1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

So, my anniversary is coming up, what should I ask for?

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by ZMan2k2, Feb 15, 2014.

1. Feb 15, 2014 at 12:56 PM
    ZMan2k2

ZMan2k2 [OP] “Hold my beer and watch this!”

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    ‘Berta
    Vehicle:
    06 Rad Red DCLB SR5
    My wife recently asked me what I wanted for our anniversary. Right now, I have an Alpine CDE-117b single din deck in the truck, and I love it. It has controls for sub level, time alignment, parametric or standard EQ, etc. Problem is, the interior amp is dead, and I have no rear speakers. The pre-outs still work, so I have some sound, being the fronts and sub. It's a 4V pre-out system, and I get great sound from it.

That being said, I'm trying to decide which deck to ask for. I like single DINs, I don't need a display to distract me, and most of the double DINs that are out there, don't have the features of the two decks I'm looking at.

First up, the Pioneer DEH-80PRS. http://www.pioneerelectronics.ca/POCEN/Car/CD-Receivers/DEH-80PRS I like it, because it has 5V pre-outs, audiophile components, and I can load my music on an SDHC card, and simply make changes and adjustments and add to my music on the go. It's also got bluetooth for calls and streaming, but I can't tell if I can stream FLAC files to it, and that's what's on my phone. Anyways, that's one choice.

Second up, the Alpine CDE-HD149BT. http://www.alpine-usa.com/product/view/cde-hd149bt
    I like this one, as I'm used to the interface, has the sub level controls, can't tell if the Pioneer has this, and has great options for tuning, like using your phone for time-alignment, EQ, etc. Both have bluetooth for calling, something I don't have currently, and this is something I would like to have.

I linked the deck pages here, so that others could look over specs, and tell me if I'm missing something, or if they have personal experience with either. The Pioneer is nice, the Alpine is nice, I'm torn between the two. Help me out here TW.

2. Feb 15, 2014 at 3:10 PM
    Riverdog

Riverdog Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Collin
    Portland, OR
    Vehicle:
    '05 Double Cab PreRunner
    I'm not 100% sure, but on Amazon someone was asking if the Pioneer can play Flac files. Two other people answered and said that it cannot play Flac files. Here's the link to that.

3. Feb 15, 2014 at 3:53 PM
    ZMan2k2

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    ‘Berta
    Vehicle:
    06 Rad Red DCLB SR5
    Thanks Riverdog. Not a deal breaker by any means, as I can load high bitrate mp3's on an SDHC card. I'm listening that way right now on my Alpine, and it sounds alright. Any other inputs or suggestions?

4. Feb 15, 2014 at 4:33 PM
    Riverdog

Member:
    First Name:
    Collin
    Portland, OR
    Vehicle:
    '05 Double Cab PreRunner
    I'm leaning towards the Pioneer because of the three DACs, 16 band EQ, and all the audio adjustments available in it. However, I've always been a fan of Alpine more than Pioneer I really like the Siri control on the Alpine. And I'm sure the Alpine does some pretty good processing too. Initially I was going to say to go with the Alpine since you already have one, are used to the menus, etc. But this Pioneer seems like it would be pretty good; perhaps better than the Alpine. If it were me, it might be down to using each unit in the store and seeing which one functions better to me.

5. Feb 16, 2014 at 1:14 PM
    ZMan2k2

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    ‘Berta
    Vehicle:
    06 Rad Red DCLB SR5
    Well, I guess I know what I'm doing tomorrow. I'm going to a store that has both, and playing with the menus and such. Personally, I'm leaning towards the Pioneer, but I read through the Alpine manual just now, and it seems it could do what I need it as well. I already have the Alpine Ipod cable, so I could just use the setup I have now, with my old 3GS connected. Time to push buttons and see what I like better. Thanks Riverdog, anyone else using either of these units that can chime in?

6. Feb 16, 2014 at 3:22 PM
    Goose8651

Goose8651 Well-Known Member

Member:
    DFW
    Vehicle:
    2013 Double Cab
    I just installed the Alpine 149bt earlier this week and still finishing up the stereo install (thanks btw Riverdog for your help) , but so far I love it. The audio options are endless with the tuning through the head unit. Also, I am very impressed with the Bluetooth quality both music and phone calls.

7. Feb 16, 2014 at 3:46 PM
    ZMan2k2

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    ‘Berta
    Vehicle:
    06 Rad Red DCLB SR5
    Have you used the Tune It app from Alpine, or are you just tuning off the head unit? I'm curiuos how the app works.

8. Feb 16, 2014 at 3:57 PM
    CowboyTaco

CowboyTaco $20 is $20

Member:
    North Georgia
    Vehicle:
    11 TRD Sport
    Based on the title of this thread, anything that I suggest would not be PG rated ;).

9. Feb 16, 2014 at 4:00 PM
    Riverdog

Member:
    First Name:
    Collin
    Portland, OR
    Vehicle:
    '05 Double Cab PreRunner
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2014
  10. Feb 16, 2014 at 4:01 PM
    09dcsb

09dcsb Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    uvalde,tx
    Vehicle:
    09 dcsb
    maine truck rack, huskyliners, bhlm, marathon seat covers, camo ventvisors, k&n filter, lift and tires coming soon to a Tacoma near me
    What about a hall pass?

11. Feb 16, 2014 at 4:11 PM
    Goose8651

Member:
    DFW
    Vehicle:
    2013 Double Cab
    I downloaded the app, but I read some mixed reviews on it and did not really want to mess with it. Going to tune it myself as I could see myself at least changing it even more with the app.

12. Feb 16, 2014 at 4:25 PM
    Goose8651

Member:
    DFW
    Vehicle:
    2013 Double Cab
    I just played around with the app and I think the main technician at Alpine created a profile for a 2012 Tacoma double cab with aftermarket speakers, sub, and amp. I am going to try it out next time I am in the truck and see what it is like.

13. Feb 16, 2014 at 7:00 PM
    ZMan2k2

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    ‘Berta
    Vehicle:
    06 Rad Red DCLB SR5
    Wow. Thanks for all the info guys. I'm trying to keep what to ask for in the G section, so no hall pass here. The Alpine may be taking the lead here. I have to go press buttons tomorrow, to check these two out more closely.

14. Feb 16, 2014 at 9:56 PM
    DSMJRV

DSMJRV Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    justin
    Corona, CA
    keep ur head unit, buy a 4 channel amp + wiring kit and give your speakers some real power... the matchbox sixzed amp in headunits are sux...

15. Feb 17, 2014 at 1:52 AM
    Riverdog

Member:
    First Name:
    Collin
    Portland, OR
    Vehicle:
    '05 Double Cab PreRunner
    Yeah, I keep on going back and forth on which one I like better. Hopefully pushing buttons will help you pick one. Good luck!

16. Feb 17, 2014 at 7:31 AM
    ZMan2k2

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    ‘Berta
    Vehicle:
    06 Rad Red DCLB SR5
    I've got the Alpine Power Pack KTP-445U running in 2 channel mode for the front speakers, and I use the built in amp for the rear speakers. I keep it mostly faded forward, but my daughter has been complaining that all she hears is bass right now. That'll be worse when I install my ported box. So I use the built in amp for rear fill. Nothing more than that. The Alpine power pack powers the fronts pretty well. They are JL C5-250's that seem really happy with that power.

17. Feb 17, 2014 at 1:38 PM
    ZMan2k2

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    ‘Berta
    Vehicle:
    06 Rad Red DCLB SR5
    Well, I went to the stereo store today, and after much button pushing, salesman chatting, and playing with settings, I've decided on the Alpine. I'm a tweaker, and with the TuneIt app, I can tweak to my hearts' content. I'm literally the guy who will spend a half hour every day for a week, in the driveway tuning, messing with gains, tweaking time alignment, etc., just to get the perfect sound. With the Alpine, I can do that with my tablet, or right on the deck. I already have the USB run for my old 3GS in airplane mode, so Ipod integration is no issue. Alpine includes the BT mic for phone calls, Pioneer does not, and it's $40 less. Now I know what to ask for, now just an easy way to pass it by the wife, so she gets the one I want. :D

18. Feb 20, 2014 at 8:39 AM
    ike3000

ike3000 Well-Known Member

Member:
    I have the DEH-80PRS and really enjoy it. Not sure where you got your info from because mine came with a BT mic. The menu takes a little getting used to, but the audio adjustment capability is what really sold me on it. I run a two-way active with tweeters mounted in the a-pillars, so I needed something with adjustable crossovers and time delay. It appears the Alpine unit provides all of these functions, which is really cool.

I've always enjoyed Alpine head units. They give off great sound and are easy to use. I installed a W535HD in my wife's CRV and it sounds great. Only drawback is that it's insanely slow. I bought it with the intent of eventually moving it to my truck, but now I think I'll start looking at other double din options.

19. Feb 20, 2014 at 12:59 PM
    ZMan2k2

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    ‘Berta
    Vehicle:
    06 Rad Red DCLB SR5
    Well, I was taking the salesman's word for it. I thought it was weird that Alpine included it, and Pioneer didn't. Not that that had a huge factor in my decision. What really tipped me Alpines' way, was that I'm used to the menu structure, I've used Alpines' for 10+ years. It had a really neat tuning feature that I can use my tablet for, instead of digging through menus to find what I'm looking for, and just the overall feel of the two. I'm not used to Pioneer, and it's a steep learning curve for the PRS80, just because it does so much. I've dropped the hints though now, so I just have to wait for my anniversary for the icing on the cake.:D

20. Feb 21, 2014 at 9:30 AM
    ike3000

ike3000 Well-Known Member

Member:
    I completely understand. Go with what feels comfortable. This is my first Pioneer and it was a bit overwhelming at first. Had Alpine had something comparable at the time, then I would have gone with Alpine. Like you, I've always had Alpines and been happy.

Products Discussed in

To Top