Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Audio & Video

Notices

Head Unit with Android Integration

Old 02-10-2014, 07:17 PM   #1
Duae Rotarum per Sempre
canyonchaser is one of the sharper tools in the shedcanyonchaser is one of the sharper tools in the shedcanyonchaser is one of the sharper tools in the shedcanyonchaser is one of the sharper tools in the shedcanyonchaser is one of the sharper tools in the shedcanyonchaser is one of the sharper tools in the shedcanyonchaser is one of the sharper tools in the shedcanyonchaser is one of the sharper tools in the shedcanyonchaser is one of the sharper tools in the shedcanyonchaser is one of the sharper tools in the shedcanyonchaser is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army:
Name: Dave
canyonchaser's Tacoma Gallery
Head Unit with Android Integration

Is there an affordable head unit out there that will still work with the steering wheel controls and allow me to plug in my android or iphone?

I have a Grom, but it never has worked very well, and I can't get it to recognize the USB port.

Thanks
Old 02-10-2014, 07:30 PM   #2
braik will become famous soon enough
braik's Tacoma Gallery
I have the JVC KW-HDR81BT. It is excellent, I highly recommend it. You can match the color to your dash, easy to wire, works with my Droid phone (Spotify mostly, and voice calling), and has a usb/aux in the front. Bought it from Crutchfield and it came with everything needed to install for just under $200. Steering wheel integration may cost a little extra, I don't know, I don't have steering wheel controls.
Old 02-11-2014, 06:01 AM   #3
2013TacoLTD is just really nice2013TacoLTD is just really nice2013TacoLTD is just really nice2013TacoLTD is just really nice

Name: Dennis
2013TacoLTD's Tacoma Gallery
I have the Pioneer 8500BHS and I dislike the integration. You cannot touch the radio screen and have it affect the phone. This means I have to take my eyes off the road to look at my phone to change stuff. I really bought this unit so I could use the GPS from my phone, but if you use the phone GPS, you can only listen to music being played by the phone. In my mind, I thought I could still listen to the radio while seeing the GPS screen. Running a GPS app and Siriusxm, all while the screen stays on is hard on a battery even while being charged.

I would not buy this head unit for the Android features, though I do like much of the rest of the features.
Old 02-16-2014, 07:04 AM   #4
samiam is a splendid one to beholdsamiam is a splendid one to beholdsamiam is a splendid one to beholdsamiam is a splendid one to beholdsamiam is a splendid one to beholdsamiam is a splendid one to beholdsamiam is a splendid one to behold

Name: Sam
samiam's Tacoma Gallery
I'm in the middle of installing a JVC KW NSX700 with MirrorLink. I have the Drive Link app on my Galaxy S3. Just started playing around with the integration and it seems to be very good.
Old 02-22-2014, 12:52 PM   #5
rbishopp is one of the sharper tools in the shedrbishopp is one of the sharper tools in the shedrbishopp is one of the sharper tools in the shedrbishopp is one of the sharper tools in the shedrbishopp is one of the sharper tools in the shedrbishopp is one of the sharper tools in the shedrbishopp is one of the sharper tools in the shedrbishopp is one of the sharper tools in the shedrbishopp is one of the sharper tools in the shedrbishopp is one of the sharper tools in the shedrbishopp is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Firefighter: ARFF @ ROC
Name: Rich
rbishopp's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by samiam View Post
I'm in the middle of installing a JVC KW NSX700 with MirrorLink. I have the Drive Link app on my Galaxy S3. Just started playing around with the integration and it seems to be very good.
Post back how it all works. This meets my needs too. I can get in my girl friends Rav4 and my pandora starts playing. So naturally I want that in my Tacoma too.
Old 02-22-2014, 04:14 PM   #6
samiam is a splendid one to beholdsamiam is a splendid one to beholdsamiam is a splendid one to beholdsamiam is a splendid one to beholdsamiam is a splendid one to beholdsamiam is a splendid one to beholdsamiam is a splendid one to behold

Name: Sam
samiam's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbishopp View Post
Post back how it all works. This meets my needs too. I can get in my girl friends Rav4 and my pandora starts playing. So naturally I want that in my Tacoma too.
Drive Link and MirrorLink is a cool system, but limited in the apps you can use. Pandora plays through Bluetooth on Android, but plays music on your phone via wired connection and sounds very good. The only navigation app that I can get to work is Google Maps. Making calls and receiving calls works very well and has a nice interface. You're supposed to get notification of texts, but it won't read them to you or display them. You actually can't even access texts on your phone while your phone is plugged into the HU. I haven't found any other apps that I can use with the system yet, but I'm still looking and trying different things. I think the best function is using using navigation.