1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2014 DCLB Speaker Choices?

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by AEmedic, Feb 7, 2014.

1. Feb 7, 2014 at 3:34 PM
    AEmedic

AEmedic [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Boise, ID
    Vehicle:
    2014 DCLB 4X4 TRD Sport Supercharged
    TRD Supercharger, Toytec Adj. Coil-Overs, Bilstein 5100's, JL Audio system w/Kenwood DNX9980HD HU
    Some of the better speakers require power from an amp...as I understand it, some speakers are more sensitive than others, thus, more capable at lower RMS levels.

I want some high quality speakers that will sound great running at or just below 20 watts RMS (Kenwood claims 22 watts RMS).

Front components

Rear non-components

Any ideas?

2. Feb 11, 2014 at 6:19 AM
    2013TacoLTD

2013TacoLTD Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dennis
    Mckinney, TX
    Vehicle:
    13 Tacoma Limited V6 4X2
    Radio On Mod, Complete new stereo with 10" subs, Truxedo bed cover, GT-MAT through doors and rear cab.
    Crutchfield is the best place to research this. Good luck though, as I started changing my door speakers to more sensitive db ratings, you could no longer hear the subwoofer. This led me to upgrade the sub, that led me to replace the head unit (something I did not want to do). You can see what I did in my link in my signature.

3. Feb 12, 2014 at 3:18 PM
    AEmedic

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Boise, ID
    Vehicle:
    TRD Supercharger, Toytec Adj. Coil-Overs, Bilstein 5100's, JL Audio system w/Kenwood DNX9980HD HU
    Well, I have decided to just run all the speakers off of an amp.

Now, everything I have had in the past paid little attention to imaging or staging...I'm not sure I care now, but...

Two-way coaxial speakers in the rear or not, that is the question?

I have been thinking about JL C5-650 comps in the front and just the C5-650CW (woofer only) in the back. In the past I would have put the C5-650X coaxial speakers in the back without thinking twice.

With as much money as all this is costing me, I want to do it right.

Opinions?

4. Feb 12, 2014 at 3:49 PM
    Riverdog

Riverdog Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Collin
    Portland, OR
    Vehicle:
    '05 Double Cab PreRunner
    I'd probably do the C5-650CWs in the back just because I think that would sound better. But it just depends on what sounds best to you.

5. Feb 12, 2014 at 6:28 PM
    AEmedic

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Boise, ID
    Vehicle:
    Which is the route I intended to go. Most on here and in almost every Google search, most people predominantly install Coaxials in the rear. Shoot I even contacted JL and the guy shot me back this scenario:

Frt: C5-570X (5X7 coaxial) with additional C5-075 (satellite tweeters)
    Rr: C 2-650X Coaxial

He said along with the amp and Stealthbox, it would be a great sounding system.

His choices are confusing since he chose a 5X7 coax and a separate tweeter for the front...not to mention the coax for the rear. I would have thought those guys would steer me right.

Anyway, most people put coaxial speakers in the rear, I even have in the past and thought it was great. Maybe it's just a learning curve?

6. Feb 12, 2014 at 8:49 PM
    Riverdog

Riverdog Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Collin
    Portland, OR
    Vehicle:
    '05 Double Cab PreRunner
    That's a little interesting that he would recommend that.

Some people truly think it sounds better with coaxials in the rear. And that's fine. I'm not a fan of Infinity speakers because they tend to be too bright for my taste. But other people say they're the best thing since sliced bread.

The way I see it, I'm the only one that's in my truck 100% of the time; no one else drives it. So the money I spend will go towards making me happy with the sound, not the passengers in the back. Besides, when there are people in the back seat I highly doubt they'll even notice there aren't coaxials in the rear.

I'm with you on the learning curve. I have put the same 3-way speakers in all four doors of a previous car. Looking back, definitely overkill. But at the time, the thought of putting woofers in the back hadn't occurred to me. I think a lot of people aren't aware of all the options out there so they go for full range speakers.

7. Feb 13, 2014 at 5:32 AM
    2013TacoLTD

2013TacoLTD Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dennis
    Mckinney, TX
    Vehicle:
    13 Tacoma Limited V6 4X2
    Radio On Mod, Complete new stereo with 10" subs, Truxedo bed cover, GT-MAT through doors and rear cab.
    I have Infinity speakers and I agree they are too sharp. I actually removed the tweeters from the component system I put in the front of my double cab and used the factory one because I could not hear any highs without it hurting my ears. Like you said, a friend of mine raved about these speakers. I would not buy Infinity again (at least not the component speakers).

Products Discussed in

To Top