1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

JL Clean Sweep vs. new HU

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by DougDeBonet, Jan 9, 2014.

1. Jan 9, 2014 at 2:25 PM
    DougDeBonet

DougDeBonet [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Long Island, NY
    Vehicle:
    2014 TRD Off Road
    Hey guys, so I'm picking up my 2014 DCB TRD off road this coming Saturday.

I'm far from new to the car audio thing. However, My question is what are the benefits over a new HU over the JL Clean Sweep. I just ordered the S/O 8" amplified sub and clean sweep from crutchfield, and I'm wondering if I should have just gone the HU route since I know it.

The pioneer avh-x3500bhs is all I need and it's the same price as the clean sweep so I can just exchange it. Steering wheel control isn't a huge thing for me so idc about that. However I like the way that the Bluetooth calls work on the OEM system. Which is really my only gripe. I'll probably end up changing the door speakers after a few months as well.

So I'm wondering if I just exchange for the HU when it comes lol.

2. Jan 10, 2014 at 3:17 AM
    norjms

norjms Member

Member:
    I considered going with the cleansweep but, I don't like having to leave your volume alone. My understanding is that the cleansweep comes with a knob to control the volume so, you can't use the steering wheel controls or the radio to adjust the volume. I gutting everything from my tacoma and just installed a new head unit.

3. Jan 10, 2014 at 12:09 PM
    DougDeBonet

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Long Island, NY
    Vehicle:
    2014 TRD Off Road

Yeah I started seeing that after the fact, which really sucks. Plus you can get the kit to keep the steering wheel functions but that's not really a huge deal to me. Probably gonna go the HU route lol

4. Jan 10, 2014 at 4:26 PM
    Riverdog

Riverdog Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Collin
    Portland, OR
    Vehicle:
    '05 Double Cab PreRunner
    I'd go with a new head unit if I were you. If you really only want to keep the stock HU because of the bluetooth for phone calls, there are plenty of aftermarket HUs that can do the same thing right out of the box. Below is a video on how the Pioneer AVH-X3500bhs works when making and receiving calls. Personally, I'm not a huge fan of the menus it uses to make and receive calls but that's just me being picky. (I like the menus on my Sony much better because they're more simple looking)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Puu71ODtOKU

5. Jan 10, 2014 at 4:29 PM
    DougDeBonet

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Long Island, NY
    Vehicle:
    2014 TRD Off Road

Yeah I have a pioneer avh-p2400bt in my other car, I don't use the menu I make the call from the phone and put the phone down, but it's simple enough for my taste. I personally don't like sony for car audio at all, but that's me. I've always been a pioneer and alpine fan.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2014

Products Discussed in

To Top