Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Audio & Video

Notices

My Console Subwoofer Build

Old 02-10-2014, 10:53 PM   #1
Bazzy is on a distinguished road
Bazzy's Tacoma Gallery
My Console Subwoofer Build

Figured I'd start a thread for this. I'm building up a console subwoofer, very similar to the JL Audio one. I might have been able to get a better sub, but the rest of my system is Kenwood and I want to keep one brand throughout the truck.

Subwoofer: 10" Kenwood Kfc-w2513ps
EQ: SSL S4EQ
Amp: Kenwood KAC-5001PS

I cut the bottom out of the console and moved it up 5 inches. I'm trying not to lose my rear cup holders, I think there will be about 1" between their base and the subwoofer.

Still waiting on my MDF ring. In the mean time, I can relocated my inverter and install the new amp. Luckily, all of my wiring is already installed from the outgoing enclosed subwoofer under the passenger seat.

Inside the console, I'll be using car insulation with dynamat over that. Then install the console, lay down tape, and make a fiberglass mold. Once it's done drying, pop it out and finish the layers. Ideal Sealed Box Volume (cubic feet) is .65, my box will be .66

My door speakers are Kenwood KFC-6984PS. They're powered with a Kenwood Kac-8405. Audio is fed from my iPad install that most of you have probably seen.

Old 02-10-2014, 10:55 PM   #2
TexasPreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasPreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasPreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasPreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasPreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasPreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasPreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasPreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasPreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasPreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasPreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Anthony
TexasPreRunner's Tacoma Gallery
Subd
Old 02-12-2014, 12:39 AM   #3
Bazzy's Tacoma Gallery
This evening I relocated the inverter underneath the passenger seat, trashed a bunch of brackets, and cleaned up some wiring. I couldn't find Dynamat locally, so I went to Home Depot and got some of this: http://www.homedepot.com/p/Frost-Kin...V516/100028603

Tomorrow is taping the interior, installing the console, and fiberglassing the console box.
Old 02-12-2014, 12:49 AM   #4
Ain't nobody got time for dat!
DEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dave
DEEVON911's Tacoma Gallery
Looks like nice work so far...

Old 02-12-2014, 12:52 AM   #5
DEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Oh and Mmmmmm Reese's cups...
Old 02-12-2014, 01:09 AM   #6
Bazzy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by DEEVON911 View Post
Oh and Mmmmmm Reese's cups...
Those bastards put them right by the register.

My biggest concern is vibration. While driving, I almost always have my arm resting on the console with hand on the shifter. It's going to drive me insane if it's buzzing uncontrollably . Do you think I should double up the sound deadening? I'm concerned with removing too much space
Old 02-12-2014, 01:15 AM   #7
tacomonazul is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomonazul is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomonazul is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomonazul is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomonazul is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomonazul is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomonazul is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomonazul is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomonazul is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomonazul is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomonazul is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Luis
tacomonazul's Tacoma Gallery
subd
Old 02-12-2014, 01:23 AM   #8
TexasPreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasPreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasPreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasPreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasPreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasPreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasPreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasPreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasPreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasPreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasPreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Does that duct insulation have a bad smell to it at all?
Old 02-12-2014, 01:23 AM   #9
MGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

MGMTacolover55's Tacoma Gallery
Interesting place for a sub but anyways sub'd
Old 02-12-2014, 01:30 AM   #10
Bazzy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasPreRunner View Post
Does that duct insulation have a bad smell to it at all?
I read that people were using roofing insulation, and during the summer time their cars smell like asphalt. Frost King is meant for plumbing and has no smell
Old 02-12-2014, 01:32 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bazzy View Post
I read that people were using roofing insulation, and during the summer time their cars smell like asphalt. Frost King is meant for plumbing and has no smell
Awesome thanks!
Old 02-12-2014, 03:15 AM   #12
Airframes Chief is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirframes Chief is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirframes Chief is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirframes Chief is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirframes Chief is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirframes Chief is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirframes Chief is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirframes Chief is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirframes Chief is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirframes Chief is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirframes Chief is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Maintenance Chief P-3 Navy
Name: Kekoa
Airframes Chief's Tacoma Gallery
Sub'd!
Old 02-12-2014, 03:56 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bazzy View Post
Those bastards put them right by the register.

My biggest concern is vibration. While driving, I almost always have my arm resting on the console with hand on the shifter. It's going to drive me insane if it's buzzing uncontrollably . Do you think I should double up the sound deadening? I'm concerned with removing too much space
Yeah kind of a damned if you do, damned if you don't situation there. I would certainly go over the whole console and check screws and clips etc... Re-enforce where you can there. That might help. I don't think you're going to get away from all vibrations.
Old 02-12-2014, 08:35 PM   #14
Bazzy's Tacoma Gallery
Not much to update, bad weather has delayed my shipment. I can't proceed with the glass until I have my MDF ring and speaker. I did get my EQ hooked up and layered the box. Painters tape wouldn't stick to the sound deadening material so I did a layer of duct tape. I decided to go as far into the console as I could.

I think I may need to relocate the EQ, but I love it in the console. I think it's just taking up too much room. I'm going to get some packing peanuts tomorrow and test out the volume first. Another thought is eliminating that random cup holder.

Another note, my door speakers amp wasn't tuned correctly, I wasn't getting much bass to the doors. Now that it's fixed, I need to pull my door trim and line them with deadening material. They are rattling like crazy with the bass up

Another edit, maybe I should move the EQ to the cubby underneath the AC controls and make a door, like this:

I want an OEM appearance, I don't like aftermarket things clearly visible
Old 03-08-2014, 09:05 PM   #15
cmcmanigal is on a distinguished road
Name: Connor
cmcmanigal's Tacoma Gallery
Any updates? I'm extremely interested in doing this and curious how yours turns out. I also don't like aftermarket things visible.