1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Did I wire my new HU/XM tuner right?

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by jzinckgra, Sep 30, 2007.

1. Sep 30, 2007 at 5:11 PM
    jzinckgra

jzinckgra [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma
    Hi. 1st post here. I have an 05 Taco and replaced the HU with a Pioneer 6900UB headunit and added the XM tuner box. I bought the wire harness and did all of the hookups and the HU works fine as does the XM tuner, but I am wondering if I should have spliced the 12V power line from the HU and XM tuner onto the 12V supply from the wireharness? So basically I used butt end wire crimps and spliced the 12V line from the wire harness to the HU 12 V yellow line. Then I realized I needed 12V power for the XM box and just tapped into the same 12V harness line again. Is this OK? Both the HU and tuuner box are fused seperately and I did the splicing before both fuses. Everything seems to work fine, but I I wasn't sure if this was the safest way. Should I have put the XM tuner 12V line into a fuse box instead?

2. Sep 30, 2007 at 6:06 PM
    Hotdog

Hotdog My hair is all natural Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Hotdog
    Vehicle:
    2007 PreRunner SR5 Double Cab
    Wet Okole Underwear
    If you actually needed more power, your fuse would be blowing. You're in the clear...nice and easy.

3. Sep 30, 2007 at 7:15 PM
    rhoppas

rhoppas Land of Oz

Member:
    Topeka, KS
    Vehicle:
    07 Double Cab V6 TRD Sport Tow
    Earnhardt Cannons, Terra Grapplers, Viper alarm, Hunter4x4 Bull Bar, 6" Pro Comp Off-Road lights, extra set of bed D-rings, Chrome exhaust tip, Metra Ipod/MP3 adapter, Garmin GPS, CarriageWorks grill, Maglite mounted to driver seat, 9" Stubbie Antenna, WeatherTech floor liners, Saddleman Neoprene seat covers, DeeZee bed mat
    Welcome to TW, jzinckgra. Your wiring method sounds fine. Post some pictures in the gallery section so we can see the finished product.

4. Sep 30, 2007 at 8:01 PM
    jzinckgra

jzinckgra [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma
    thanks. makes me feel a lot better.

5. Oct 4, 2007 at 5:08 PM
    Jesse

Jesse Well-Known Member

Member:
    The way you wired it is fine. If you decide to add an amplifier, I suggest you ground your new head unit's chasis to a good metal ground close to the unit.

Products Discussed in

To Top