Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Audio & Video

Notices

Budget Sub and Amp Combo?

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-27-2014, 04:38 PM   #1
Just duct tape it
jspansel is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspansel is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspansel is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspansel is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspansel is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspansel is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspansel is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspansel is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspansel is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspansel is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspansel is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jay
jspansel's Tacoma Gallery
Budget Sub and Amp Combo?

Just got a stereo and some new speakers for the truck... planning ahead and seeing what I could get for a small sub and amp.

Wanting to stay under $150 if possible. Just want the one sub.

From my quick research, this is what is #1 on my list so far for price/quality.

Amp: Rockford Fosgate Prime R150X2
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_575R150....html?tp=35757

Sub: Rockford Fosgate R1S410
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_575R1S4...10.html?tp=111

Looks like they would match up perfect at 150W each... From the reviews, they seem like decent budget stuff.

Not looking for competition sound, just better than stock.

Crutchfield is a little expensive for them... Amazon, I can get both for $118 shipped.

Thoughts?

Just got this stuff and will be installing them this weekend as well... Seems it would fit well with the above combo?

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/aud...ade-cheap.html
Old 01-28-2014, 07:54 AM   #2
2013TacoLTD is just really nice2013TacoLTD is just really nice2013TacoLTD is just really nice2013TacoLTD is just really nice

Name: Dennis
2013TacoLTD's Tacoma Gallery
What kind of box? Will it be sealed or ported?

I run 2 10" subs with a decent amp and I can make the side mirrors shake. Here is my set up (pricy, I know):
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...ade-costs.html
Old 01-28-2014, 08:55 AM   #3
Just duct tape it
jspansel is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspansel is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspansel is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspansel is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspansel is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspansel is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspansel is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspansel is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspansel is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspansel is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspansel is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Going in an Extra Cab so not much room... Will need to build a box between the back rear seats. Looks like that sub wants a sealed box.
Old 01-28-2014, 09:00 AM   #4
2013TacoLTD is just really nice2013TacoLTD is just really nice2013TacoLTD is just really nice2013TacoLTD is just really nice

I think that will sound good. Make sure to run the proper guage wires for the amp power and ground for max power.

Let us know what you decide and how it sounds!
Old 01-28-2014, 09:07 AM   #5
Just duct tape it

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2013TacoLTD View Post
I think that will sound good. Make sure to run the proper guage wires for the amp power and ground for max power.

Let us know what you decide and how it sounds!
Thanks! Been doing more research and that seems to be a decent sub... Think I will go with that here soon.
Old 01-28-2014, 09:10 AM   #6
12thmanhawkfan has much to be proud of12thmanhawkfan has much to be proud of12thmanhawkfan has much to be proud of12thmanhawkfan has much to be proud of12thmanhawkfan has much to be proud of12thmanhawkfan has much to be proud of12thmanhawkfan has much to be proud of12thmanhawkfan has much to be proud of12thmanhawkfan has much to be proud of

Name: Robby
12thmanhawkfan's Tacoma Gallery
I went with this and it sounds great!

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-W63roCo...ce-B-8PTD.html

I found a scratch and dent one and only paid something like $130 for it..and I couldn't even find a scratch or anything on it. Fits under my drivers seat too.
Old 01-28-2014, 09:26 AM   #7
18 wheels
1993t100 is one of the sharper tools in the shed1993t100 is one of the sharper tools in the shed1993t100 is one of the sharper tools in the shed1993t100 is one of the sharper tools in the shed1993t100 is one of the sharper tools in the shed1993t100 is one of the sharper tools in the shed1993t100 is one of the sharper tools in the shed1993t100 is one of the sharper tools in the shed1993t100 is one of the sharper tools in the shed1993t100 is one of the sharper tools in the shed1993t100 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Samuel
1993t100's Tacoma Gallery
I have a DUAL ALB10 all in one system. I went with it because it was only $100 and it's got the amp built in, and I've got a single cab so that helped a lot. It sounds good for the money, but it's not the best. If you're looking to conserve on space it's a good choice to look into!

Old 01-28-2014, 03:35 PM   #8
Just duct tape it

10" Sub does not look like its going to work size wise AND keep both my rear seats...

Thinking about this setup now...

Rockford Fosgate Punch 200-Watt Stereo Amplifier P200-2
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...A35YOCF8BOV87A

and

JBL GTO804 Reduced Depth 8-Inch
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...A3QWSZ44N8P3XH

$188 to my door for both. Much better options for mounting the 8" sub since this thing only wants .30 cubic feet of air.

Kind of worried how a single 8" sub will sound though. Just want a good solid bass. Don't need my teeth to rattle out. But I want some damn bass!

Thoughts on these two? The Punch amp seems like its higher up version than the Prime, so that is good. Just worried about the sub size now.

Here is one from customtacos and how he mounted it... Nice to be able to mount like that and keep both seats fully functional plus sliding and reclining both front seats.

Old 01-28-2014, 04:48 PM   #9
Just duct tape it

Well, I went ahead and ordered the JBL and RF Punch amp. Should fit my needs I would think.

Excited. Will be making a box that is probably very similar to the above.
Old 01-28-2014, 04:51 PM   #10
Christ Follower
RadRed06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRadRed06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRadRed06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRadRed06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRadRed06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRadRed06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRadRed06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRadRed06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRadRed06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRadRed06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRadRed06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Daniel
RadRed06's Tacoma Gallery
I have that JBL sub and its a solid woofer. Sounds amazing if tuned correctly and in the right box.
Old 01-28-2014, 05:19 PM   #11
Just duct tape it

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadRed06 View Post
I have that JBL sub and its a solid woofer. Sounds amazing if tuned correctly and in the right box.
Just what I wanted to hear!

Got everything on order and an amp wiring kit. All that will be needed is to build a box. I will probably install everything first and then work on the sub box.

The amp should work fine with the stereo I have on the way right?

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-eBvfauw...-KMM-100U.html

Just need to run power from the battery to the amp, run the Pre Out cable from the stereo to the amp and the remote cable from the stereo to the amp and ground the amp to the chassis?
Old 01-29-2014, 06:12 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by jspansel View Post
Just what I wanted to hear!

Got everything on order and an amp wiring kit. All that will be needed is to build a box. I will probably install everything first and then work on the sub box.

The amp should work fine with the stereo I have on the way right?

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-eBvfauw...-KMM-100U.html

Just need to run power from the battery to the amp, run the Pre Out cable from the stereo to the amp and the remote cable from the stereo to the amp and ground the amp to the chassis?
You make it all sound so easy

That should all work. Enjoy all the work hiding wires and especially getting the power wire from the battery into your Taco. If you watch the youtube videos from taco tunes, you can see where they ran wires. I did not do mine exactly the same, but it gave me good ideas.
Old 02-02-2014, 09:12 AM   #13
18 wheels
1993t100 is one of the sharper tools in the shed1993t100 is one of the sharper tools in the shed1993t100 is one of the sharper tools in the shed1993t100 is one of the sharper tools in the shed1993t100 is one of the sharper tools in the shed1993t100 is one of the sharper tools in the shed1993t100 is one of the sharper tools in the shed1993t100 is one of the sharper tools in the shed1993t100 is one of the sharper tools in the shed1993t100 is one of the sharper tools in the shed1993t100 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Samuel
1993t100's Tacoma Gallery
Any updates?
Old 02-02-2014, 12:16 PM   #14
Just duct tape it

Not installed yet. Amp isnt showing up until this week apparently so will get it all workin this next weekend.
Old 02-03-2014, 12:51 PM   #15
Just duct tape it

Got my amp and speaker and wiring kit. This amp is a sexy little bitch. The test sheet shows it is actually 268 RMS. Nice to know RF is producing over what they claim. That extra shouldnt hurt the JBL should it?

The JBL is a beastly little guy too! Think these two together are going to sound really nice. I found a box online and just said screw it and ordered it. Only $20 something. Good reviews. I'll just toss it behind my seat for now. I never have anyone behind my seat, just my kid on the passenger side. Dog rides in the bed under the cap. I'll eventually build something custom for it down the road.

Will be installing the head unit and the amp/sub this weekend.
Old 02-03-2014, 12:53 PM   #16
MGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

MGMTacolover55's Tacoma Gallery
Let us know how it sounds dude.
Old 02-11-2014, 05:04 PM   #17
Just duct tape it

Sorry for not updating...

The box I ordered from Amazon for the sub STILL has not shown up. Was supposed to be delivered on the 7th! All this snow storm stuff, they said there was a train derailment, etc. Was supposed to be delivered yesterday and still didnt show up or today as well. Getting a little frustrated. Amazon refunded my shipping so that was nice of them. I didn't even ask them to.

So, hopefully it will show up within the next few days. Could of built a nice custom box by now! I got the stereo all hooked up and pre wired for the amp. I will be running the wires under the carpet and try to get everything ready for when the box shows up. Then just hook it all up and bump away into the sunset.

I'm a very impatient person so this is killing me haha.
Old 02-12-2014, 11:32 AM   #18
Just duct tape it

Finally got my sub box today! Hope my speaker fits. Pretty small looking box. It should.. I'll test it out at lunch. Will try to install tonight but not sure how that will turn out.

The box itself is pretty nice quality for the price! I'd recommend it for sure. Better than I could have made for the price. Plus I got free shipping since they took forever to deliver.

This is the one I got.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 02-12-2014, 01:36 PM   #19
Just duct tape it

Mounted the sub on my lunch break. Fits perfect! Will try to get it set up this evening. I may just run the wires back there and not hide them yet. So I can hear it. I'll probably run the wires better and hide them this weekend.

Old 02-12-2014, 09:51 PM   #20
Just duct tape it

Said screw it and ran all the wires and hooked it all up proper.

I FREAKIN LOVE THIS THING! It is the absolute perfect sound that I was looking for. Nice and tight as well as hitting some deep bass notes. I cant believe the sound that this little 8" guy produces. I wouldnt want anymore bass. It is perfect.

I still need to fine tune it all but from what I have now, I am extremely happy.

Couple quick install pics. I know it is not recommended to run RCA with power, but i've read its not that big of a deal either. Who knows. I dont have any noise or interference so I think its good.

Here is how I mounted my fuse holder:

Here is where I ran the power wire:

And then I ran them all behind the carpet behind the pedals and down the driver side rail. Then out under the driver seat.

All the pics I got. Cut the wires to length, hooked em all up to my amp under the driver seat. Then I just have the sub sitting on the back driver side seat (with the cushion up) for now. I grounded to the driver rear seat mount. Ground all the paint off the bolt, seat and everything else I could get right in there. Seems to be good.

Products Discussed in this Thread