1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Someone cut the steering wheel control harness, I'd like it back

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by metalpeddler88, Jan 5, 2014.

1. Jan 5, 2014 at 5:37 PM
    metalpeddler88

metalpeddler88 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Barrow County, GA
    Vehicle:
    07 Black X-Runner
    I'll first start off my saying that I am new to the forum, and new to Tacomas, so this is a new world for me. Please don't throw me under the bus quite yet, I am willing to learn. :)

I just got my truck a few days ago, and couldn't get the steering wheel controls to work. I took out the radio, only to find out that someone was nice enough to cut the old harness off, nowhere to be found. For now, I am sticking with the factory radio, and it would be nice to get the controls on the steering wheel to work. I can't stand the idea of buttons that don't serve a purpose.

I have searched the forum, and the internet, and either there are no solutions, or I am not searching for the right thing. I will need one or two things: I need to know which wires do what, and for which pins; and I will need a new harness connector.
    I will probably call around to a few junkyards, but I doubt they are willing to cut off the single connector I need, and Pull-A-Part doesn't have Tacomas. If someone here has the connector that I need, I'd be glad to take it off your hands. ;) Any help is appreciated!

Ill post pictures when I figure out how.

Edit: Forgot the important information
    2007 Tacoma X-Runner

Last edited: Jan 5, 2014
  2. Jan 5, 2014 at 6:12 PM
    metalpeddler88

Member:
    Barrow County, GA
    Vehicle:
    07 Black X-Runner
    There's a junkyard near by, so I'll stop on by sometime soon. I just prefer the Pull-A-Part because there can be no miscommunication, you do it yourself.

And it really is a strange problem to have. Last car I had that someone cut the harness off of was an 86 300ZX, and luckily I could find a diagram for it. I don't know why people like to cut harnesses apart, I guess a $10 adapter is too much now.

Let's see if I can post a picture, in case other people have this issue too, or I don't have luck locally.

n6yw6q_16dffcf016366ebb415fd91e7b0726d07551a34b.jpg

qyhla9_5153c9618054739e3e2a057101cdce1888876110.jpg

3. Jan 7, 2014 at 1:16 PM
    metalpeddler88

Member:
    Barrow County, GA
    Vehicle:
    07 Black X-Runner
  4. Jan 7, 2014 at 1:28 PM
    FrankNasti

FrankNasti Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Frank
    Anywhere the Army tells my wife to go.
    Vehicle:
    Subaru Forester
    The toddler and baby seat mod.
    Maybe call the dealership and see if they can give you the part number or if you can buy the harness from them.

5. Jan 7, 2014 at 3:00 PM
    metalpeddler88

Member:
    Barrow County, GA
    Vehicle:
    07 Black X-Runner
    If I can't get this harness I ordered to work, then I'll go to the dealer (or forget I have steering wheel controls). I'd like to avoid the dealer if possible, only because of the cost. If a single key cost me over $100 to have them make, then I would hate to hear the cost of a harness, whether I can order it from them or online. I just think it would be sold as the entire harness, and it won't be cheap. :(

6. Jan 19, 2014 at 9:55 AM
    metalpeddler88

Member:
    Barrow County, GA
    Vehicle:
    07 Black X-Runner
    Success! Well, the harness I ordered just happened to work. Took some cutting and splicing, and now the steering wheel controls work again. Plus, whenever/if-ever I get a replacement head unit, I have the other half of the harness so I can splice that into the new radio. :cool:
    Hopefully nobody runs into this issue, but if they do, here is the solution.

r8gqvp_fa16e8712e3635eafa624014b98ff72e3731b65b.jpg
    Before I cut, I double checked the connector.

n5iveh_e3ff5645b4334af39905d67cce3a16464cdccfdd.jpg
    Through lots of internet searching, I found a picture good enough to figure out which wires I need. I can't even remember where I found the picture now.

1z2do2f_c6a134f5b4298426abdd6bc47a9e3feca53aab31.jpg
    After testing the connections to make sure they were the right ones, I made a more permanent connection. For me, I matched these wires:
    Factory ---------- Aftermarket Harness
    Yellow/Black ------ White/Green
    Purple/White ------ Gray/Pink
    White/Red -------- Black/Gray
    I couldn't tell you which ones do what, all I know is they worked.

2agq4c1_5cbca161ba7d3309ccb151b278e5267bd5a87c56.jpg
    I used a pair of pliers, and "cleaned" up the rest of the harness. Now it doesn't look so much like a hack job.

While I was back in the dash again, I also attached my Ipod adapter. I know the factory radio holds 6 CD's, but the Ipod holds more. Eventually, I will probably move onto an aftermarket radio, but I like the look of stock for now. I am just happy I now get to use the steering wheel controls. You have to enjoy the little things. :D

Products Discussed in

To Top