector. (There were two red wires in my 2009)

I cut up a cable that had the bogus 'gold' connectors, but it does have more shielding than the audio cables, and used that. Worked fine no hash, lines or static.

Thanks again,

Whit