1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

How processed is output signal from the touch screen head unit?

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by Babs, Feb 16, 2014.

1. Feb 16, 2014 at 9:04 PM
    Babs

Babs [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Asheville NC
    Vehicle:
    TRD V6 6spd
    Scratches preinstalled from original owner
    Just curious how much processing (eq etc) is present in the non-jbl non-nav touchscreen?

Is it a flat EQ 20hz-20khz signal ideally, or is it heavily EQ'd or not full 20-20k, or even worse add other phasing stuff like time alignment, etc that some OEM's like to do to their stock system head units?

Just got a 2013 TRD Sport Access Cab which appears to be all of four speakers.. Tweets and door mids. So I'm hoping the stock head unit has a relatively clean output. Contemplating upgrades after the head unit.. Deadening, processor, amps, drivers in door, sub. While I'm not a fan of speaker level outs, I could possibly sacrifice that if the signal is workable for an MS-8 maybe or similar.

Depending on how incorrupt the stock head unit's signal is, I could try keeping stock, otherwise, looking for an alternative.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2014
  2. Mar 27, 2014 at 8:39 PM
    Babs

Member:
    Asheville NC
    Vehicle:
    TRD V6 6spd
    Well. I suspect after driving her for a while the stock non nav unit in my TRDS has some time alignment already going on. If you lean toward the center you can her the drivers out of phase, then back at the drivers seat the stage appears to center up. I think they've got some DSP going on with the stock head unit big time along with EQing.

3. Mar 28, 2014 at 6:11 AM
    pcabinatan

pcabinatan Well-Known Member

Member:
    Avondale, Arizona
    K&N Intake, 35w 6K HID's, Plastidip badges
    There is a DSP of sorts in the audio menu that can be switched off. Normally with processors such as the MS-8, Bit.One or PS-8 they will take the signal and make it a flat un modified curve so you can adjust it yourself.
    Running a test CD and polaity tests on my TRDOR at least, I do not have any issues with phase alignment, with both stock 6x9's or Hybrid Audio Mirus 6.5's.

4. Mar 28, 2014 at 10:13 AM
    ike3000

ike3000 Well-Known Member

Member:
    It doesn't take much head movement to create phase issues in a car environment. Such a tightly closed room with reflective windows creates constructive and destructive interference all over the place. If I just turn my head towards the passenger's side I can hear phase cancellations.

Installation location and orientation is key to reducing the potential for phase interference. Many stock speaker locations don't lend well to achieving this end. Some people use reflections to their advantage to create a larger soundstage, however, it takes precise time/phase adjustments to get it sounding right.

5. Mar 28, 2014 at 11:13 AM
    Babs

Member:
    Asheville NC
    Vehicle:
    TRD V6 6spd
    Yeah my plan is to scavenge the MS-8 from my other car for this one when I build it, into a simple 5-ch setup. Adding a Pioneer 80PRS to the Civic which will free up the processor.

Hopefully the stock head unit at least puts out a fairly clean signal. I'm sure it's no DRZ-9255 or P99RS, but hopefully tolerable for a while until I break down and do a head unit/dash kit etc.

Those rather accomodating tweet locations make me think of considering Aura Whispers. Might be able to shoehorn some in. Otherwise, some NVX (SB Acoustics) tweets. Something that will put it out smoothly and reach lower. Got some Massive Audio RK6 comps unused on the shelf that aren't SQ comps really but the big door spots make me think of trying out the mids anyway to see how they go since I can probably easily get those big boys in there, after well treating the doors with CLD, CCF and MLV. But I digress.

Anyone ever measured these head units?

Gotta questionable RTA app or two on the iPhone I might check with some pink noise and see, as I don't have any better test equipment.

Products Discussed in

To Top