Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Audio & Video

Notices

Kenwood DNX8120 Buying Experience

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-25-2009, 07:46 PM   #1
Senior Member
blacksandtaco is on a distinguished road
 
blacksandtaco's Avatar
Joined: Feb 2009, #13895
Location: Kansas
Gender: Guy
Posts: 135
blacksandtaco's Tacoma Gallery
Kenwood DNX8120 Buying Experience

I've searhed a lot of threads on this forum but haven't been able to really find what I'm looking for. I'm convinced that the 8120 is the head unit of the decade based on all the pros and cons I've seen. I've also noticed that there are a lot of bogus websites out there that CLAIM to have some outrageous deals on this HU. I'm curious to know what sites you all have purchased from, what prices you've paid and whether you actually received the HU or were jerked around instead.
In addition to that, please let me know if you have the metra or scosche dash kit. If you could list it out in the format below I think it will be most beneficial for those in the market for this HU. Thanks in advance! I guess I should add that I've already purchased the scosche dash kit and it is a pretty close match when compared to the molding on AC/Heater vents but not so close when compared to the textured molding on the AC/Heater control panel. Have heard that the metra kit is a much better match and is even textured. All thoughts are appreciated. Thanks again!

Site (bogus or legit, please specify)
Price
Dash Kit
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 08:07 PM   #2
Avatar approved by 98tacomav6
DanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Joined: Jun 2008, #7155
Location: Northern Virginia & Blacksburg
Age: 25
Gender: Male
Posts: 5,514
DanGer's Tacoma Gallery
Good question I agree with everything in here and am interested to hear some answers!
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 08:28 PM   #3
Senior Member
blacksandtaco is on a distinguished road
 
blacksandtaco's Avatar
Joined: Feb 2009, #13895
Location: Kansas
Gender: Guy
Posts: 135
blacksandtaco's Tacoma Gallery
Any thoughts...?
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 07:05 PM   #4
Senior Member
frankrizzo1 has a spectacular aura aboutfrankrizzo1 has a spectacular aura aboutfrankrizzo1 has a spectacular aura about
 
frankrizzo1's Avatar
Joined: Sep 2008, #9097
Location: San Diego
Gender: Male
Posts: 140
frankrizzo1's Tacoma Gallery
Bought the dnx8120 recently and love it! I bought the black textured metra kit, but was having problems with the screen adjusting/opening and closing as the trim piece fits too tightly. Therefore i would recomend the scosche dash kit. Bought all my stuff on ebay brand new.... checked sellers feedback.... and everything shipped super fast and came with tracking # too
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 11:00 AM   #5
Senior Member
blacksandtaco is on a distinguished road
 
blacksandtaco's Avatar
Joined: Feb 2009, #13895
Location: Kansas
Gender: Guy
Posts: 135
blacksandtaco's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for your response, frank. What did it cost you if you don't mind my asking?

Anyone else care to share?
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 11:34 AM   #6
Senior Member
Blackened Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackened Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackened Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackened Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackened Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackened Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackened Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackened Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackened Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackened Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackened Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
Blackened Taco's Avatar
Name: Tony
Joined: Nov 2008, #10771
Location: Virginia
Gender: Male
Posts: 594
Blackened Taco's Tacoma Gallery
I installed a Kenwood 5120 into my Tacoma and used the Scoshe kit first, worked ok it was in silver without any texture and it fit or what have ya but it didn't blow my skirt up. So I did some searching, I have a friend at a local stereo shop that I have bought other items from and I asked if he had a Metra dash kit for my truck in black. He said absolutely and it is even textured, so I was like cool let me check it out. The second it hit my hand I could tell the difference in quality and bought it and went home to switch it out with the other. As I went to install it everything was going find until I tried to put the actual faceplate on. The bottom left corner would not seat all of the way and as I pushed on that corner the upper right corner would come out. So what I did was, I took a belt sander and scribed the inner trim piece down on the lower left corner and scribed it to fit. Takes a lil patience but the final outcome was excellent and I could not be happier. I highly recommend the Metra kit even with having to do some minor fitting. I used a belt sander just because I am comfortable using one with my background of being a cabinetmaker but the same result can be accomplished by using a Dremel tool as well and you can get the same result. Do not just start grinding on it take a little bit at a time and keep fitting it until you have it where you want. A little effort is needed but the end result is worth it. If you want the best price on your HU go to www.sonicelectronix.com even Mr Marv will tell you this is a great site, no BS they have what they say they have and will come through for you. The Metra fit kit you can get at www.crutchfield.com. They too are very reliable and can handle any of your needs. For fit kit baffles for your speakers see MrMarv on this forum. Great guy and makes quality baffles. Marv and I are working together now to fit the Boston Acoustics speakers I bought for install on my truck I am using a SL60 component system for my front speakers and SL65 for my rear speakers. He will do whatever you need him to do. I hope this helps you out. Here is a pic of my HU intall, if you want a closer pic of the install let me know and I will gladly take a closer pic for you.


I also changed out my heater controls to black for a nice mix of silver and black.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 11:35 AM   #7
Junior Member
basalty is on a distinguished road
Joined: Oct 2007, #3066
Posts: 10
basalty's Tacoma Gallery
$1000 from local shop, with owners discount.
had the metra, could not get it to fit well, and poor alignment for the screen, and i really did not like the texture. scosche kit fit perfectly, with zero problems, looks great.
good luck.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 11:43 AM   #8
Senior Member
bass mechanic has a spectacular aura aboutbass mechanic has a spectacular aura about
Joined: May 2008, #6732
Location: colorado springs, colorado
Gender: Male
Posts: 256
bass mechanic's Tacoma Gallery
900 from my wholesaler on the west coast, (im thinking of doing a group buy someday) i got the metra kit, it works fine its the textured silver but im glad i found this thread because the pics i saw of the schoshe kit looked like it was a better match, it has the 3 indents along the top like the factory peice did. correct me if i am wrong can you post a pic of yours?

BTW
Blackened Taco i got the unit you have for a friend for $750 brand new with warranty.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 11:55 AM   #9
Senior Member
Blackened Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackened Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackened Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackened Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackened Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackened Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackened Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackened Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackened Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackened Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackened Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
Blackened Taco's Avatar
Name: Tony
Joined: Nov 2008, #10771
Location: Virginia
Gender: Male
Posts: 594
Blackened Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bass mechanic View Post
900 from my wholesaler on the west coast, (im thinking of doing a group buy someday) i got the metra kit, it works fine its the textured silver but im glad i found this thread because the pics i saw of the schoshe kit looked like it was a better match, it has the 3 indents along the top like the factory peice did. correct me if i am wrong can you post a pic of yours?

BTW
Blackened Taco i got the unit you have for a friend for $750 brand new with warranty.
The Scosche kit does have the 3 indentions that look like they ran it through a table saw with a set of dado blades or routed three notches into the top of it. The Scosche kit uses a cheesey setup you snap together and use their plastic radio mounting brackets on. The Metra kit uses your metal brackets and the 2 faceplates mounts one on top of another just like a Toyota trim component would be. The pressure clips that come on the Metra kit hold really well, even better than the factory clips and the inner faceplate uses a nutsert to screw the faceplate into it that would usually have a friction tab in that hole. Also the opening around the radio on Scosche kit is a 90 degree angle around the radio to whereas the Metra kit is beveled and it makes it easier to use the knobs on my HU. The 7120 and the 8120 have the buttons along the bottom of the HU and access to them is a little different. Bottom line IMO opinion is the Metra kit is more sturdy than the Scosche kit and they run about the same price. I personally did not like the nothes on the factory radio setup and to me the Metra kit is just cleaner. Everyone is different on what they like and noone is truly wrong one way or the other, it's a matter preference. Since I have used both on the same HU, I figured I would pass on my experience with each. Once again it comes down to personal preference. I listed the 3 links for the Kenwood HU's from the 5120, 7120, 8120 and hopes this helps you out on pricing.

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...d+DNX5120.html 599.99

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...d+DNX7120.html 849.99

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...n+DNX8120.html 1199.99

All uinits are brand new and ready to roll, 750.00 for the DNX5120 is too much, warranties can be purchased from 65.99-76.99 all units sold come with the factory warranty. If I bought the 5120 with a warranty and shipping I am still cheaper than the 750.00 you got for your friend. I think anyone would be happy with any of the Kenwood units, once again just my opinion. Also with the Kenwood units you can ground out your parking brake wire and watch DVD's while you roll down the road. I watch concert DVD's all the time while cruising along.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 02:21 PM   #10
Senior Member
bass mechanic has a spectacular aura aboutbass mechanic has a spectacular aura about
Joined: May 2008, #6732
Location: colorado springs, colorado
Gender: Male
Posts: 256
bass mechanic's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackened Taco View Post
The Scosche kit does have the 3 indentions that look like they ran it through a table saw with a set of dado blades or routed three notches into the top of it. The Scosche kit uses a cheesey setup you snap together and use their plastic radio mounting brackets on. The Metra kit uses your metal brackets and the 2 faceplates mounts one on top of another just like a Toyota trim component would be. The pressure clips that come on the Metra kit hold really well, even better than the factory clips and the inner faceplate uses a nutsert to screw the faceplate into it that would usually have a friction tab in that hole. Also the opening around the radio on Scosche kit is a 90 degree angle around the radio to whereas the Metra kit is beveled and it makes it easier to use the knobs on my HU. The 7120 and the 8120 have the buttons along the bottom of the HU and access to them is a little different. Bottom line IMO opinion is the Metra kit is more sturdy than the Scosche kit and they run about the same price. I personally did not like the nothes on the factory radio setup and to me the Metra kit is just cleaner. Everyone is different on what they like and noone is truly wrong one way or the other, it's a matter preference. Since I have used both on the same HU, I figured I would pass on my experience with each. Once again it comes down to personal preference. I listed the 3 links for the Kenwood HU's from the 5120, 7120, 8120 and hopes this helps you out on pricing.

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...d+DNX5120.html 599.99

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...d+DNX7120.html 849.99

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...n+DNX8120.html 1199.99

All uinits are brand new and ready to roll, 750.00 for the DNX5120 is too much, warranties can be purchased from 65.99-76.99 all units sold come with the factory warranty. If I bought the 5120 with a warranty and shipping I am still cheaper than the 750.00 you got for your friend. I think anyone would be happy with any of the Kenwood units, once again just my opinion. Also with the Kenwood units you can ground out your parking brake wire and watch DVD's while you roll down the road. I watch concert DVD's all the time while cruising along.
IM SORRY MY BAD i got the 7120 for 750.00 they look similar
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 07:59 PM   #12
Senior Member
blacksandtaco is on a distinguished road
 
blacksandtaco's Avatar
Joined: Feb 2009, #13895
Location: Kansas
Gender: Guy
Posts: 135
blacksandtaco's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for the input everyone. Blackened Taco, you said you switched out the heater controls from silver to black. Where did you go about doing that? I like the black look and think it would go really well with my paint job but I was under the impression that the heater/ac piece has a brain in it and costs roughly $600 from the manufacturer. Also, I saw the other pics of your truck. Very nice mods. Where did you get the black TRD All Terrain decal? I noticed you mounted the antenna for the nav of the HU on the inside of the passenger side windshield and the antenna for the satellite radio by the third brake light. Is there any reason you decided to mount it back there and not on the opposite side of the windshield from the nav and have you noticed any reception problems with the location on the nav antenna? I like the sonicelectronix site but am also looking at dealercostcaraudio.com. They sell the 8120 for $40 less and have a 3 year warranty as well.

Has anyone bought from dealercostcaraudio.com and if so, how did they do?

Anyone know whether 7120 and 8120 models offer variable illumination so you can change the blue lighting to match amber lighting?

Last question I promise. Do you think there will be a noticeable difference between 2V preamp and 5V preamp outs? 7120 has the 2V and 8120 has the 5V and I'm definitely thinking about adding some amps in the future.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 04:14 PM   #13
Senior Member
blacksandtaco is on a distinguished road
 
blacksandtaco's Avatar
Joined: Feb 2009, #13895
Location: Kansas
Gender: Guy
Posts: 135
blacksandtaco's Tacoma Gallery
bump
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 04:33 PM   #14
Senior Member
Blackened Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackened Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackened Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackened Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackened Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackened Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackened Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackened Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackened Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackened Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackened Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
Blackened Taco's Avatar
Name: Tony
Joined: Nov 2008, #10771
Location: Virginia
Gender: Male
Posts: 594
Blackened Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacksandtaco View Post
Thanks for the input everyone. Blackened Taco, you said you switched out the heater controls from silver to black. Where did you go about doing that? I like the black look and think it would go really well with my paint job but I was under the impression that the heater/ac piece has a brain in it and costs roughly $600 from the manufacturer. Also, I saw the other pics of your truck. Very nice mods. Where did you get the black TRD All Terrain decal? I noticed you mounted the antenna for the nav of the HU on the inside of the passenger side windshield and the antenna for the satellite radio by the third brake light. Is there any reason you decided to mount it back there and not on the opposite side of the windshield from the nav and have you noticed any reception problems with the location on the nav antenna? I like the sonicelectronix site but am also looking at dealercostcaraudio.com. They sell the 8120 for $40 less and have a 3 year warranty as well.




Has anyone bought from dealercostcaraudio.com and if so, how did they do?

Anyone know whether 7120 and 8120 models offer variable illumination so you can change the blue lighting to match amber lighting?


Last question I promise. Do you think there will be a noticeable difference between 2V preamp and 5V preamp outs? 7120 has the 2V and 8120 has the 5V and I'm definitely thinking about adding some amps in the future.
The heater controls I changed out would have been 665.00, but I have an extended warranty and when the new part came in it was black. How the hell did that happen? (rolling eyes) It's a mystery . The black TRD logos came from SOCKMONKEY, see his link on the vendor section on the main page, Sock is a good guy and worked with me on it, made a few mock ups and that was the final result that you see on the truck now. I think Sock is done designing for now but if you look at his links he does have some other ALL TERRAIN TRD logos. My NAV antenna I wanted out of the way, I like clean lines and I like to hide things so you don't always see what is up. The XM antenna is best on the outside of the vehicle and once again just a clean way to do it. I have had some peope say that you can put your NAV antenna in the dash behind the radio for an even cleaner look. NAV antenna has worked fine for me in the current location. As far as Dealercostaudio.com goes I had bought some speakers from them which they said they had in stock and 2 weeks later still no speakers so I had them credit me back my money and went back to Sonicelectronix.com which has not let me down as of yet and 4 other guys in my shop have bought from them as well. Getting what you ordered is worth a couple of dollars more to me for less hassles. The 7120 is also a great unit and for the money difference I do not know that I would buy the 8120, I am not sure about the voltage difference on the pre outs. Contact MrMarv aso on the vendors list here on TW and I am sure he can answer that for you. As far as the illumination, the 7120 buttons I believe are blue and they are not abe to be changed, the 5120 you can change to alot of colors. Check the specs sheet at sonicelectronix.com to confirm. I hope this helps you my friend. Any other questions, PM me.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 05:34 PM   #15
Senior Member
blacksandtaco is on a distinguished road
 
blacksandtaco's Avatar
Joined: Feb 2009, #13895
Location: Kansas
Gender: Guy
Posts: 135
blacksandtaco's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks a lot! I appreciate the follow up and that definitely answers all my questions.

I've seen some spec sheets on some sites that list variable illumination but it doesn't seem to be consistent on all sites. Does anyone else know whether you can change the illumination colors from the default blue to match interior lighting? All responses are appreciated.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 06:06 PM   #16
Senior Member
Blackened Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackened Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackened Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackened Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackened Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackened Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackened Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackened Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackened Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackened Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackened Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
Blackened Taco's Avatar
Name: Tony
Joined: Nov 2008, #10771
Location: Virginia
Gender: Male
Posts: 594
Blackened Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacksandtaco View Post
Thanks a lot! I appreciate the follow up and that definitely answers all my questions.

I've seen some spec sheets on some sites that list variable illumination but it doesn't seem to be consistent on all sites. Does anyone else know whether you can change the illumination colors from the default blue to match interior lighting? All responses are appreciated.

You can call sonic electronix and they will tell you. Them and Crutchfield by far have been the most reliable when it comes to good strong info. Glad I could help
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 01:39 PM   #17
Senior Member
REVHARD25 has a brilliant futureREVHARD25 has a brilliant futureREVHARD25 has a brilliant futureREVHARD25 has a brilliant futureREVHARD25 has a brilliant futureREVHARD25 has a brilliant futureREVHARD25 has a brilliant futureREVHARD25 has a brilliant futureREVHARD25 has a brilliant futureREVHARD25 has a brilliant futureREVHARD25 has a brilliant future
 
REVHARD25's Avatar
Joined: Mar 2008, #5113
Location: so cal
Age: 36
Gender: Male
Posts: 842
REVHARD25's Tacoma Gallery
[IMG][/IMG]Hookedontronics
dnx7120
700
scoshe
i first bought the dnx5120 and the navi did not work so im sending it back and i bought the better model
this one works great
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 03:26 PM   #18
Senior Member
Juiceman will become famous soon enough
Joined: Apr 2009, #15656
Location: Rhode Island
Gender: Male
Posts: 117
Juiceman's Tacoma Gallery
There is a difference of sound quality between the 5v and 2v pre outs. Maybe not everyones ears can hear it but there is a difference for a reason.

I seem to be the only one with zero problems with. Screen adjustment on my 8120 and the dash kits.

Metra is a far superior kit strength and wise they both basically look good.

If you're running high wattage, spend the extra few bucks and get the 8120.

I paid $1k for it about 2 days after it hit the market (I was waiting for it). That was with my friends cost at his audio shop. Kit was approx $30.

Best unit ive ever seen, heard or had.
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 09:27 PM   #19
Junior Member
moocowman is on a distinguished road
Joined: Nov 2009, #25586
Gender: Male
Posts: 1
moocowman's Tacoma Gallery
Dealer Cost Audio (dealercostaudio.com) rip-off

I ordered speakers. They used delay tactic after delay tactic until I requested cancellation. Then again, delay tactic after delay tactic and never actually processed the refund. After 2 months if their games, was fed up and had to dispute with my credit card company.
  Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
kenwood dnx8120 tammikm 2nd Gen. Tacomas 0 07-28-2010 03:13 PM
kenwood dnx8120 jagency1 Buy / Sell / Trade 9 02-24-2010 04:22 PM
kenwood dnx8120 value jagency1 Buy / Sell / Trade - Other 0 02-14-2010 05:29 PM
FS: Kenwood DNX8120 sizelove Buy / Sell / Trade 3 12-05-2009 05:35 AM


Copyright © 2014 Tacoma Forum. Tacoma World is not owned by, or affiliated with Toyota Motor Corporation.