Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Audio & Video

Notices

Remote alarm that works with factory remote door locks?

Old 02-12-2014, 03:50 PM   #1
kevine is one of the sharper tools in the shedkevine is one of the sharper tools in the shedkevine is one of the sharper tools in the shedkevine is one of the sharper tools in the shedkevine is one of the sharper tools in the shedkevine is one of the sharper tools in the shedkevine is one of the sharper tools in the shedkevine is one of the sharper tools in the shedkevine is one of the sharper tools in the shedkevine is one of the sharper tools in the shedkevine is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: Sgt., Stinger missile gunner, 86-94
kevine's Tacoma Gallery
Remote alarm that works with factory remote door locks?

When I bought my '13 Tacoma, it only came with the factory remote door locks, no alarm.

I want to get an alarm, and other than going to Toyota, any recommendations for aftermarket alarms that work with the remove door locks? Are the alarms any better/worse (quality wise) than just getting a Toyota OEM alarm?

Preferably something that has an adjustment screw for sensitivity...Thx
Old 02-13-2014, 09:06 PM   #2
Riverdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedRiverdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedRiverdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedRiverdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedRiverdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedRiverdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedRiverdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedRiverdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedRiverdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedRiverdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedRiverdog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Collin
Riverdog's Tacoma Gallery
Most of the major brands out there are actually the same. Directed Electronics makes Viper, AutoStart, Clifford, AstroStart, AutoMate, Python, and Avital. When comparing these brands, you'll notice the model numbers can look similar (e.g. Viper 5704 and Clifford 570.4). When the model numbers look like variants of one another, they're more than likely the exact same unit with a different label.

You should be happy with an alarm by any of these brands.
Old 02-13-2014, 09:09 PM   #3
Riverdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedRiverdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedRiverdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedRiverdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedRiverdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedRiverdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedRiverdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedRiverdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedRiverdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedRiverdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedRiverdog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Oh, and for the sensitivities. Most alarms come with a shock sensor that is adjustable. There are other sensors you can buy like a glass break sensor or tilt sensor. These additional sensors will either be fully adjustable or have something like "sensitivity setting 1," "sensitivity setting 2," etc.
Old 02-13-2014, 09:22 PM   #4
kevine is one of the sharper tools in the shedkevine is one of the sharper tools in the shedkevine is one of the sharper tools in the shedkevine is one of the sharper tools in the shedkevine is one of the sharper tools in the shedkevine is one of the sharper tools in the shedkevine is one of the sharper tools in the shedkevine is one of the sharper tools in the shedkevine is one of the sharper tools in the shedkevine is one of the sharper tools in the shedkevine is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: Sgt., Stinger missile gunner, 86-94
kevine's Tacoma Gallery
Thx riverdog!
Old 02-13-2014, 10:09 PM   #5
ZMan2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZMan2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZMan2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZMan2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZMan2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZMan2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZMan2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZMan2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZMan2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZMan2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZMan2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Richard
ZMan2k2's Tacoma Gallery
I've had a Viper in my truck since new in 2006. Works where I push the button once and it unlocks all the doors. Has the sensitivity module, and I popped for the glass break module as well. I love it. I've never had a problem with it at all, but my remote is starting to show it's age. I've dropped it too many times, and it's cracked and the tones don't work as well as they used to. May have to drop the $300 on a new remote soon.
Old 02-13-2014, 10:15 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevine View Post
Thx riverdog!
No problem. If you're feeling ambitious you could install your own. I did a write up, here, on how to install a Viper 5704 alarm with remote start.