Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Audio & Video

Notices

Line Out Converter Help needed- which harness wires to tap?

Old 05-28-2014, 06:20 PM   #41
skootx is on a distinguished road

skootx's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by looking4vr View Post

So your pinout would be:
Left Front + = Pink
Left Front - = Purple
Right Front + = Green
Right Front - = Blue
Left Rear + = Black
Left Rear - = Yellow
Right Rear + = Red
Right Rear - = White

Is this the correct jack to tap from? 2014 Entune with nav, no JBL.

Old 05-29-2014, 07:09 AM   #42
weendoggy is on a distinguished road
weendoggy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by AiNoFaKNKeA View Post
It should have two connectors in one set, as the speakers are split to two different connectors. The part #'s are 70-1761 and 71-1761.
This is correct. However, this is what I found during my install. First of all I have a 2014 model Entune Plus no/Nav or JBL. Both of the connectors will fit into the chassis harness without a problem. The issue is the radio side. I had to trim both plug ends to accommodate the radio plug. You should take a look and find out what needs to be trimmed. One item is the flat recessed area of the plug. You'll find it needs to be trimmed all the way to the end of the plug. Also needed trimming is one of the slide channels. I had to do this to both plugs in order to easily slide in the back of the radio.
Attached Thumbnails
Line Out Converter Help needed- which harness wires to tap?-metra_plugs.jpg  
Old 05-29-2014, 07:13 AM   #43
weendoggy is on a distinguished road
weendoggy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by skootx View Post
Is this the correct jack to tap from? 2014 Entune with nav, no JBL.

That is the rear speaker plug. The power and front speakers is the one next to that on the radio and is where you'll tap for "ignition on" power to the amp which would be #C on the diagram larger plug. DO NOT connect the amp power to this, just the trigger wire to turn the amp on.

The two blue wires (H & I) on the plug aren't used and you'll see that there's nothing there on the harness end.
Old 05-29-2014, 09:45 AM   #44

skootx's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks, that really clears it up. I'm going to cut into the factory harness/wires, so no adapter needed.

EDIT: I decided to go with the adapters, so thanks again!
Old 05-30-2014, 04:50 AM   #45
deadbird8 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeadbird8 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeadbird8 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeadbird8 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeadbird8 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeadbird8 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeadbird8 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeadbird8 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeadbird8 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeadbird8 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeadbird8 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Army:
deadbird8's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by weendoggy View Post
This is correct. However, this is what I found during my install. First of all I have a 2014 model Entune Plus no/Nav or JBL. Both of the connectors will fit into the chassis harness without a problem. The issue is the radio side. I had to trim both plug ends to accommodate the radio plug. You should take a look and find out what needs to be trimmed. One item is the flat recessed area of the plug. You'll find it needs to be trimmed all the way to the end of the plug. Also needed trimming is one of the slide channels. I had to do this to both plugs in order to easily slide in the back of the radio.
I used the BEST KITS connectors for my 2014 Entune Plus install and they fit both sides without trimming anything.

Best Kits BHA1761 Radio Wire Harness (male plugs)
Best Kits BHO1761 Radio Wire Harness (female plugs)

I figured the Metra connectors were the same, maybe not.
Old 06-06-2014, 01:53 PM   #46
AaronK13 is on a distinguished road

Name: Aaron
AaronK13's Tacoma Gallery
I kinda brain farted when I ran my wires, I only ran 2 wires back to the LOC (thinking 1-front and 1-rear). Now realizing I needed FR, FL, RR, and RL. If i just ran my LOC input off of the 2 front channels (FL, and FR) would I only be losing the fading option??
Old 06-06-2014, 01:57 PM   #47

skootx's Tacoma Gallery
Yup. But that's how I did it- you can set fade by adjusting the amp's gain settings for the rear channel though. Fade for me is typically a set it and forget it thing.

I was concerned that the fronts would have been limited in frequency somehow, to match the speakers but by my ears they are not. I seem to have a full spectrum going from front speaker outs on the HU to my amp.
Old 06-07-2014, 05:02 AM   #48
deadbird8 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeadbird8 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeadbird8 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeadbird8 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeadbird8 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeadbird8 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeadbird8 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeadbird8 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeadbird8 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeadbird8 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeadbird8 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Army:
My shop told me they would have just set up a good set of component speakers in Front controlled by the processor and disregarded the back speakers if I wasn't running a Sub.
Old 06-19-2014, 06:31 AM   #49
PMDclassics is on a distinguished road

Name: Todd
PMDclassics's Tacoma Gallery
So if the line out converter is a Hiss box why even put the thing in?? Just go amp?? There has to be decent harnesses out there for going straight to an amplifier.
Old 06-20-2014, 03:47 AM   #50
Army:
The LOC or processor is the converter- takes the amplified line input from the head unit converts to non-amplified RCA signal for the AMP input. You don't want to run an amplified signal straight into the amplified (even though the stock HU isn't putting out much power).

The noise/hiss is coming from the head unit. The LOC or processor will either clean up or in some cases accentuate the noise on the inputs to the amp depending on what you use.
Old 07-19-2014, 12:29 PM   #51
tommymac is on a distinguished road

Army:
Name: Tom
tommymac's Tacoma Gallery
I've been researching my audio upgrade for a while now on this site. This thread has been the most helpful so far. I was set to use my stock HU and a LOC. I was debating between the LCI6 and spending the big bucks on the JL Audio Clean Sweep. Now this talk of amp hiss has got me re-thinking the whole thing. Has anyone out there added a LOC and Amp to a stock HU without getting any hiss? Does a LOC cause AM radio noise?
Old 07-19-2014, 12:43 PM   #52

skootx's Tacoma Gallery
I have hiss, using LOC and a miniDSP. It's pretty bad. I researched it pretty heavily too and would look at the Audison bitTEN if I had the coins. I'd say go the LOC route, don't even worry about the LCI6 and save up for the bitTEN.

I don't think it's AM, or ground loop, or power line noise. It's definitely coming from the head unit. It sounds like the hiss of a cassette tape (if you're old enough to know about that