Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Audio & Video

Notices

Appradio3 Unchained: Car Audio Heaven

Old 02-12-2014, 05:24 PM   #1
Sounds Gooooood
ItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
ItalynStylion's Tacoma Gallery
Appradio3 Unchained: Car Audio Heaven

Since the build in my Tacoma I've purchased a 1993 Mazda RX7; my dream car. I still have the Tacoma so don't fret. I have an Eclipse 726e double din NAV unit in the truck. That nav unit is about 5 years old. Still works great and does everything I need. That being said, I was hoping that we progressed in the last 5 years. I was wrong to think that car audio had actually gone anywhere in terms of headunits. I thought for sure I was going to end up with an iPad in the dash. I was feeling quite underwhelmed by the headunit market when I stumbled upon the Appradio3. What I discovered was far and away better than I ever thought possible.

The standard Appradio3 app is the biggest piece of shit ever. But some super smart guy decided to hack the app and make it what it SHOULD have been; and he succeeded!

Enter Appradio Unchained...

This app is totally free and allows you to essentially mirror your phone's touch screen on the headunit and run the audio through it. You MUST have a rooted android device for this to work. I believe there's something out there for iPhone too but I'm unfamiliar with what it is.

Long story short folks, anything you have on your phone is compatible since you're using your phone as the "brain" and you're simply using the headunit as a touch interface and a conduit for sound. Watch the video and it will start to make sense.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VbxsN...ature=youtu.be
Old 02-12-2014, 05:49 PM   #2
Mmmmm... Beer
14TACO4X4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed14TACO4X4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed14TACO4X4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed14TACO4X4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed14TACO4X4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed14TACO4X4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed14TACO4X4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed14TACO4X4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed14TACO4X4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed14TACO4X4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed14TACO4X4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: MACS(SW) ret
Name: Shawn
14TACO4X4's Tacoma Gallery
My stereo connects to my iphone and streams all my stored music from my itunes.

That's pretty much all I need, although this is cool.
Old 02-12-2014, 05:57 PM   #3
Sounds Gooooood
ItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shed

^Congrats. I wish I was satisfied with the simple things in life. I'm simply not built that way! lol
Old 02-14-2014, 06:05 AM   #4
Sounds Gooooood

Apparently there's even more tools to make it better too. I'm just getting started with mine. Nova Launcher + Car Widget is really nice looking since it makes the app icons larger for easier use in the car.

There's also a utility that turns off the display on your phone but leaves the appradio screen running so your battery charges faster.
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1934495
Old 02-14-2014, 06:21 AM   #5
Bellis is one of the sharper tools in the shedBellis is one of the sharper tools in the shedBellis is one of the sharper tools in the shedBellis is one of the sharper tools in the shedBellis is one of the sharper tools in the shedBellis is one of the sharper tools in the shedBellis is one of the sharper tools in the shedBellis is one of the sharper tools in the shedBellis is one of the sharper tools in the shedBellis is one of the sharper tools in the shedBellis is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Ben
Bellis's Tacoma Gallery
the small number of apps is why I didn't like this, now I need a new head unit
Old 02-14-2014, 06:48 AM   #6
Sounds Gooooood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bellis View Post
the small number of apps is why I didn't like this, now I need a new head unit
But that's what the unchained app fixes....you can use ANY app. It simply mirrors your phone!
Old 02-14-2014, 07:01 AM   #7
2013TacoLTD is just really nice2013TacoLTD is just really nice2013TacoLTD is just really nice2013TacoLTD is just really nice

Name: Dennis
2013TacoLTD's Tacoma Gallery
This looks great, but last time I rooted a phone there were little issues that popped up here and there. Not sure it is worth the risk :/
Old 02-14-2014, 07:15 AM   #8
Sounds Gooooood

Yes rooting has it's issues if you REALLY dig in and go wild with it. I really just plan to root for the ability to use the Unchained app. My thought is that simply providing super user access won't hurt anything. It's when you start dicking around with other things you shouldn't touch; that's when it goes nuts lol.
Old 02-14-2014, 08:15 PM   #9
Riverdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedRiverdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedRiverdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedRiverdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedRiverdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedRiverdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedRiverdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedRiverdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedRiverdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedRiverdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedRiverdog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Collin
Riverdog's Tacoma Gallery
Looks good man! I'm satisfied with my current setup as it meets my needs, but yours still makes me a jealous. If I needed a new HU I'd probably go the same route you did. The animations seem to run pretty smooth. Have you run into any apps that aren't quite as smooth as you'd like?
Old 04-14-2014, 05:50 AM   #10
jlleiber has a spectacular aura aboutjlleiber has a spectacular aura about
Name: Justin
jlleiber's Tacoma Gallery
My appradio 3 is due to arrive in the next day or so and I'm pretty pumped about being able to have complete control of my phone on the headunit itself. Basically like having a tablet in your dash.

Any tips/tricks/annoyances you've come across in the couple months that you've had this? Still happy with Nova launcher?