Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Audio & Video

Notices

OEM Camera Connection below Dash

Old 07-29-2014, 02:41 PM   #121
XwXRYANXwX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXwXRYANXwX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXwXRYANXwX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXwXRYANXwX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXwXRYANXwX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXwXRYANXwX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXwXRYANXwX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXwXRYANXwX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXwXRYANXwX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXwXRYANXwX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXwXRYANXwX is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: IT
XwXRYANXwX's Tacoma Gallery
Has anyone ever tried adding an additional camera in the front for parking? You could have the HU showing the back and the LCD mirror showing the front camera.... I could park anywhere...hmmm
Old 07-30-2014, 04:31 PM   #122
double dee is one of the sharper tools in the sheddouble dee is one of the sharper tools in the sheddouble dee is one of the sharper tools in the sheddouble dee is one of the sharper tools in the sheddouble dee is one of the sharper tools in the sheddouble dee is one of the sharper tools in the sheddouble dee is one of the sharper tools in the sheddouble dee is one of the sharper tools in the sheddouble dee is one of the sharper tools in the sheddouble dee is one of the sharper tools in the sheddouble dee is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force:
Name: Derrick
double dee's Tacoma Gallery
has anyone tried this with a 2014?
Old 08-18-2014, 11:50 PM   #123
Woah! How did that get here?
EFalco50 will become famous soon enoughEFalco50 will become famous soon enough
Name: Ethan
EFalco50's Tacoma Gallery
My truck has the spot for a camera on the tailgate but no camera, I'm putting a new head unit on and I was wondering if anyone has tried to put a aftermarket camera in the stock location?
Old 08-26-2014, 09:22 AM   #124
ajp is on a distinguished road
ajp's Tacoma Gallery
2013 UPDATE

Hey All,

Went through this on my 2013 the other day to tap the rearview cam signal to an aftermarket head unit. Pretty simple but I thought that I would point a few things out, that at least for the 2013 model year, differ from the information I have seen previously on this thread.

First of all, looking in the dash as shown on the first page of this thread it points that the camera signal is RED for positive and Black Shielded for negative... however (see image below), at least for 2013 that is not correct and can cause poor image quality. Actual camera signal is Red and White as shown in the picture based on the 2013 wiring diagram.

The final update for 2013 is that the reverse signal is in connector IN1, which has many more cables in it than shown in previous threads. To update if your truck is a '13, then the reverse signal is the Red wire from Pin 11 of IN1 as shown in the picture.

What I did is tap into C+ and C- (red and white of IO1) and run those into the aftermarket stereo (solder and heat shrink connections into a shielded RCA cable) AND tap into Reverse signal (red wire of pin 11 on IN1). I also added two switches into the tapped Reverse signal to turn it on/off, which in turn allows me to control which monitor (rearview mirror or head unit) to display the rearview camera feed... can select one, the other, both or none via these switches). And using the White and Red cables with solid connections and proper cables for camera signal, I have no noticeable loss of video quality whatsoever.

Just thought I'd throw the update out for those interested.
Attached Thumbnails
OEM Camera Connection below Dash-tacoma-shit.jpg  
Old 09-04-2014, 06:31 PM   #125
Hawaiianguy is on a distinguished road
Hawaiianguy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajp View Post
Hey All,

Went through this on my 2013 the other day to tap the rearview cam signal to an aftermarket head unit. Pretty simple but I thought that I would point a few things out, that at least for the 2013 model year, differ from the information I have seen previously on this thread.

First of all, looking in the dash as shown on the first page of this thread it points that the camera signal is RED for positive and Black Shielded for negative... however (see image below), at least for 2013 that is not correct and can cause poor image quality. Actual camera signal is Red and White as shown in the picture based on the 2013 wiring diagram.

The final update for 2013 is that the reverse signal is in connector IN1, which has many more cables in it than shown in previous threads. To update if your truck is a '13, then the reverse signal is the Red wire from Pin 11 of IN1 as shown in the picture.

What I did is tap into C+ and C- (red and white of IO1) and run those into the aftermarket stereo (solder and heat shrink connections into a shielded RCA cable) AND tap into Reverse signal (red wire of pin 11 on IN1). I also added two switches into the tapped Reverse signal to turn it on/off, which in turn allows me to control which monitor (rearview mirror or head unit) to display the rearview camera feed... can select one, the other, both or none via these switches). And using the White and Red cables with solid connections and proper cables for camera signal, I have no noticeable loss of video quality whatsoever.

Is it possible to get a better quality picture? I am trying to understand what you are saying but the thumbnail picture is not clear.
Old 09-05-2014, 09:05 AM   #126
colbyrainey is a jewel in the roughcolbyrainey is a jewel in the roughcolbyrainey is a jewel in the rough

Name: Colby
colbyrainey's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajp View Post
Hey All,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaiianguy View Post
Is it possible to get a better quality picture? I am trying to understand what you are saying but the thumbnail picture is not clear.
Using red and white (rather than red and black) works on my 2011 TRD Sport DCSB. However, I do not notice any significant increase in video quality. I switched it today since it was easy to take out the change tray and switch the pins. I guess I'll leave it to see if it turns out to be better, but for now, i don't think it matters.
Old 09-23-2014, 06:15 PM   #127
adameade85 is on a distinguished road
adameade85's Tacoma Gallery
I have a jvc kw-v40bt. I am trying to wire the camera(rostra) so it will work. Please let me know if you can help.
Old 09-24-2014, 06:35 AM   #128
Quote:
Originally Posted by colbyrainey View Post
sub'd! Can't wait to do this mod when my HU comes in.
Colby, i have a 2011 access with an after market head unit. did this work for you?
Old 09-25-2014, 01:40 PM   #129
I have used a test light on the wiring under the dash and I am getting nothing through the 4 wires (black,white,red,black) for the backup monitor. I pulled the factory wiring out of the headliner and still have nothing. Is there a fuse I am missing that may be blown? This is getting ridiculous.
Old 10-01-2014, 11:04 PM   #130
colbyrainey is a jewel in the roughcolbyrainey is a jewel in the roughcolbyrainey is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by adameade85 View Post
Colby, i have a 2011 access with an after market head unit. did this work for you?
Yup! Like a charm!
Old 10-05-2014, 11:31 AM   #131
Pat C is on a distinguished road
Name: Patrick
Pat C's Tacoma Gallery
rca cable

In the pic of the rca cable i see two ends with clips my cable only has one wire are splicing another wire at the end.?
Old 10-06-2014, 03:23 PM   #132
Pat C's Tacoma Gallery
rca cable

Are you splicing in another piece of wire to the end of the rca cable? Because my wire only has one lead.
Old 10-06-2014, 08:22 PM   #133

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat C View Post
In the pic of the rca cable i see two ends with clips my cable only has one wire are splicing another wire at the end.?
There is a shield around the outside of the insulated wire that serves as V-.
Old 10-07-2014, 03:04 PM   #134
Pat C's Tacoma Gallery
Rca cable

Is this a single end cable your using? Can I use a rca cable that has a red and black rca connectors on it and just cut off one?
Old 10-13-2014, 11:22 PM   #135

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat C View Post
Is this a single end cable your using? Can I use a rca cable that has a red and black rca connectors on it and just cut off one?
Yes, single cable. Yes you can use the paired wire, just pull them apart--you don't need more than one.
Old 11-01-2014, 08:30 AM   #136
DES2009 is on a distinguished road
DES2009's Tacoma Gallery
I have a 2009 Access Cab (4-cyl, stick, PreRunner) that I bought new in June 2009. I had the factory radio replaced under warranty due to it randomly turning itself off. A few months ago the replacement radio started doing the same thing.

I've been wanting to have bluetooth in the truck for a long time, and just two weeks ago I learned that most 2009's have the tailgate camera installed from the factory even when no lcd rearview mirror is installed. So I bought a JVC KW-V30BT and installed it yesterday. But the backup camera is not working . . .

How can I confirm that the camera is actually present in my truck? To the right of the tailgate latch I see a glass lense, and there is a wiring harness going in at the bottom edge of the tailgate. Can I be sure there is a camera behind that lense without taking apart the tailgate?

The JVC switches to rearview mode (because I hooked up all wires based on this wonderful thread) but then it displays a "No Signal" indication on the screen. I suspect maybe there is no power (6vdc?) to the camera?

Any help will be greatly appreciated..
Old 11-04-2014, 05:22 PM   #137
DES2009's Tacoma Gallery
Success!

Well I guess I answered my own question . . .

I bought the parts to build the 12vdc to 6vdc converter and hooked it up to feed the required 6vdc to the camera. Put the truck in reverse and everything works fine! Now I just need to wait for the weekend so I can neaten up all the wiring in the daylight. This daylight-wasting-time is for the birds . . .
Old 11-09-2014, 03:56 PM   #138
DES2009's Tacoma Gallery
So this weekend I neatened up the installation and permanently mounted the USB port and microphone in the dash. And the backup cam is working fine . . .

OEM Camera Connection below Dash-jvc_kw-v30bt.jpg

OEM Camera Connection below Dash-usb-port.jpg
PAC-USBCBL from Amazon.com installed into blank filler plug under A/C controls

OEM Camera Connection below Dash-microphone.jpg
Microphone supplied with JVC H/U installed in blank filler plug to left of steering wheel.

OEM Camera Connection below Dash-console.jpg

This stereo has an MHL connector and I bought the JVC cable to use it, but so far I haven't got it to work with my Galaxy S5. Also there's no way to mount the business end of the cable at the dash, so for now it's just coiled underneath. If I get it to actually work then I'll come up with a better scheme . . .
Old 11-11-2014, 04:44 PM   #139
DES2009's Tacoma Gallery
I tried unsuccessfully to add these Backup Cam images to my post above. Anyway, here they are . . .

OEM Camera Connection below Dash-20141111_072041.jpg

OEM Camera Connection below Dash-20141111_072049.jpg
Old 12-14-2014, 07:01 PM   #140
mfdchief will become famous soon enough

Name: Louis
mfdchief's Tacoma Gallery
Can I do this with my stock toyota stereo or only aftermarket?