Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Audio & Video

Notices

Line Out Converter Help needed- which harness wires to tap?

Old 03-15-2014, 12:54 AM   #21
Jwheeler is on a distinguished road

Name: Josh
Jwheeler's Tacoma Gallery
Well I'm about to tackle a bit more complex loc either this weekend or next just got my audio control dq-61 today and have the itch to install everything. I will try to remember to take pics a write about it when I do it. Bye bye crappy sound!! You won't be missed!
Old 03-23-2014, 05:07 AM   #22
deadbird8 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeadbird8 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeadbird8 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeadbird8 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeadbird8 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeadbird8 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeadbird8 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeadbird8 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeadbird8 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeadbird8 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeadbird8 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Army:
deadbird8's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by looking4vr View Post
*EDIT 03/14/2014 - Added wiring diagram*

*EDIT - just cross referenced - if you have a standard audio system 2005-2014 (or NON JBL) this information will be correct*

If you have a NON amplified factory system you can use the following (provided your dash plugs are the same) ...
So for a 2014 non-JBL system would wiring harness adapters like the Best Kits BHA1761 and BHO1761 allow me to add upgrades with the Entune HU without having to modify the OEM wiring harness?
Old 03-23-2014, 11:10 AM   #23
looking4vr is a jewel in the roughlooking4vr is a jewel in the roughlooking4vr is a jewel in the rough

Name: Brad
looking4vr's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by deadbird8 View Post
So for a 2014 non-JBL system would wiring harness adapters like the Best Kits BHA1761 and BHO1761 allow me to add upgrades with the Entune HU without having to modify the OEM wiring harness?
That is 100% correct.
Old 03-25-2014, 12:08 AM   #24
616tacoma is on a distinguished road
Name: Chris
616tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
*EDIT 03/14/2014 - Added wiring diagram*

*EDIT - just cross referenced - if you have a standard audio system 2005-2014 (or NON JBL) this information will be correct*

If you have a NON amplified factory system you can use the following (provided your dash plugs are the same)

So your pinout would be:
Left Front + = Pink
Left Front - = Purple
Right Front + = Green
Right Front - = Blue
Left Rear + = Black
Left Rear - = Yellow
Right Rear + = Red
Right Rear - = White

Hope this helps...is the system a JBL system?

Which one is the 12v power and ground wire?
Pin D and pin G?
Old 03-25-2014, 05:31 AM   #25
looking4vr is a jewel in the roughlooking4vr is a jewel in the roughlooking4vr is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by 616tacoma View Post
Which one is the 12v power and ground wire?
Pin D and pin G?
That's correct....is this for powering an accessory? They should NEVER be used to power anything that draws any serious current! Anything 4-5 amps and lower "should" be OK but anything higher and you should be grounding to chassis near the component and taking the power source with a fused wire directly from the battery.
Old 03-25-2014, 01:02 PM   #26
616tacoma is on a distinguished road
Name: Chris
616tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
That's correct....is this for powering an accessory? They should NEVER be used to power anything that draws any serious current! Anything 4-5 amps and lower "should" be OK but anything higher and you should be grounding to chassis near the component and taking the power source with a fused wire directly from the battery.
Thanks man it's to power my loc with turn on lead
Old 03-25-2014, 02:28 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by 616tacoma View Post
Thanks man it's to power my loc with turn on lead
Roger that. You're good to go.
Old 03-29-2014, 08:30 AM   #28
deadbird8 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeadbird8 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeadbird8 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeadbird8 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeadbird8 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeadbird8 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeadbird8 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeadbird8 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeadbird8 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeadbird8 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeadbird8 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Army:
Quote:
Roger that. You're good to go.
Does that 12V power anything else? I am planning to power a LOC which only has a 1A power draw. I can run a fused link all the way to the battery, but that seems like overkill for such low power draw. If I used that 12V off the radio harness do I just 'T' into it?
Old 04-21-2014, 10:29 AM   #29
skootx is on a distinguished road

skootx's Tacoma Gallery
So for a 2014 Entune, I'd use H and I as the remote turn on to turn on an amplifier? What does it mean to "join wires 1 and 2 to the blue wire?"
Old 04-22-2014, 10:01 AM   #30
double_b is one of the sharper tools in the sheddouble_b is one of the sharper tools in the sheddouble_b is one of the sharper tools in the sheddouble_b is one of the sharper tools in the sheddouble_b is one of the sharper tools in the sheddouble_b is one of the sharper tools in the sheddouble_b is one of the sharper tools in the sheddouble_b is one of the sharper tools in the sheddouble_b is one of the sharper tools in the sheddouble_b is one of the sharper tools in the sheddouble_b is one of the sharper tools in the shed
double_b's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
That is 100% correct.
Subbing for this info because eventually I will be upgrading everything except the HU
Old 04-23-2014, 05:34 AM   #31
Army:
Quote:
Originally Posted by skootx View Post
So for a 2014 Entune, I'd use H and I as the remote turn on to turn on an amplifier? What does it mean to "join wires 1 and 2 to the blue wire?"
The blue Pwr Ant wires on the harness have a jumper at the connector on the back of the radio that connects those two wires (H and I) together.

I just installed a LOC, 4 ch Amp and replaced speakers connected to my 2014 OEM Entune Head Unit. The LOC takes the Head Unit amplified signals and converts to a pre-Amp signal. My LOC is an Audio Control LCQ-1 which is basically a LCi6 with integrated equalizer.

I used Metra male and female Toyota OEM audio connectors so I didn't have to tap into the stock harness for install, extending the Power (D), Ground (G), Pwr Ant (H/I) and Speaker wires to my LOC under the front seat. I then ran another wire from the LOC Remote Out into the Amp's Remote In to turn it on.

I am replacing the LCQ-1 as soon as possible. Although there is no distortion in the system. The stock head unit produces a hiss that once you install an amp, you can hear when you put a CD on pause or have the system at low volume. With the Audio Control unit installed, the hiss is really bad and can only be tuned out by taking down the gain on the LOC or turning the Amp gain way down. I was at a shop today where they were checking it out. They installed Audison SLI-2's in place of the LCQ-1 and it cut the hiss down by half to tolerable level without changing any settings on the amp. The LCQ-1 is just adding to the problem.
Old 05-18-2014, 08:04 PM   #33
AiNoFaKNKeA is just really niceAiNoFaKNKeA is just really niceAiNoFaKNKeA is just really niceAiNoFaKNKeA is just really niceAiNoFaKNKeA is just really nice
Army: Aviation
Name: Mike
AiNoFaKNKeA's Tacoma Gallery
How do wire an amp for a sub on a '14 non-jbl system that has no oem sub, meaning where do I get the sub signal from? Planning on keeping the factory unit and using an Audio Control LC6i.
Old 05-19-2014, 05:42 AM   #34
Army:
Quote:
Originally Posted by AiNoFaKNKeA View Post
How do wire an amp for a sub on a '14 non-jbl system that has no oem sub, meaning where do I get the sub signal from? Planning on keeping the factory unit and using an Audio Control LC6i.
You'll have to find a device that will sum the inputs to produce a sub output. The LC6i is supposed to do that- you wire in the front and back from the HU and it will sum one of those inputs to produce a 3rd RCA output to feed the amp for the sub.

Just FYI- I didn't have good luck with the Audio Control components (LCQ-1 which is basically an LC6i with equalizer). When hooked up to the stock HU it produced a hiss which I couldn't tune out (tried everything AC suggested, they have had problems with both Toyota and Volkswagen systems with this issue). At a shop we replaced the LCQ-1 with a passive LOC from Audison (SLI-2 I think) and it cut the noise by more than half so the AC component was definitely making it worse. I replaced the LCQ-1 with an Audison Bit Ten processor and am much happier with the system.
Old 05-19-2014, 09:25 AM   #35

skootx's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I used Metra male and female Toyota OEM audio connectors[/COLOR]
Do you have a link or part#? I looked on Metra's site and the only harness adapters I found are just for speakers.
Old 05-19-2014, 10:40 AM   #36
AiNoFaKNKeA is just really niceAiNoFaKNKeA is just really niceAiNoFaKNKeA is just really niceAiNoFaKNKeA is just really niceAiNoFaKNKeA is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by skootx View Post
Do you have a link or part#? I looked on Metra's site and the only harness adapters I found are just for speakers.
It should have two connectors in one set, as the speakers are split to two different connectors. The part #'s are 70-1761 and 71-1761.
Old 05-19-2014, 11:14 AM   #37
Quote:
You'll have to find a device that will sum the inputs to produce a sub output. The LC6i is supposed to do that- you wire in the front and back from the HU and it will sum one of those inputs to produce a 3rd RCA output to feed the amp for the sub.

Just FYI- I didn't have good luck with the Audio Control components (LCQ-1 which is basically an LC6i with equalizer). When hooked up to the stock HU it produced a hiss which I couldn't tune out (tried everything AC suggested, they have had problems with both Toyota and Volkswagen systems with this issue). At a shop we replaced the LCQ-1 with a passive LOC from Audison (SLI-2 I think) and it cut the noise by more than half so the AC component was definitely making it worse. I replaced the LCQ-1 with an Audison Bit Ten processor and am much happier with the system.
Do you still have the hissing noise with the Audison Bit Ten?

Does anyone else have the same problem with with LC6i, as it is something that I planned on using?
Old 05-20-2014, 05:47 AM   #38
Army:
Quote:
It should have two connectors in one set, as the speakers are split to two different connectors. The part #'s are 70-1761 and 71-1761.
Those are the ones (each is a set of 2 connectors), one set is female which plugs into the head unit and one set is male which plugs into the harness. You tap the wires in between.

Quote:
Do you still have the hissing noise with the Audison Bit Ten?

Does anyone else have the same problem with with LC6i, as it is something that I planned on using?
The hiss is originally produced from the stock head unit- its a 'feature' that came with the truck. I can plug an iPod into the RCAs on my amp and the signal is flawless so we confirmed its upstream from the amp. Since the gains are very low with the stock system, you can't hear the hiss as its masked in the noise floor. You can eliminate it all together by replacing the stock head unit (which a lot of people recommend on here).

Now compared to the stock system and speakers, with either the LOC or Processor, amp, and replacing the OEM speakers was a night and day difference in the overall audio. The Bit Ten is more configurable than the AC (you set it up with a lap top plugged into the unit) and you can lower the channel gain on it to really reduce the hiss but turn the amp gains up to compensate without retarding the system. The noise is still there but at a much lower level that you have to really listen for it (especially with the truck running).

With the LCQ-1 installed, the hiss got much worse. I could really reduce the noise by turning down the Output Levels on the LCQ-1 to ~50% but it retarded the overall system sound output. I could also tone it down by adjusting (-) the 8kHz equalizer setting but that made the music sound like crap. What made me scrap the AC unit was when we set up the system at an audio shop and swapped the LCQ-1 with a high quality passive LOC and the hiss was immediately cut by more than half so we knew the noise was coming from the stock HU and the AC unit was adding to the problem. I went back and forth with Audio Control (who was very helpful) and tried every jumper setting etc... but just put it up on Craigslist in the end.

I found a lot of information about the hiss after the fact when I was trying to tune it out. On this forum, Tundra sites, Prius sites, DIY Audio, etc.... Example, here is a post from just this week:

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/audio-video/247641-audio-control-lc6i-2.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by savage View Post
I have hooked up an LC7i in a 2013 Tacoma (non JBL).

I am getting alot of white noise when I barely turn up the Output level. Its highly distracting.

Any thoughts on what I can do?
Seems a lot of people just turn up the volume and live with it as the overall system performance is 100% better than the stock setup, but the hiss was very distracting to me and especially noticeable when you put a CD or iPod on Pause. It just drove me nuts.

Maybe others will chime in as well. Whatever you end up doing, good luck with your decision.
Old 05-28-2014, 07:20 PM   #39

skootx's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

So your pinout would be:
Left Front + = Pink
Left Front - = Purple
Right Front + = Green
Right Front - = Blue
Left Rear + = Black
Left Rear - = Yellow
Right Rear + = Red
Right Rear - = White

Is this the correct jack to tap from? 2014 Entune with nav, no JBL.

Old 05-29-2014, 08:09 AM   #40
weendoggy has much to be proud ofweendoggy has much to be proud ofweendoggy has much to be proud ofweendoggy has much to be proud ofweendoggy has much to be proud ofweendoggy has much to be proud ofweendoggy has much to be proud ofweendoggy has much to be proud ofweendoggy has much to be proud of
weendoggy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
This is correct. However, this is what I found during my install. First of all I have a 2014 model Entune Plus no/Nav or JBL. Both of the connectors will fit into the chassis harness without a problem. The issue is the radio side. I had to trim both plug ends to accommodate the radio plug. You should take a look and find out what needs to be trimmed. One item is the flat recessed area of the plug. You'll find it needs to be trimmed all the way to the end of the plug. Also needed trimming is one of the slide channels. I had to do this to both plugs in order to easily slide in the back of the radio.
Attached Thumbnails
Line Out Converter Help needed- which harness wires to tap?-metra_plugs.jpg