Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Audio & Video

Notices

Product Like Grom?

Old 02-12-2014, 09:48 AM   #1
Duae Rotarum per Sempre
canyonchaser is one of the sharper tools in the shedcanyonchaser is one of the sharper tools in the shedcanyonchaser is one of the sharper tools in the shedcanyonchaser is one of the sharper tools in the shedcanyonchaser is one of the sharper tools in the shedcanyonchaser is one of the sharper tools in the shedcanyonchaser is one of the sharper tools in the shedcanyonchaser is one of the sharper tools in the shedcanyonchaser is one of the sharper tools in the shedcanyonchaser is one of the sharper tools in the shedcanyonchaser is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army:
Name: Dave
canyonchaser's Tacoma Gallery
Product Like Grom?

So I have a Grom. The USB plug was crap and it shorted the box and half the functions no longer work. But they've since updated their product. Grom isn't really impressing me with their customer service. I just want to buy a new box, but they only want to sell me a new kit.

Anyway, I digress. Is there any alternative to Grom?
Old 02-12-2014, 09:59 AM   #2
2013TacoLTD is just really nice2013TacoLTD is just really nice2013TacoLTD is just really nice2013TacoLTD is just really nice

Name: Dennis
2013TacoLTD's Tacoma Gallery
What is a grom?
Old 02-12-2014, 10:00 AM   #3
Duae Rotarum per Sempre
canyonchaser is one of the sharper tools in the shedcanyonchaser is one of the sharper tools in the shedcanyonchaser is one of the sharper tools in the shedcanyonchaser is one of the sharper tools in the shedcanyonchaser is one of the sharper tools in the shedcanyonchaser is one of the sharper tools in the shedcanyonchaser is one of the sharper tools in the shedcanyonchaser is one of the sharper tools in the shedcanyonchaser is one of the sharper tools in the shedcanyonchaser is one of the sharper tools in the shedcanyonchaser is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2013TacoLTD View Post
What is a grom?
http://www.gromaudio.com/store/usb_a...interface.html
Old 03-30-2014, 10:32 PM   #4
DrWang is on a distinguished road
DrWang's Tacoma Gallery
I realize that this post is over a month old but maybe this is still helpful.

I ended up finally buying a double din kenwood deck from crutchfield to replace my groms. I wish I had done this sooner. $200 delivered with Bluetooth, USB, and aux inputs. It's great in my '06 access cab.

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_113DPX5...T.html?tp=5684

Ugh on the Grom. I was foolish enough to buy two Grom iPod adapters and they both crapped out on me (might be a problem with the cables). I agree that their customer service is lacking. I sent in a cable for warranty replacement and they made me take macro pictures with my slr of the connector.
Old 03-30-2014, 10:36 PM   #5
DK2006Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedDK2006Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedDK2006Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedDK2006Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedDK2006Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedDK2006Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedDK2006Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedDK2006Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedDK2006Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedDK2006Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedDK2006Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: D
DK2006Yota's Tacoma Gallery
This is another option with aux input, bluetooth and usb. Have it in my truck.

http://www.amazon.com/Clarion-CX501-.../dp/B004KVLB9E
Old 03-30-2014, 10:43 PM   #6
DrWang is on a distinguished road
DrWang's Tacoma Gallery
Right. There's a lot of options for double din decks at the $200 and less price point. So the lesson here is, don't screw around with half solutions (eg Grom which costs over $100) when for a little more cash you can have a better solution.
Old 03-31-2014, 06:35 AM   #7
Duae Rotarum per Sempre

Army:
Yeah. My Grom ended up in the round file with nothing really good to say about the company.

My final solution was taking apart the OEM radio and soldering in a mini jack. It's not a perfect solution, but it works good enough. I didn't need blue tooth, I just really wanted to be able to play streamed audio through the radio.

Hopefully the next Gen Taco will have a better media center, so we won't have to monkey with any of this crap again.

dp