Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Audio & Video

Notices

Mod day 4: Installing 2014 OEM radio into 2013 **Pictures**

Old 01-10-2014, 08:04 PM   #1
ramonortiz55 is a jewel in the roughramonortiz55 is a jewel in the roughramonortiz55 is a jewel in the roughramonortiz55 is a jewel in the rough

Name: Ramon
ramonortiz55's Tacoma Gallery
Talking Mod day 4: Installing 2014 OEM radio into 2013 **Pictures**

So I bought a 2014 OEM radio with navigation and entune. Did my research here, I want to thank yogster for figuring out if this radio will work on this year truck.

I have a 2013 Tacoma prerunner. I have a stock OEM radio, plain jane no navigation, no JBL, nor entune.

So here goes.

I purchased the unit from another member on this website.

This is what I got in the box:

I get the radio, face plate, mounting brackets, bolts and screws, and GPS antenna.

Picture one:

The first order of business, in order to remove the existing radio, I used a small flat screwdriver to pry off the ac controls. Using a napkin to make sure the tip doesn't scratch the surface.

Picture two:

Picture three:

There will be two plugs behind the ac controls. These are unplugged easily.

Picture four:

Then I removed the four bolts shown in picture five.

Picture five:

Starting at the bottom, I then carefully pull out the factory radio.

Picture six:

Unplug all connections.

Picture seven:

Once I removed the radio, I need to take out the clock and hazard light assembly. This is done by pulling it towards the back of the faceplate. Its being held down by four tabs.

Picture eight:

Picture nine:

I install the clock and hazard assembly onto the new faceplate that came with the 2014 radio.

Picture ten:

After this is done, its time to mount the brackets to the 2014 radio.
On each side of the radio and bracket, there will be an R or an L. Mount the brackets to match the letters on the radio. Picture eleven shows R side mounting up to the R bracket. Each side takes four machine bolts.

Picture eleven:

Both mounting brackets installed on both sides.

Picture twelve:

The 2014 radio came in with these plastic tab screws, theyre for holding the faceplate to the radio.

Picture thirteen:

Picture fourteen:

Next, I used there are two screws that are not similar to the machine screws that came with the package. These two are used to hold the radio to the face plate.

Picture fifteen:

Once all this is done, Im ready to connect everything to my new 2014 radio and drop it back in. I set the GPS antenna in a small hole under the dash behind the radio.

Picture sixteen:

Next I eat a gordita from my local taco stand. Remember, this is a very important step. If it isn't for this delicious gordita, this mod will NOT work.

Picture seventeen:

I put everything together, and voila! Thank you gordita!!!

Picture eighteen:

Left over machine bolts, who knows where these go?

Picture nineteen.

Picture twenty.

Picture twenty one.

Picture twenty two

Picture twenty three entune update:

Picture twenty three

***NOTE: I notice the airbag light on my instrument panel went off after completing this mod, I fixed this by disconnecting the battery for about 10 minutes. This reset the airbag light***
Old 01-10-2014, 08:11 PM   #2
osubeav818 is on a distinguished road
osubeav818's Tacoma Gallery
thanks for the write up man! you made life a whole lot easier
Old 01-10-2014, 08:20 PM   #3
Li0nel1234 is one of the sharper tools in the shedLi0nel1234 is one of the sharper tools in the shedLi0nel1234 is one of the sharper tools in the shedLi0nel1234 is one of the sharper tools in the shedLi0nel1234 is one of the sharper tools in the shedLi0nel1234 is one of the sharper tools in the shedLi0nel1234 is one of the sharper tools in the shedLi0nel1234 is one of the sharper tools in the shedLi0nel1234 is one of the sharper tools in the shedLi0nel1234 is one of the sharper tools in the shedLi0nel1234 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Captain
Name: Lionel
Li0nel1234's Tacoma Gallery
nice write up!
Old 01-10-2014, 08:34 PM   #4
PepsiManKolt is one of the sharper tools in the shedPepsiManKolt is one of the sharper tools in the shedPepsiManKolt is one of the sharper tools in the shedPepsiManKolt is one of the sharper tools in the shedPepsiManKolt is one of the sharper tools in the shedPepsiManKolt is one of the sharper tools in the shedPepsiManKolt is one of the sharper tools in the shedPepsiManKolt is one of the sharper tools in the shedPepsiManKolt is one of the sharper tools in the shedPepsiManKolt is one of the sharper tools in the shedPepsiManKolt is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Air Force: Aerial Porter
Name: Kolt
PepsiManKolt's Tacoma Gallery
So did you have any issues with different plugs between the 2013 and 2014? I have a 2008 that I converted to use a 2013 non-JBL but I have been considering converting to 2014 Entunes.
Old 01-10-2014, 08:35 PM   #5
ramonortiz55 is a jewel in the roughramonortiz55 is a jewel in the roughramonortiz55 is a jewel in the roughramonortiz55 is a jewel in the rough

Name: Ramon
ramonortiz55's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiManKolt View Post
So did you have any issues with different plugs between the 2013 and 2014? I have a 2008 that I converted to use a 2013 non-JBL but I have been considering converting to 2014 Entunes.

None at all. It was plug and play. The only new plug was for the GPS antenna.
Old 01-10-2014, 08:48 PM   #7
bullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shed

bullaculla's Tacoma Gallery
Nice! Hopefully you can find a way to get the entune to work.
Old 01-10-2014, 08:54 PM   #8
SoCal Tacomas
Jerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Roderick
Jerez's Tacoma Gallery
Getting the entune to work is easy

I was one of the original people to purchase the same radio...haven't had a problem in my 08
Old 01-10-2014, 09:11 PM   #10
bullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerez View Post
Getting the entune to work is easy

I was one of the original people to purchase the same radio...haven't had a problem in my 08

Did you use a different VIN number to register?
Old 01-10-2014, 09:17 PM   #11
SoCal Tacomas
Jerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Roderick
Jerez's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bullaculla View Post
Did you use a different VIN number to register?
Yea. All new vehicles have 5 register slots that can be used...
Old 01-10-2014, 09:25 PM   #12

Damn, I need to find a VIN number...
Old 01-10-2014, 09:46 PM   #13
Beard Farmer
timmytoast is one of the sharper tools in the shedtimmytoast is one of the sharper tools in the shedtimmytoast is one of the sharper tools in the shedtimmytoast is one of the sharper tools in the shedtimmytoast is one of the sharper tools in the shedtimmytoast is one of the sharper tools in the shedtimmytoast is one of the sharper tools in the shedtimmytoast is one of the sharper tools in the shedtimmytoast is one of the sharper tools in the shedtimmytoast is one of the sharper tools in the shedtimmytoast is one of the sharper tools in the shed

timmytoast's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerez View Post
Yea. All new vehicles have 5 register slots that can be used...
Can you explain this further please?
Old 01-10-2014, 10:55 PM   #14
jaymay82 is on a distinguished road
jaymay82's Tacoma Gallery
Great write up! Mine is in the mail and this just made life a whole lot easier. CANT WAIT!
Old 01-10-2014, 11:43 PM   #15
knine00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedknine00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedknine00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedknine00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedknine00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedknine00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedknine00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedknine00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedknine00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedknine00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedknine00 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Air Force: 4th Fighter Wing
knine00's Tacoma Gallery
Great writeup. Thanks.
Old 01-11-2014, 12:18 AM   #16
I have ten reputation points
RoosterCogburn is on a distinguished road

Name: Vick Vinegar
RoosterCogburn's Tacoma Gallery
Now I want to do this damnit lol

thanks for the write up
Old 01-11-2014, 03:26 AM   #17
scottw1 is a jewel in the roughscottw1 is a jewel in the roughscottw1 is a jewel in the roughscottw1 is a jewel in the rough
Army: 1BCT, 101 ABN DIV
Name: Scott
scottw1's Tacoma Gallery
Nice job.
Old 01-11-2014, 04:05 AM   #18
clutch
itdiestoday is on a distinguished road

itdiestoday's Tacoma Gallery
Excellent write up. Mine came in on Wednesday and today may be the only chance I get to put it in until next weekend. Lol.
Old 01-11-2014, 05:49 AM   #19
peto48 will become famous soon enough

peto48's Tacoma Gallery
Picture eighteen:

Left over machine bolts, who knows where these go?

Picture nineteen.

I would guess those 4 screws are for the xm unit that mounts under the main unit. I have that unit and had no leftover bolts. It took 4.
Old 01-11-2014, 06:00 AM   #20
clutch
itdiestoday is on a distinguished road

itdiestoday's Tacoma Gallery
Good stuff. Finished earlier and everything works great. No gordita though.