Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Audio & Video

Notices

OEM Camera Connection below Dash

Old 07-22-2012, 09:50 AM   #81
mizuh is on a distinguished road
mizuh's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanbp64 View Post
Gonna be doing this soon with a Pioneer Avh-P2400BT. In the first post, step 5 says to connect both the V+ and V- of shielded cable to the RED pin in factory harness at fuse box. Is this correct or should V- of shielded cable go to Black pin of factory harness? Thanks for the help. This forum is great!

Stan
No, that is a typo. You will see the harness has 2 black wires. You want to connect the shield to the black wire closest to the red. it should read:

1. Connect the center of the shielded cable (V+) into the pin hole with the RED wire on the OEM connector.
  2. Connect the shield or jacket of the shielded cable (V-) into the pin hole with the BLACK wire on the OEM connector.
Also, (at least on mine) that black wire LOOKED like a stranded shield connecting into the harness. It was different from the other three, with the strands exposed and visible.

I've uploaded a photo to imgur that shows my harness, having used D-sub pins with heat shrink. I just shoved them in and used a bit of electrical tape to hold them in place. No problems yet...

http://i.imgur.com/I9ELV.jpg

The white heat shrink wire is my V+ (connected to red) and the blue heat shrink is the shield connected to the black.
Old 07-22-2012, 01:07 PM   #82
stanbp64 is on a distinguished road
stanbp64's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks, I was pretty sure it was a typo but wanted to be positive. Thanks for the help.

Stan
Old 07-28-2012, 01:54 PM   #83
One more question. I cut the end off a video cable and there is the center wire surrounded by white rubber which is then surrounded by copper mesh shield. Is this copper mesh shielding what needs to go to V- (Black wire) or should there be 2 wires in the cable? Stupid question I know.

Stan
Old 07-29-2012, 10:23 AM   #85
Ok, Thanks Guys!
Old 12-04-2012, 12:56 PM   #86
Impressive Member
RevAdam is one of the sharper tools in the shedRevAdam is one of the sharper tools in the shedRevAdam is one of the sharper tools in the shedRevAdam is one of the sharper tools in the shedRevAdam is one of the sharper tools in the shedRevAdam is one of the sharper tools in the shedRevAdam is one of the sharper tools in the shedRevAdam is one of the sharper tools in the shedRevAdam is one of the sharper tools in the shedRevAdam is one of the sharper tools in the shedRevAdam is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Adam
RevAdam's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks to the guys who traced down the wiring. I tapped into mine this morning, works great! I soldered my wiring in, and I have no problems at all.
Old 01-08-2013, 02:43 PM   #87
Toyotaco1670 is on a distinguished road
Toyotaco1670's Tacoma Gallery
I did this and the camera comes on when I put it in reverse BUT the camera doesn't go off when I put it in drive or park. When I switch the camera off it keeps coming back on like every 10 or 15 seconds. Can anyone help me get this straightened out please??
Old 01-09-2013, 05:17 PM   #88
Check the settings on your head unit. Mine will do that unless i have the cam. setting on "battery". Not sure what your head unit is or what settings are available but give it a look-see.

Stan
Old 01-12-2013, 09:19 AM   #89
Toyotaco1670 is on a distinguished road
Toyotaco1670's Tacoma Gallery
I installed a Pioneer AVH-P2400BT HU. Did the parking brake bypass and that works fine. The camera will come on when I put it in reverse but it doesn't go off when go out of reverse. And then it pops on every 10 or 15 seconds no matter what I do. Unless I actually turn the camera off. But If I turn it off then it doesn't come on when I go into reverse.

I'm not exactly sure where to hook the reverse sensor wire.

I tried changing the setting. Tried off, tried ground and tried battery, it does the same thing on all the settings. I just need it to come on in reverse and go off when you take it out of reverse. But it keeps coming on every 10 to15 seconds. No matter what I do.
Old 04-25-2013, 05:39 AM   #90
fj40taz is on a distinguished road

Name: Carl
fj40taz's Tacoma Gallery
sub'd
Old 04-28-2013, 09:29 AM   #91
Faketannydeluxe
WhiteTacoma09 is a jewel in the roughWhiteTacoma09 is a jewel in the roughWhiteTacoma09 is a jewel in the rough
Name: Curt
WhiteTacoma09's Tacoma Gallery
i dont have the backup mirror, just factory wiring and rear camera. i quickly sketched this up and will see ig it works.
Old 05-07-2013, 07:15 PM   #92
CrazyDiamond is on a distinguished road

CrazyDiamond's Tacoma Gallery
For future reference, here is a good place to tap into for a reverse trigger wire. I used this for my Pioneer's backup camera trigger. I believe this wire was previously mentioned, but I wanted to add a picture. I believe this is the backup light wire.

This is from a 2011 double cab without the JBL system. Remove the driver's side sill plate and kick panel (you have to remove the foot rest as well). The trigger wire is the heavy red wire that the test light probe is pointing to. I tapped into this wire for the trigger, and used the video feed discussed earlier in this thread. It works perfectly. When you probe this wire with a test light, it lights up when you put the truck into reverse, and then turns off when you shift out of reverse.

Old 06-09-2013, 03:28 AM   #93
Yaozer is one of the sharper tools in the shedYaozer is one of the sharper tools in the shedYaozer is one of the sharper tools in the shedYaozer is one of the sharper tools in the shedYaozer is one of the sharper tools in the shedYaozer is one of the sharper tools in the shedYaozer is one of the sharper tools in the shedYaozer is one of the sharper tools in the shedYaozer is one of the sharper tools in the shedYaozer is one of the sharper tools in the shedYaozer is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Yaozer's Tacoma Gallery
Did this yesterday and it worked like a charm. I used a video cable and the sub pin connectors. It was a little hard getting the pins to stay in the terminal, but a little electrical tape and a zip tie persuaded it. I may end up soldering it later.

Thanks to the OP and the people who posted the info on the reverse trigger wire. I ended up soldering the rev wire from the stereo to the wire connected to the harness near the fuse box in the first photo.
Old 06-10-2013, 07:51 AM   #94
War Eagle!!
aubi1414 is one of the sharper tools in the shedaubi1414 is one of the sharper tools in the shedaubi1414 is one of the sharper tools in the shedaubi1414 is one of the sharper tools in the shedaubi1414 is one of the sharper tools in the shedaubi1414 is one of the sharper tools in the shedaubi1414 is one of the sharper tools in the shedaubi1414 is one of the sharper tools in the shedaubi1414 is one of the sharper tools in the shedaubi1414 is one of the sharper tools in the shedaubi1414 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Justin
aubi1414's Tacoma Gallery
This is what I connected the reverse too in my 2010.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmartshopper View Post
Messing around with the volt meter I think I found it! Its the Red Wire in the connector above the camera connector.
Sorry for the hacked picture, no time have to get back to work

Old 06-10-2013, 10:40 AM   #95
Yaozer is one of the sharper tools in the shedYaozer is one of the sharper tools in the shedYaozer is one of the sharper tools in the shedYaozer is one of the sharper tools in the shedYaozer is one of the sharper tools in the shedYaozer is one of the sharper tools in the shedYaozer is one of the sharper tools in the shedYaozer is one of the sharper tools in the shedYaozer is one of the sharper tools in the shedYaozer is one of the sharper tools in the shedYaozer is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Yaozer's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by aubi1414 View Post
This is what I connected the reverse too in my 2010.
Ditto here.
Old 07-10-2013, 09:51 AM   #96
statchcook is on a distinguished road
Name: Mike
statchcook's Tacoma Gallery
No Power to Camera

I installed a Pioneer HU and a Toyota camera (6 Volt) into the tailgate handle of my truck (2011). I connected the video wires as shown in this thread but I was not getting any images on the screen. After checking the tailgate harness, I noticed that when the truck is in reverse there is no power going to the camera. I do not have the rear view mirror with backup display, so connector I8 is not plugged into anything. Does the mirror with rear display send the power source back to the camera? If so, on the I8 connector, is there a way to jump the reverse signal from Pin #3 (Reverse Signal) over to Pin #14 (Camera Power) to supply the power to the camera? I think I read somewhere that the reverse signal sends out 6 volts???
Old 07-11-2013, 07:04 AM   #97
mikesmith is on a distinguished road

Name: Mike
mikesmith's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by statchcook View Post
I installed a Pioneer HU and a Toyota camera (6 Volt) into the tailgate handle of my truck (2011). I connected the video wires as shown in this thread but I was not getting any images on the screen. After checking the tailgate harness, I noticed that when the truck is in reverse there is no power going to the camera. I do not have the rear view mirror with backup display, so connector I8 is not plugged into anything. Does the mirror with rear display send the power source back to the camera? If so, on the I8 connector, is there a way to jump the reverse signal from Pin #3 (Reverse Signal) over to Pin #14 (Camera Power) to supply the power to the camera? I think I read somewhere that the reverse signal sends out 6 volts???
I have a stock Toyota cam as well, I just used the 12V methods above and mine has been working for quite a while with no issues. If it causes damage in the long term I plan to order one of the pioneer cams that can be retrofit in the tailgate handle. Hope this helps
Old 07-23-2013, 05:11 PM   #98
Choot It!
kcrob1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkcrob1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkcrob1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkcrob1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkcrob1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkcrob1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkcrob1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkcrob1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkcrob1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkcrob1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkcrob1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Casey
kcrob1's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyDiamond View Post
For future reference, here is a good place to tap into for a reverse trigger wire. I used this for my Pioneer's backup camera trigger. I believe this wire was previously mentioned, but I wanted to add a picture. I believe this is the backup light wire.

This is from a 2011 double cab without the JBL system. Remove the driver's side sill plate and kick panel (you have to remove the foot rest as well). The trigger wire is the heavy red wire that the test light probe is pointing to. I tapped into this wire for the trigger, and used the video feed discussed earlier in this thread. It works perfectly. When you probe this wire with a test light, it lights up when you put the truck into reverse, and then turns off when you shift out of reverse.

Just did mine today (2011) The plug on bottom was wired the same as original post. The plug on top had a red and yellow but neither would work. Followed this way ^^^ and worked like a champ!
Old 08-14-2013, 11:05 AM   #99
JCruiser is one of the sharper tools in the shedJCruiser is one of the sharper tools in the shedJCruiser is one of the sharper tools in the shedJCruiser is one of the sharper tools in the shedJCruiser is one of the sharper tools in the shedJCruiser is one of the sharper tools in the shedJCruiser is one of the sharper tools in the shedJCruiser is one of the sharper tools in the shedJCruiser is one of the sharper tools in the shedJCruiser is one of the sharper tools in the shedJCruiser is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Over your paygrade
Name: Master Chief (E-9) USN (Ret)
JCruiser's Tacoma Gallery
I am buying a Clarion CC510 Backup cam and contacted Crutchfield for the proper wiring for my Pioneer AVH 2400BT. I was told to wire the purple w/ white stripe wire on the wiring harness to the red w/ white stripe wire behind the kick panel on the drivers side. This is the power wire that goes to the backup lights so what whenever the backup lights come on, the Pioneer AVH 2400BT will automatically go into camera mode. I was also told that since the video wire is attached, and there is a power wire & ground wire to the camera, that by selecting Home/Backup Camera from the head unit display that this would open the direct circuit to the camera. This would be convenient if you were driving and wanted to look back at a boat trailer or utility trailer. By selecting the Backup Camera button again, it would turn the camera "off". This can be confirmed by the subdued text under the Camera button as "off" or "on". On these head units, the "touch" sensitivity can also be adjusted. One of the reasons I selected the Clarion CC510 is because it provides grid lines going in both directions and you get the same image as if you were using your mirrors.

Here is the illustration received from Crutchfield: (note that this is for a 2005-2011 Tacoma access cab)
Old 08-14-2013, 11:53 AM   #100
DMS is a splendid one to beholdDMS is a splendid one to beholdDMS is a splendid one to beholdDMS is a splendid one to beholdDMS is a splendid one to beholdDMS is a splendid one to beholdDMS is a splendid one to behold
DMS's Tacoma Gallery
Just wanted to say thanks to the OP and everybody else who contributed to this thread. Thanks to you guys, I was able to do this when I installed my new head unit. It took me a couple of tries to get it working. For some reason, the first video cable I made, the camera image was messed up...no matter how much I fiddled with it. So...I started over and made another cable...and that one worked on the first try! There doesn't seem to be any degradation in the camera image on the mirror, and the image on the head unit is pretty clear...no horizontal black lines or anything! Thanks everybody!!!