Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Audio & Video

Notices

2014 Tacoma double cab system questions

Old 02-12-2014, 02:56 PM   #1
tacoma2014 is on a distinguished road

Name: Brandon
tacoma2014's Tacoma Gallery
2014 Tacoma double cab system questions

I am like most guys wanting to get rid of that horrible stereo in the 2014. I was at Cartoys talking options and the guy told me I could keep the factory head unit if I got some programming box that allows me to run 2 amps 2 10's and having one amp for speakers and one amp for the subs. he said without the box programmer thing it would not be powerful enough with the factory head unit nor would I be able to run amps or subs. Is this correct? I want a loud, killer sounding system in it and that is the best place I could think of to do the stuff. any tips or input? Thanks fellas!
Old 02-12-2014, 03:10 PM   #2
AEmedic is one of the sharper tools in the shedAEmedic is one of the sharper tools in the shedAEmedic is one of the sharper tools in the shedAEmedic is one of the sharper tools in the shedAEmedic is one of the sharper tools in the shedAEmedic is one of the sharper tools in the shedAEmedic is one of the sharper tools in the shedAEmedic is one of the sharper tools in the shedAEmedic is one of the sharper tools in the shedAEmedic is one of the sharper tools in the shedAEmedic is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Air Force: Director of Wing Inspections
Name: Chris
AEmedic's Tacoma Gallery
Likely, they are talking about a Line Out Converter (LOC), a good one can correct for the fact that our HUs correct for low power cheap speakers by turning down the bass as the volume increases. Some have complained that there is hiss at low volumes and that the factory HU has very little equalization capability. You are better off just planning to change the HU for something better. It's either that or you will decide to do it later and spend money twice...
Old 02-12-2014, 03:18 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by AEmedic View Post
Likely, they are talking about a Line Out Converter (LOC), a good one can correct for the fact that our HUs correct for low power cheap speakers by turning down the bass as the volume increases. Some have complained that there is hiss at low volumes and that the factory HU has very little equalization capability. You are better off just planning to change the HU for something better. It's either that or you will decide to do it later and spend money twice...
Does a new head unit have all the features the factory one does?
Old 02-12-2014, 03:22 PM   #4
AEmedic is one of the sharper tools in the shedAEmedic is one of the sharper tools in the shedAEmedic is one of the sharper tools in the shedAEmedic is one of the sharper tools in the shedAEmedic is one of the sharper tools in the shedAEmedic is one of the sharper tools in the shedAEmedic is one of the sharper tools in the shedAEmedic is one of the sharper tools in the shedAEmedic is one of the sharper tools in the shedAEmedic is one of the sharper tools in the shedAEmedic is one of the sharper tools in the shed
AEmedic's Tacoma Gallery
You can have all of the features of the stock HU and more, but it takes a number of interface adapters to get there.

Here is the list, as I know it...

Metra Wiring harness: 70-1761

Metra Antenna adapter: 40-LX11

Metra Steering wheel interface: AXXESS ASWC-1

Metra USB Adapter: AX-TOYUSB

VAIS Shark Fin Antenna Adapter: SFA12M

eBay back-up camera adapter from seller ckremernimrod1
Old 02-12-2014, 03:24 PM   #5

Quote:
You can have all of the features of the stock HU and more, but it takes a number of interface adapters to get there.

Here is the list, as I know it...

Metra Wiring harness: 70-1761

Metra Antenna adapter: 40-LX11

Metra Steering wheel interface: AXXESS ASWC-1

Metra USB Adapter: AX-TOYUSB

VAIS Shark Fin Antenna Adapter: SFA12M

eBay back-up camera adapter from seller ckremernimrod1
ok cool. so all those will allow me to run my factory steering controls and backup camera and such?
Old 02-12-2014, 03:30 PM   #6
AEmedic's Tacoma Gallery
Yes...however, my experience at this point is all from research. My reading says that this is true but I am in the middle of ordering everything and have not witnessed them work, yet...
Old 02-12-2014, 03:38 PM   #7

Quote:
Yes...however, my experience at this point is all from research. My reading says that this is true but I am in the middle of ordering everything and have not witnessed them work, yet...
ok good to know. I am thinking the kenwood headunits are the best?
Old 02-12-2014, 03:43 PM   #8
AEmedic's Tacoma Gallery
It depends, I like Kenwood, but I have learned that Pioneer does a great job of sending out updates even for quite old units. My 3yr old Kenwood DNX9980HD is not being supported with map updates already... $1200 unit, pretty sad!
Old 02-12-2014, 03:51 PM   #9

Quote:
It depends, I like Kenwood, but I have learned that Pioneer does a great job of sending out updates even for quite old units. My 3yr old Kenwood DNX9980HD is not being supported with map updates already... $1200 unit, pretty sad!
didn't even think of that!