1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

OEM Camera Connection below Dash

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by DNahas, Mar 19, 2009.

1. Feb 16, 2011 at 6:21 AM
    JLink

JLink Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Ocean, NJ
    Lifted, Locked, Armored. Ready To Wheel.
    Idk.. I used this thread as a guide for my install and had no problems. I guess have them make sure they tapped into the correct wires for the rear view camera and for the reverse sensor. Maybe print out and install thread from here to have them check

2. Mar 17, 2011 at 1:42 PM
    TacoDawgfan

TacoDawgfan Hunker Down You Hairy Dawg!

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    2011 Silver 4x4 TRD Sport w/JBL
    5100's at 1.75, Rear leaf TSB, Moto Metal 951 16x8, BFG TKO2 265/75/16, AFe Stage 2 CAI w/pro dry filter, Kenwood DDX374BT installed with Idatalink Maestro kit, Access Loredo tonneau cover, N-Fab steps, Tinted windows, EGR in channel vent visors, UGA drink coasters in the front cup holders, and a Graco car seat in the back seat
  3. Mar 17, 2011 at 7:43 PM
    Jerry Bear

Jerry Bear Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jerry
    Mesquite, Texas
    Vehicle:
    2010 Access Cab
    tint, topper, receiver hitch, trailer wiring, topper lighting, cruise control, intermittent wipers, backup camera, auto-dim mirror
    :eek:

The OEM backup camera runs on 6 Volts DC, not 12 Volts. The power supply to the camera should not exceed 7.05 VDC.

I know this from the factory service manual and because I tested an OEM camera on the bench yesterday with a 6 Volt power supply.

The OEM mirror/display supplies 6 VDC power to the camera when it receives the 12 Volt backup light signal.

The OEM camera outputs standard NTSC composite video and will drive the composite video input of any display intended for use in North America. I used the composite input of a TV for my bench test.

I just checked my 2010 and the lower connector (Factory Camera connector) is exactly the same as shown in the photo below of a 2009.

The upper connector (Red wire = reverse signal trigger) is different on my 2010. It doesn't have a yellow wire. It does have the red wire, and the 2010 Electrical Wiring Diagram says that the red wire is the right place to attach the reverse light wire from the HU. Be careful. On my 2010, there is also a pink wire on the same connector. Don't connect to the wrong wire.

Thanks to everyone who has posted about this. It was very helpful to me.

Zaphron likes this.
  4. Mar 18, 2011 at 4:12 AM
    rawdogie

rawdogie Member

Member:
    GA
    Vehicle:
    PreRunner

AWW CRAP......the guys that installed my Pioneer head unit couldnt get the back up camera to work and they said they called Toyota who confirmed it was a 12 volt camera. They could never get it to work so we hooked up an aftermarket camera in the stock location. It works now, but i really liked the stock camera better. It had much better peripheral visibility. Surprising i know. Sucks to think all they had to do is wire it up as a 6 volt. :(

5. Mar 18, 2011 at 5:25 AM
    Westdog976

Westdog976 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Frankie
    Las Vegas
    Vehicle:
    4x4 SR5 TRD Sport S/B D/C Magnetic Gray
    MX black upper and lower girlles, debadged, limo tints, TRD CAI, flowmaster dual side exit cat-back, DRL mod, 33x12.5 Toyo Open Country M/T, 18x9 XD Monsters, 6" stage II pro comp lift, smoked LED tails and third brake light, mag gray eyelids, 5901 viper remote start alarm, one touch window modules, 10,000k bixenon hid headlights, 3,000k hid fogs, 4x4 switch LED mod, RBP nerf bars, weathertech floor liners, muth signal mirrors, avid light bar, kenwood excelon dnx9140 nav
  6. Mar 18, 2011 at 5:44 AM
    AZBACKCOUNTRY

AZBACKCOUNTRY Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    AZ-between the hammer and the anvil
    Vehicle:
    11' AC TRD OFF-ROAD 4x4
    Pelfreybilt front aluminum bumper,AVID off road weld on sliders, RCI Offroad IFS & transmission Skid (steel), RCI LCA skids (aluminum),upper grillcraft, relentless hi clearance bumper,OEM color matched front grill color, ARE MX camper shell, wet Okole realtree seat covers,pelfreybuilt hi lift mounts,ICON 2.5 Coil-overs extended,, ICON tubular UCA's. Allpro expo leafs, SS extended brake lines.Bilstein 110 extended rear shocks.prinsu Cabrac.dwreck pod mounts OKLED 18w cubes.Baja Designs Squadron-R Sport, LED Wide Cornering, Ambers fog/driving 20" IGGY LED Single Row bar.tepui awning,rotopax 2 gallon, TREDs and mount , 100 watt renogy solar panel.victron 20 amp Bluetooth charge controller,Pro comp wheels - cooper st maxx 285/75/16 tires. Skygear bussman fuse relay smart box. ARB 12v plug hard wired for ARB fridge. Pelfreybilt gas tank skid. Smittybilt X2O 10K winch
    Subbed for later

7. Apr 3, 2011 at 12:13 PM
    MartyMcfly

MartyMcfly Time Traveler

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Pahrump Nevada
    Vehicle:
    15' 4runner Limited 4wd
    see Build page for details.
    Ok guys. Hoping for some help here. I cannot get this thing to work.

Anyone have this setup? factory backup camera but no backup review mirror?

I have a base 09 reg cab. No backup mirror.
    However, from the factory, the truck does have the backup camera installed, wiring harness, and backup camera connector under the fuse box. And I've confirmed that it's all hooked up.

I have the AVIC-Z110bt installed (with z120 software upgrade).

Reverse signal wire hooked up and working, so the head unit does recognize reverse and displays the message for reverse images blah blah.

However, the camera image does not display on the head unit.

A coax video cable is connected to the head unit and the other end split and soldered onto the red and black wires as instructed. (negative is "shielding" black and positive is "center wire" red). All factory backup camera wires are still connected as instructed.

wtf?

Am I missing something? Is it because my truck doesn't have the towing package? Am I missing a fuse or relay or something?

Can someone with the backup camera mirror please post an image of their fuse box and fuse & relays? I'm thinking that maybe the backup camera is hooked up to the Towing Relay missing from my truck but I don't know what relay it's supposed to use. I moved one of the blue relays to the empty towing relay port and tried it. no dice. I grabbed a spare fuse and plugged it into every empty port under the hood and under the dash. no dice.

Anyone have this setup? factory backup camera but no backup review mirror?

Thanks.

8. Apr 3, 2011 at 10:33 PM
    Jerry Bear

Member:
    First Name:
    Jerry
    Mesquite, Texas
    Vehicle:
    2010 Access Cab
    tint, topper, receiver hitch, trailer wiring, topper lighting, cruise control, intermittent wipers, backup camera, auto-dim mirror
    I believe that you need a 6 VDC supply to the camera:
    http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd-gen-tacomas/149448-noob-help-backup-camera.html

9. Apr 5, 2011 at 10:58 AM
    MartyMcfly

MartyMcfly Time Traveler

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Pahrump Nevada
    Vehicle:
    15' 4runner Limited 4wd
  10. Apr 5, 2011 at 2:17 PM
    Jerry Bear

Member:
    First Name:
    Jerry
    Mesquite, Texas
    Vehicle:
    2010 Access Cab
    The rearview mirror with display has a 12 VDC to 6 VDC converter. I don't know of anywhere else in the truck to get 6 VDC.

11. Apr 5, 2011 at 3:21 PM
    MartyMcfly

MartyMcfly Time Traveler

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Pahrump Nevada
    Vehicle:
    15' 4runner Limited 4wd
    That would explain it. Sheeeit.

Thanks

12. Apr 17, 2011 at 4:25 PM
    CCFBERG

CCFBERG The Shocker and Me Tall Dark TACO

Member:
    First Name:
    Shawn
    LRAFB Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD 4x4 SR5 DBL cab
    Kenwood 516 DD head unit, Kenwood 12" sub, Kenwood 1800W amp, Brighter reverse light mod, 2nd Air filter ripped out, Tailgate anti-theft. Fog light anytime. Rearview mirror display in HU mod. JBA shorty headers & Catback. K&N Filter. Smittybilt Nerf Steps. Smittybilt M1 Grille. Pro Comp stage II, 6" Lift. 12V Bed PWR. LED interior lighting
    Did this Mod today. Works Great!!! When I was testing out everything before making any perm connections, I was having the "black scrolling line" changed out the AV cable to a high end AV cable and its crystal clear now. Thanks to the OP and everyone else that posted up on this Mod. Its been irritating me that my HU has the capability to display the BU cam but hasnt been connected up until today.

bucam_a6617afc851687059427f08d769ad16a4e2cd06e.jpg

13. Jun 1, 2011 at 3:09 PM
    testedone

testedone Speak English..it's America

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    U.S.A.
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma TRD Sport
    Weathertec Mats, Pioneer AVIC-X930BT, Pioneer GEX-P920XM (SAT), Pioneer Premier TS-D602P 6.2, Blaupunkt THb 200A Sub, Trimmed Mud Flaps, BF Goodrich AT/KO 285/70/17 ... Toytec Ultimate Lift, Tuffy Bed Box, A.R.E. Cover, Pop-n-Lock, TRD Exhaust
    Thanks fro the tips guy, did this install in 25 minutes. used pins to insert into the factory harness as shown in the instructions... very cool mod...

14. Jul 20, 2011 at 10:41 PM
    cgrove04

cgrove04 2010 tacoma v6 fox's

Member:
    First Name:
    Cory
    Richmond
    Vehicle:
    '10 trd sport v6 tacoma, fox's, ap bump, 33's
    hey how do I get rid of the scrolling black lines yall, I used a high end rca cable too, and im still getting those freakin lines any ideas.

15. Jul 21, 2011 at 6:02 AM
    mrmumbels

mrmumbels Well-Known Member

Member:
    Land O Lakes, fl
    Vehicle:
    09 prerunner
    none
    I used a sheilded cable and had the same issue. Turns out it was just how I connected it under the dash. Try reconnecting it a few times and you'll get it. If you wiggle the wires down there you'll probably see it temporarily get better.

16. Aug 18, 2011 at 11:11 PM
    SxDx

SxDx Well-Known Member

Member:
    TX
    Ok I have a few questions. I did this today and for the most part i did it correct (i think). I have a Pioneer 4300dvd headunit.
    This is where I am stumped....
    1. I connected the RCA wire to "Video In" on the headunit and in order for it to show my reverse cam I need to toggle the unit to A/V. Do I have the RCA in the wrong plug on the headunit?
    2. In order for the unit to recognize reverse I know i need to tap into the reverse signal, is this done by running a separate wire altogether? If so, once i connect the pin into the reverse signal under the coin box where do I run it to on the HU?

Here's a picture of the back of my headunit if it helps any.

[​IMG]

17. Aug 19, 2011 at 5:38 AM
    Yota Toy

Yota Toy Taco Sauce

Member:
    FX retros, Blazer fog-light retro, JVC KW-NT30HD head unit, Pioneer 6X9's in front doors, Pioneer 6.5's in rear doors, two Pioneer 12" subs in sealed boxes, Sony X-Plod amp, Hidden Hitch trailer hitch, EGR window visors, two PIAA low-tone horns, Westin light bar with two 100-watt KC low profile driving lights.

There should be a separate input that says "Camera".
    You do have to run a separate wire for the reverse signal, and there should be a input on your head unit just for this.

I found the owners manual for that unit, attached is a screenshot of the camera connection and reverse wire connection.

4300.jpg

I used this thread as a guide when I installed my new head unit and it worked perfectly the first time.

18. Aug 19, 2011 at 10:41 AM
    SxDx

SxDx Well-Known Member

Member:
    TX
    Thanks a lot yota, I saw the rc in but never snapped that it was for the camera. As for the reverse signal input on the headunit, is it within the harness that is plugged in? Do I need to run a fuse resistor between the pin and wire for the input? Thanks again, this guide really helps. Much appreciated.

19. Aug 19, 2011 at 11:00 AM
    Yota Toy

Yota Toy Taco Sauce

Member:
    FX retros, Blazer fog-light retro, JVC KW-NT30HD head unit, Pioneer 6X9's in front doors, Pioneer 6.5's in rear doors, two Pioneer 12" subs in sealed boxes, Sony X-Plod amp, Hidden Hitch trailer hitch, EGR window visors, two PIAA low-tone horns, Westin light bar with two 100-watt KC low profile driving lights.
    It appears that the reverse wire should be a violet/white wire on your new 4300DVD harness that needs to be connected to the wire specified in this picture. I really don't know what a "fuse resistor" is so I can't comment. If you are asking if you should put an in-line fuse in this reverse wire circuit, I didn't but you should use your own judgment. I used this wire for my JVC KWNT30HD and it worked great on the first try.

[​IMG]

20. Nov 30, 2011 at 3:37 PM
    Whitster

Whitster Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Whit
    Golden, CO
    Vehicle:
    '09 AC w/SR5 & TRD, 6' bed

Thanks for all your efforts, mine finally worked fine with your info.
    On mine the connector for the 'reverse signal' was on the smaller red wire in the connector. (There were two red wires in my 2009)

I cut up a cable that had the bogus 'gold' connectors, but it does have more shielding than the audio cables, and used that. Worked fine no hash, lines or static.

Thanks again,

Whit

Products Discussed in

To Top