1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Backup camera install failed...

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by amcorley, Jan 11, 2014.

1. Jan 11, 2014 at 5:42 PM
    amcorley

amcorley [OP] Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Hill AFB
    Vehicle:
    '06 PreRunner SR5 Sport
    Running boards, BOSS audio system with backup cam, nav, dvd, and bluetooth
    I followed instructions for a camera install around the forums and ran into a hiccup. I've got a camera mounted in a pop & lock, run under the tailgate, grounded at the tail light (the harness near the spare), power and RCA run up to the cab. The red power I tagged into the red and white reverse wire (using one of those blue squares that taps into a running wire), then put an RCA extension using the inline connector into the rear of my HU. Thought that was it so I turned the car on and got nothing in reverse. I re-reviewed the HU manual (Boss BVN9370NV) and noticed there was an orange "backup camera trigger" wire that I just closed and didn't bother with because I thought it was all setup. Is there something I'm supposed to do with that wire? Does anyone have any idea what I could've done wrong?

Thanks for your help.

2. Jan 11, 2014 at 5:45 PM
    Large

Large Red

Member:
    I think you have 3 wires to connect, ground, power & signal. The signal you would tap in to the reverse lights, I'm not sure if you got enough power to illuminate the HU with the backup cam powered as well. Just throwing ideas at you, I would do some more research.

3. Jan 11, 2014 at 6:32 PM
    amcorley

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Hill AFB
    Vehicle:
    '06 PreRunner SR5 Sport
    So it seems like the orange "trigger" wire in the back of the HU is the signal cable, so i'll need to get some wire from that to the reverse wire as well. Then what do I do about the power from the backup camera? Thats currently on the reverse wire and I assume the signal and power shouldn't be on that one wire… is there a better spot for it?

4. Jan 12, 2014 at 9:29 AM
    amcorley

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Hill AFB
    Vehicle:
    '06 PreRunner SR5 Sport
    Got it! had to run the signal/trigger wire on the back of the HU to the reverse wire as well. camera fired up on the HU when i threw it in reverse so its all good. now Im just worried about what kind of power my taillights are getting with the camera and HU tapped into it. Cant see them when Im in the cab...

Products Discussed in

To Top