1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Installing Subwoofer and Amp Set-Up

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by DirtyDTaco, Mar 4, 2014.

1. Mar 8, 2014 at 5:07 AM
    AEmedic

AEmedic Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Boise, ID
    Vehicle:
    2014 DCLB 4X4 TRD Sport Supercharged
    TRD Supercharger, Toytec Adj. Coil-Overs, Bilstein 5100's, JL Audio system w/Kenwood DNX9980HD HU
    I used the rear seat bolt in my DCLB. I made sure to send the area down to bare metal and it seems to work very well, no noise at all.

2. Mar 8, 2014 at 6:11 AM
    DirtyDTaco

DirtyDTaco [OP] Talk slow, shoot fast.

Member:
    First Name:
    Matthew
    Mississippi
    Vehicle:
    '00 XtraCab 4x4 3.4L V6 5-Speed, 240K miles
    Polk 6.5" Coaxial Door Speakers, Pioneer DEH-X6500BT Head Unit, Black Bed-Lined Badges, 15% Tint, JL Audio 10" BassWedge, Alpine 500w Mono Amp
    Yeah I was gonna be sure to sand it down to bare metal

3. Mar 10, 2014 at 8:12 AM
    looking4vr

looking4vr Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brad
    Lusby, MD
    Vehicle:
    17 DCSB TRD OffRoad 6MT
    Bone Stock, for now
    In the rear of the truck that's perfect - the bolt goes straight to chassis ground in the rear seat area.

That should work - although a question I have for both is what ring terminal you used to get around that giant 14mm bolt?

4. Mar 10, 2014 at 3:36 PM
    DirtyDTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Matthew
    Mississippi
    Vehicle:
    Polk 6.5" Coaxial Door Speakers, Pioneer DEH-X6500BT Head Unit, Black Bed-Lined Badges, 15% Tint, JL Audio 10" BassWedge, Alpine 500w Mono Amp

Well technically since mine is 1st gen xtracab, it's the front seats.. Rear bolt. And I guess I haven't thought of that ha. Guess I'll look at work tomorrow for a huge terminal.

5. Mar 11, 2014 at 5:32 AM
    looking4vr

looking4vr Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brad
    Lusby, MD
    Vehicle:
    17 DCSB TRD OffRoad 6MT
    Bone Stock, for now
    This is how I did mine - still have to spray some undercoating on the bottom side to weatherproof the bolt, washer and nut underneath but it's as close to perfect as you'll reasonably get. Total length on the ground wire is 1'.

[​IMG]

This is just behind the front seat - front bolt raised area.

[​IMG]

Again, you can't really go wrong using the rear seat bolt but you very well may have trouble finding a ring terminal to fit your wire and the bolt hole diameter as well.

[​IMG]

6. Mar 11, 2014 at 5:49 AM
    DirtyDTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Matthew
    Mississippi
    Vehicle:
    Thanks man you've been a huge help. My stuff should be here Thursday so I'll probably start working on it soon thereafter

7. Mar 11, 2014 at 6:42 AM
    jeremy_283

jeremy_283 Super Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Offroad Access Cab 4x4 Auto 4.0L
    Hella Rallye 4000 Cornering Lights PIAA 510 Fog Lights All Pro Front Bumper All Pro Rear Bumper All Pro Transfer Case Skid All Pro IFS Skid All Pro Rock Sliders All Pro High Clearance Hitch OME Dakar Leaf Springs OME Rear Shocks OME Front Shocks OME 885 Front Coils Wet Okole Seat Covers WeatherTech Floor Liners Sony Head Unit JL XD600/1 Amp 2 JL Audio 10” Subwoofers Custom Subwoofer Enclosure Kenwood Front Speakers Sony Rear Speakers Sound Deadening Mats LED Interior Lighting Pop N’ Lock Tailgate Lock Viper Alarm System Extra D-Rings In Truck Bed Maglite Seat Mount Disable Seatbelt Chime Rear Differential Breather Relocation Hi-Lift Bed Mount Flexible Front Mud Flaps 110v Inverter Always At 400w ABS Kill Switch Locking Center Console Removed Sway Bar
    I ran some of my wires through the passenger door area and some through the center console area. With my first setup I used the seat attachment area for a ground and on the second setup (redid my system) I grounded on a bolt in the center console area. The wiring will be pretty easy. Just make sure you tune the amp correctly (which is rather easy). Some wait till the subs distort and others use a multimeter. I followed my JL Audio Amp instruction booklet and tuned using a multimeter. If you choose the multimeter route and you don't have one you can purchase one pretty cheap with all the money you are saving by doing it yourself.

I used intructions from online to set up all my stuff.

How are you mounting your sub box? Will it sit in the floor downfiring directly behind the passenger seat? I have a similar setup but with two subwoofers (one in the floor behind each seat)

8. Mar 11, 2014 at 8:11 AM
    DirtyDTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Matthew
    Mississippi
    Vehicle:
    I can't find any 14mm ring terminals so I'm just gonna use a 1/2" terminal and drill it out a tad. Should be fine.

My sub is just going to be firing towards the front, mounting it on my back seat. It will fit perfectly there.

Products Discussed in

To Top