1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Kenwood or Pioneer Head Unit (my requirements)

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by Negative1, Feb 15, 2014.

1. Feb 15, 2014 at 5:09 AM
    Negative1

Negative1 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Hey Guy's,

I haven't been into car audio for at least 15 years. So much has changed over these years.
    I have the 09 Tacoma TRD Dbl cab.

I'd like to get a new head unit and from what I have been reading it looks like most people go with either Pioneer or Kenwood HU's.

My requirements are as follows:

I have an android phone, so any integration that can work with that would be great.

1.) Bluetooth for audio streaming and handsfree calling

2.) Navigation (not sure if the head units use built in nav? or your google maps app?)

3.) USB interface for movie files etc and an Aux port for connecting other devices.

4.) DVD player for movies and such.

If anyone can give me some help it would be appreciated.
    Thanks! :)

2. Feb 15, 2014 at 7:06 AM
    taco 2011

taco 2011 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Alabama
    Vehicle:
    2011 Toyota Tacoma TRD SR5
    Westin Bull guard,predator nerf bars, Window Tint Legal limit, Weather tech Floor mats, Weather tech smoke visors, Wet Okole seat covers, OEM Roof Racks, Reverse Camera, Pace Edwards Full Metal Jack Rabbit Cover,Dyno power locking tailgate Trd alloy wheels, Dunlop at tires JL Stealthbox, JL custom fit molding kit, Directed Audio 500 watt amp, LCI adaptor. More mods to come.
    This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  3. Feb 15, 2014 at 4:41 PM
    Riverdog

Riverdog Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Collin
    Portland, OR
    Vehicle:
    '05 Double Cab PreRunner
    What's your budget?

4. Feb 15, 2014 at 6:57 PM
    Negative1

Member:
    Thanks guy's.

My budget is probably around 500$ or so. A little flexible though.

5. Feb 15, 2014 at 8:04 PM
    Riverdog

Riverdog Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Collin
    Portland, OR
    Vehicle:
    '05 Double Cab PreRunner
    If you're a little on the adventurous side, you can get a Pioneer AppRadio 3 ($500 with CD player, $400 without CD player) and then do what this guy did. Definitely check it out. Its pretty cool.

Besides doing what that guy did, I'm not aware of a head unit that will run navigation off an Android phone. They probably exist, I just don't know about them. Hopefully another, more informed TW member can shed some light here.

The Pioneer AVIC-X850BT seems like it has everything you want and includes built in navigation (via an SD card). One of the reviews says that it works with their Android phone. At $580, this is about as low as you can go with built in navigation while still getting a quality unit.

I can't seem to find if Kenwood has something with similar features in the same price range. All the Kenwood units with built in navigation are more expensive. At least that's what I'm seeing.

Also check out the Clarion NX404. It has the features you're looking for and works with Android phones. It also has built in navigation. Its still slightly above your budget at $550, but seems like it would be great.

Hopefully someone else will chime in and point out some HUs that can do navigation through an Android phone. If that's not possible and you want navigation, these two HUs might be your best bet.

If you can forgo on the navigation there are other units to look at, at lower prices.

6. Feb 16, 2014 at 7:59 AM
    Negative1

Member:
    Thanks Riverdog.

I read very mixed reviews about the appradio, however the way this guy has it setup with the ARunchained, it looks very promising.

I'll do some reading on this. Thanks again!

7. Feb 16, 2014 at 11:14 PM
    AZM9

AZM9 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jay
    Chandler, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2009 Prerunner TRD Sport
    ARE tonneau cover, Redline hood struts, Leaf TSB, and Trans TSB, Satoshi grille.
    I went with the Pioneer AVH-X5500BHS. Best move I made. I happen to have the JBL system so it integrated easily. I am 100 % satisfied with this unit. Works with android or iPhone. You just have to get the cable for it. It does apps, sat, hd, DVD, backup camera capability, rear USB. You can find this on Amazom for around 350.00 which is real reasonable. You can do nav with your phone apps if need be.

Products Discussed in

To Top