Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Audio & Video

Notices

2014 Non JBL w/ navigation retrofit DIY w/ info & part numbers

Old 03-20-2014, 06:36 PM   #21
mjs12 is on a distinguished road
mjs12's Tacoma Gallery
I'll probably leave the AUX plug disconnected. I don't use it much and the factory one is there anyway. I was more concerned with getting the USB out of the glove box for a reasonable price.
Old 03-23-2014, 10:17 PM   #22
steveo27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteveo27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteveo27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteveo27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteveo27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteveo27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteveo27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteveo27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteveo27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteveo27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteveo27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steveo
steveo27's Tacoma Gallery
Mine should be here tomorrow, then I'll update

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbconvert View Post
I'm pretty sure I saw someone on these forums that confirmed it does fit in the blanks next to the power outlet. My only question is how do you plan to wire the aux jack. The factory one has an extra wire. I'm not exactly sure what the wire is for except maybe its a signal wire that tells the head unit if an aux plug has been connected to the jack
I plan on just removing the OEM one from the dashboard and leaving sit behind the dashboard where I'll plug the new one into. That way, I won't have to cut anything.
Old 03-23-2014, 10:20 PM   #23
SoCal Tacomas
Jerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Roderick
Jerez's Tacoma Gallery
nice thread sir!!
Old 03-23-2014, 10:58 PM   #24
steveo27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteveo27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteveo27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteveo27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteveo27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteveo27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteveo27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteveo27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteveo27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteveo27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteveo27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerez View Post
nice thread sir!!
Thanks! Couldnt have done it without your help :beer:
Old 03-24-2014, 10:17 AM   #25
tony2018 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtony2018 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtony2018 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtony2018 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtony2018 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtony2018 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtony2018 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtony2018 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtony2018 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtony2018 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtony2018 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
tony2018's Tacoma Gallery
So the backup camera needs to be wired to a 24 pin plug and not the 28 pin plug?
Old 03-24-2014, 07:01 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony2018 View Post
So the backup camera needs to be wired to a 24 pin plug and not the 28 pin plug?
From what I understand, yes. I cannot verify this as I have yet to find a pinout of a 2014 radio.
Old 03-25-2014, 06:26 AM   #27
JustinL is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustinL is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustinL is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustinL is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustinL is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustinL is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustinL is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustinL is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustinL is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustinL is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustinL is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Justin
JustinL's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveo27 View Post

Navigation antenna -

Part number - 86860-0C010. I purchased mine from FLtrucks, as he had the best price on them. This antenna picks up the signal for the navigation.
Do you remember how much you got the antenna for? I'm searching and coming up with results in the $268 range
Old 03-25-2014, 03:14 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinL View Post
Do you remember how much you got the antenna for? I'm searching and coming up with results in the $268 range
PM FLtrucks, he has them way cheaper.
Old 03-25-2014, 04:11 PM   #29
mjs12 is on a distinguished road
mjs12's Tacoma Gallery
Where did you end up installing the GPS antenna? I've seem a few people install it under the dash an a few on the dash. It looks like there's a couple clips on the antenna cable....did you find a place to attach those?
Old 03-26-2014, 07:33 AM   #30
tony2018 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtony2018 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtony2018 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtony2018 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtony2018 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtony2018 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtony2018 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtony2018 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtony2018 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtony2018 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtony2018 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveo27 View Post
From what I understand, yes. I cannot verify this as I have yet to find a pinout of a 2014 radio.
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/aud...ml#post8299654

Go there and you'll find a diagram. I can't test it yet because I haven't received my unit or backup camera. It looks like the backup camera goes to the 28 pin connector
Old 03-26-2014, 07:37 AM   #31
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjs12 View Post
Where did you end up installing the GPS antenna? I've seem a few people install it under the dash an a few on the dash. It looks like there's a couple clips on the antenna cable....did you find a place to attach those?
Since the cable is short its sure to assume that it was mounted right behind/above the head unit.
Old 03-26-2014, 09:16 AM   #32
MudFlap is a splendid one to beholdMudFlap is a splendid one to beholdMudFlap is a splendid one to beholdMudFlap is a splendid one to beholdMudFlap is a splendid one to beholdMudFlap is a splendid one to beholdMudFlap is a splendid one to behold

Name: Tim
MudFlap's Tacoma Gallery
I am doing my research getting ready to install this 2014 Nav unit and right now my main concern is the XM part.

I did buy the XM extension box (part # 86180-0e011), I am wondering where this part mounts. I pulled the radio out of my 2012 yesterday and there was no extra things mounted to it, so its got me wondering where the XM module is currently mounted or if its built into my radio. I know I have XM cause its all I ever listen to in my truck. I just dont know anything about it. If the XM extension box that I ordered is supposed to mount to the Nav unit by the bracket, will it still fit my dash? Am I supposed to find my current XM tuner somewhere in my truck and REPLACE it with the new one that I ordered? Can you guys offer any input on this?
Old 03-26-2014, 10:02 AM   #33
JustinL is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustinL is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustinL is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustinL is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustinL is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustinL is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustinL is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustinL is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustinL is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustinL is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustinL is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Justin
JustinL's Tacoma Gallery
Tim,
Does it mount below the head unit via brackets?
Old 03-26-2014, 10:13 AM   #34
Quote:
Originally Posted by MudFlap View Post
I am doing my research getting ready to install this 2014 Nav unit and right now my main concern is the XM part.

I did buy the XM extension box (part # 86180-0e011), I am wondering where this part mounts. I pulled the radio out of my 2012 yesterday and there was no extra things mounted to it, so its got me wondering where the XM module is currently mounted or if its built into my radio. I know I have XM cause its all I ever listen to in my truck. I just dont know anything about it. If the XM extension box that I ordered is supposed to mount to the Nav unit by the bracket, will it still fit my dash? Am I supposed to find my current XM tuner somewhere in my truck and REPLACE it with the new one that I ordered? Can you guys offer any input on this?

Judging by the pictures of what I'm seeing on ebay they all look the same. All you need to do is just plug everything into the new head unit and you should be good to go since you're pre-wired. I would wait on ordering anything since you already have xm radio and see how the new unit plugs up.
Old 03-26-2014, 11:03 AM   #35
MudFlap is a splendid one to beholdMudFlap is a splendid one to beholdMudFlap is a splendid one to beholdMudFlap is a splendid one to beholdMudFlap is a splendid one to beholdMudFlap is a splendid one to beholdMudFlap is a splendid one to behold

MudFlap's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinL View Post
Tim,
Does it mount below the head unit via brackets?
There is nothing mounted below my head unit now. This is what my radio looks like. These are just random pics I pulled off a google search but they look exactly like whats mounted in my truck. witch leads me to believe that either my XM tuner is mounted somewhere else in the cab or its built into the head unit itself.

2014 Non JBL w/ navigation retrofit DIY w/ info & part numbers-toyota-tacoma-2012-1280-15.jpg

2014 Non JBL w/ navigation retrofit DIY w/ info & part numbers-ad3748fb-16b7-f926.jpg
Old 03-26-2014, 12:28 PM   #36

MudFlap's Tacoma Gallery
I just went out and pulled my radio again just to get the model number off of it to try to do some google searching on it. I got this pic and googled the model number but I can't find any specs on it to tell if the XM is built into it or not. Maybe somebody here knows how to google better than me......

2014 Non JBL w/ navigation retrofit DIY w/ info & part numbers-20140326_140547.jpg
Old 03-26-2014, 12:35 PM   #37
It might be built into the head unit. If you bought the navi headunit I would plug in the antenna to the back and see if xm radio comes on for you.
Old 03-26-2014, 08:18 PM   #38

UPDATE -

OEM looking aftermarket USB/AUX plug showed up on monday and I got it installed -

I'll update the original post at some point with all the info

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjs12 View Post
Its just tucked up under the dash

Quote:
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/aud...ml#post8299654

Go there and you'll find a diagram. I can't test it yet because I haven't received my unit or backup camera. It looks like the backup camera goes to the 28 pin connector
Awesome. thanks!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MudFlap View Post
Can you guys offer any input on this?
It mounts below the radio. You can kinda see it here in this picture -

It has the black plug, the 2 white plugs, and the brown plug. It bolts to the side brackets.
Old 03-27-2014, 06:27 AM   #39
So you're saying the navi requires that unit to get xm stations? Isn't there a port for the satellite radio on the back of the navi unit?
Old 03-27-2014, 09:20 AM   #40

MudFlap's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
So you're saying the navi requires that unit to get xm stations? Isn't there a port for the satellite radio on the back of the navi unit?

Tony, MY understanding is that there IS an XM port on the radio. The only thing is the plug is specific to 2014 models and in the external XM box is needed to retrofit into earlier models. I COULD be wrong but this is the way I understand it at the moment.

My Nav unit is supposed to be delivered today and I cant WAIT to get that thing in there!