Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Audio & Video

Notices

2014 Non JBL w/ navigation retrofit DIY w/ info & part numbers

Old 03-27-2014, 11:03 AM   #41
tony2018 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtony2018 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtony2018 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtony2018 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtony2018 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtony2018 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtony2018 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtony2018 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtony2018 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtony2018 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtony2018 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
tony2018's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MudFlap View Post
Tony, MY understanding is that there IS an XM port on the radio. The only thing is the plug is specific to 2014 models and in the external XM box is needed to retrofit into earlier models. I COULD be wrong but this is the way I understand it at the moment.

My Nav unit is supposed to be delivered today and I cant WAIT to get that thing in there!
If you have the navi unit i say plug the antenna to it and see if you're able to access the xm radio through the screen. If your old radio had it built in I'm sure the navi unit does as well. Judging by the pics on the first page it shows an antenna port for satellite.

Edit: I was wrong you do need the xm module,.
Old 03-28-2014, 11:08 AM   #42
MudFlap is a splendid one to beholdMudFlap is a splendid one to beholdMudFlap is a splendid one to beholdMudFlap is a splendid one to beholdMudFlap is a splendid one to beholdMudFlap is a splendid one to beholdMudFlap is a splendid one to behold

Name: Tim
MudFlap's Tacoma Gallery
Well I got it mostly installed, just waiting on the mail to drop off the 20/28 pin harness. I have been messing with the Nav and programming my XM stations witch makes me think..... I never called XM to swap my subscription over but yet its working anyway

Also the nav got my general location fairly quick, problem is the nav map wont move with me. I programmed in my home address and it showed the location on the map but It also sho wed my location like a couple hundred yards away. I have been for a couple 10 min drives to see if it would pick up and catch on but the map stays put. I tried to navigate to a random POI in the list and it tells me to drive to the highlighted route but no matter how I drive it wont GO to the highlighted route. Guess I got more fiddling around to do.
Old 03-28-2014, 11:50 AM   #43
mjs12 is on a distinguished road
mjs12's Tacoma Gallery
I'm not positive...... but I think the 20/28 connector is where the speed wire is. So the Nav may not know your moving until that last connection is made.
Old 03-28-2014, 02:19 PM   #44
MudFlap is a splendid one to beholdMudFlap is a splendid one to beholdMudFlap is a splendid one to beholdMudFlap is a splendid one to beholdMudFlap is a splendid one to beholdMudFlap is a splendid one to beholdMudFlap is a splendid one to behold

MudFlap's Tacoma Gallery
Well mail man didnt drop off the harness like I expected He did however drop off the antenna adapter..... Whats with the blue wire hanging off it? Am I supposed to ground it somewhere? I called camelback toyota about my harness cause I never got an shipping email about it. Was told that it shipped out yesterday. So its scheduled to be here April 1st, too bad im leaving the country for 2 weeks on March 31st. Anyway, I still got everything cept the steering wheel controls, and bluetooth... I still have my XM so I guess I'll live.

Update on the Nav too...... I had to run an errand a little while ago and the Nav map just POPPED into acting right, found my position and followed me right on down the road. So thats working right too.... Overall, Im a happy camper.

As soon as I get back from Thailand in the middle of next month im gonna start picking yalls brains to get my USB/Aux working and maybe even get my back up cam in the Nav screen too.
Old 03-28-2014, 06:43 PM   #45
steveo27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteveo27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteveo27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteveo27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteveo27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteveo27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteveo27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteveo27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteveo27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteveo27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteveo27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steveo
steveo27's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjs12 View Post
I'm not positive...... but I think the 20/28 connector is where the speed wire is. So the Nav may not know your moving until that last connection is made.
Yes. speed sensor is in there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony2018 View Post
If you have the navi unit i say plug the antenna to it and see if you're able to access the xm radio through the screen. If your old radio had it built in I'm sure the navi unit does as well. Judging by the pics on the first page it shows an antenna port for satellite.

Edit: I was wrong you do need the xm module,.
XM module is separate as stated before.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MudFlap View Post
Well mail man didnt drop off the harness like I expected He did however drop off the antenna adapter..... Whats with the blue wire hanging off it? Am I supposed to ground it somewhere? im gonna start picking yalls brains to get my USB/Aux working and maybe even get my back up cam in the Nav screen too.

Blue wire is a trigger for a power antenna. I depin'd mine.

USB is easy. info is on the first page. Aux port is plug and play with the 20/28 pin adapter.

All the info for all this is posted in my first post.
Old 03-28-2014, 08:23 PM   #46
JustinL is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustinL is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustinL is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustinL is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustinL is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustinL is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustinL is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustinL is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustinL is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustinL is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustinL is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Justin
JustinL's Tacoma Gallery
Just got my Nav today. Came with the Nav antenna

Ordering the harnesses tonight. Hopefully I can find a spare center dash piece to hack up. A 2012+ piece would be perfect.
Old 03-29-2014, 02:02 PM   #47
JustinL is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustinL is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustinL is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustinL is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustinL is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustinL is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustinL is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustinL is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustinL is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustinL is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustinL is one of the sharper tools in the shed

JustinL's Tacoma Gallery
An update for part numbers...

Since my radio came with the bezel and I have an 09, my current hazard switch/clock/airbag display will not fit. I checked Camel Back Toyota and they list it for $199 part number: 84332-04100

I thought about going the 2012+ bezel to match the new radio, but there appears to be 6 different part numbers. This would also mean I would have to find a 4x4 selector switch since my 09 appears to be different so I axed that idea. However, for those of you with a Pre-Runner this can still be done since you don't have to worry about a 4x4 dial. Part numbers on the bezel:
55412-04070 w/o X-Runner w/SR5 package
55405-04070 w/o X-Runner w/SR5 package
55405-04100 w/o X-Runner w/o SR5 package
55412-04100 w/o X-Runner w/o SR5 package
55412-04080 w/X-Runner
55405-04080 w/X-Runner

I ended up getting an 09 bezel (spare to cut up for the new radio to fit snug) and a 2013 hazard button/clock/airbag display from a salvage yard for $100 total. If you plan to go the salvage yard route make sure you talk to someone on the phone. When I was still trying to find a 2012+ bezel I had a guy on the phone swearing the 07 bezel he had was the same thing and he almost sold it to me. Some salvage yards know something will fit and that's all. I ended up explaining to him how the 05-11 and 2012-14 are different. Saved money there!

Hope this helps.
Old 03-29-2014, 02:53 PM   #48
SoCal Tacomas
Jerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Roderick
Jerez's Tacoma Gallery
My 08 clock bezel fit and my 09 bezel fit on the radio...
Old 03-29-2014, 02:58 PM   #49
steveo27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteveo27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteveo27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteveo27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteveo27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteveo27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteveo27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteveo27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteveo27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteveo27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteveo27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

:thumbup:
Old 03-30-2014, 07:52 AM   #50

JustinL's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerez View Post
My 08 clock bezel fit and my 09 bezel fit on the radio...
Y'know...I'm just trying to be proactive here and I get shit on! LOL. I'm debating on doing the rewiring of the steering wheel for the BT controls or just leaving it as is.
Old 03-30-2014, 12:15 PM   #51

MudFlap's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinL View Post
Y'know...I'm just trying to be proactive here and I get shit on! LOL. I'm debating on doing the rewiring of the steering wheel for the BT controls or just leaving it as is.

There was a guy on here on TW a few days ago parting out a 2012.... was selling the steering wheel with controls on for 75 bucks. Hang on Ill see if I can find that for ya.

Sweet! Only took me about 30 secs to locate it!
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...prerunner.html
Old 04-05-2014, 01:49 PM   #52
tony2018 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtony2018 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtony2018 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtony2018 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtony2018 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtony2018 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtony2018 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtony2018 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtony2018 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtony2018 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtony2018 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
I wanna correct one of my posts and say yes you do need the 24pin connnector for the rear view camera, also I posted a link to a diagam and totally mistaken both connectors to be the same when they weren't, my bad.
Old 04-05-2014, 01:51 PM   #53
SoCal Tacomas
Jerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Roderick
Jerez's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinL View Post
lol i was just saying cuz paying an extra $222 for just the clock portion is a bit some people wont want to pay
Old 04-07-2014, 07:49 PM   #54

JustinL's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerez View Post
lol i was just saying cuz paying an extra $222 for just the clock portion is a bit some people wont want to pay
Oh I know! I jumped the gun on that - but I ended up getting one for just $20 so I guess it's not too bad right? Still waiting on these harnesses to come in. Painting my spare bezel starting this week too. The dremel wasn't too bad after all. Just glad I have a spare (easier to do outside the truck)
Old 04-08-2014, 07:23 AM   #55

Yep. Trimming it is cake. I used a cutoff wheel on a 4" angle grinder and had it done in no time.

Im glad this DIY is helping people out

:beer:
Old 04-08-2014, 08:02 AM   #56
It works if you work it.
fbconvert has a brilliant futurefbconvert has a brilliant futurefbconvert has a brilliant futurefbconvert has a brilliant futurefbconvert has a brilliant futurefbconvert has a brilliant futurefbconvert has a brilliant futurefbconvert has a brilliant futurefbconvert has a brilliant futurefbconvert has a brilliant futurefbconvert has a brilliant future

Name: Brian
fbconvert's Tacoma Gallery
I used an oscillating multi-tool to trim mine and it was a piece of cake.

I prefer something like this over a dermal or a angle grinder. They're super forgiving and handing to have around the house and harbor freight has them for around $20. But I will say you get what you pay for when it comes to powertools from harbor freight.
Old 04-11-2014, 11:55 AM   #57

JustinL's Tacoma Gallery
Be careful when buying the ebay USB adapter... there are 2 versions for the side of the cord that plugs into the back of the head unit: male and female. You want male... I almost bought the wrong one!

Old 04-12-2014, 04:57 AM   #58
manthony67 is on a distinguished road
Name: Mike
manthony67's Tacoma Gallery
20/28 pin harness adapter

will the 20/28 pin harness adapter part number - PT546-00120-CH you mention in this thread work to connect the 2014 head unit to an 07 wiring Harness? These mod sounds great , I do have the head unit and would like to hook up the blue tooth mic, aux plug etc. But do not want to buy these harnesses if the 07 wiring harness is different than an 2011.
Old 04-12-2014, 07:06 AM   #59
Quote:
Originally Posted by manthony67 View Post
will the 20/28 pin harness adapter part number - PT546-00120-CH you mention in this thread work to connect the 2014 head unit to an 07 wiring Harness? These mod sounds great , I do have the head unit and would like to hook up the blue tooth mic, aux plug etc. But do not want to buy these harnesses if the 07 wiring harness is different than an 2011.
Yes, I can confirm this for you.
Old 04-13-2014, 05:50 PM   #60

I believe all '05-'11 non JBL stuff should be the same.

UPDATE - My 24 pin plug and pins showed up this weekend. I'll try to sort the camera out this week if I get a chance.

On a side note, we took a fishing trip up to the mountain this weekend and the GPS worked flawlessly getting around from stream to stream.