1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Line Out Converter Help needed- which harness wires to tap?

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by Slider57, Mar 6, 2014.

1. Mar 6, 2014 at 10:49 AM
    Slider57

Slider57 [OP] Active Member

Member:
    Bailey, CO
    Vehicle:
    14 ACSB 4WD SR5 V6
    Okay, before I get all flamed-up because I'm not replacing the stock HU, let's put that aside, as I want to keep the stock look on the dash to fool the pricks out there wanting to do a smash & grab.

I have this LOC: http://www.crutchfield.com/p_161LC7IG/AudioControl-LC7i-Gray.html Instructions are straightforward, except for the fact that its generic on the Input side, and for the life of me, I can't locate any info on which wires I need to tap to feed the LOC unit. I only want to tap the fronts. I have a '14 Access Cab.

Any info would be HUGE!!!:D

Last edited: Mar 6, 2014
  2. Mar 6, 2014 at 11:22 AM
    Slider57

Member:
    Bailey, CO
    Vehicle:
    14 ACSB 4WD SR5 V6
    I'm clear there, + to +, - to -... what I'm after, is exactly which wires in the stock OEM Harness I tap for the front speakers to run to the Input side on the LOC.

3. Mar 6, 2014 at 10:49 PM
    Jwheeler

Jwheeler Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Washington
    Vehicle:
    trd off-road sr5 leveled
    Leveled with 33's
    Pull your door panels and see what color the speaker wires are on both sides and find a spot where you want to splice in to them at either at the deck or some where in between should be a different color on both sides. This is the same way I'm going to do my system but I'm going to use the audiocontrole dq-61 I'm tired of buying decks and alarms since I've had my stero jacked before. Try and keep everything stock looking but not sounding.

EasyLivin likes this.
  4. Mar 7, 2014 at 6:04 AM
    2013TacoLTD

2013TacoLTD Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dennis
    Mckinney, TX
    Vehicle:
    13 Tacoma Limited V6 4X2
    Radio On Mod, Complete new stereo with 10" subs, Truxedo bed cover, GT-MAT through doors and rear cab.
    This depends greatly on what system you have now. In the JBL systems (at least in 2013), you have to tap AFTER the factory amp because the power from the HU has almost no power. I tapped THE WIRES before the amp and could not understand why I was getting no sound.

I ended up getting a new HU, but I wish I would have stayed stock. A lot of sunlight hits the stereo screen and my aftermarket model is hard to see in sunlight and even worse with sunglasses on.

5. Mar 7, 2014 at 9:51 AM
    looking4vr

looking4vr Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brad
    Lusby, MD
    Vehicle:
    17 DCSB TRD OffRoad 6MT
    Bone Stock, for now
    *EDIT 03/14/2014 - Added wiring diagram*

[​IMG]

*EDIT - just cross referenced - if you have a standard audio system 2005-2014 (or NON JBL) this information will be correct*

If you have a NON amplified factory system you can use the following (provided your dash plugs are the same)

[​IMG]

So your pinout would be:
    Left Front + = Pink
    Left Front - = Purple
    Right Front + = Green
    Right Front - = Blue
    Left Rear + = Black
    Left Rear - = Yellow
    Right Rear + = Red
    Right Rear - = White

Hope this helps...is the system a JBL system?

Last edited: Mar 13, 2014
  6. Mar 7, 2014 at 12:19 PM
    Slider57

Member:
    Bailey, CO
    Vehicle:
    14 ACSB 4WD SR5 V6
    My 14 is a non-JBL setup. Basic entune with XM, Bluetooth, steering wheel controls and no amp. Thanks for the help!

Last edited: Mar 7, 2014
  7. Mar 7, 2014 at 12:54 PM
    looking4vr

Member:
    First Name:
    Brad
    Lusby, MD
    Vehicle:
    17 DCSB TRD OffRoad 6MT
    Bone Stock, for now
    Then what I posted should be spot on. Good luck with your install :)

8. Mar 7, 2014 at 2:39 PM
    Slider57

Member:
    Bailey, CO
    Vehicle:
    14 ACSB 4WD SR5 V6
    That chart you posted up should be a sticky! Thanks again!

9. Mar 7, 2014 at 2:50 PM
    looking4vr

Member:
    First Name:
    Brad
    Lusby, MD
    Vehicle:
    17 DCSB TRD OffRoad 6MT
    Bone Stock, for now
    Moderators? lol :D No worries - Cheers :cheers:

10. Mar 9, 2014 at 12:53 PM
    weendoggy

weendoggy Well-Known Member

Member:
    Aptos, CA
    Vehicle:
    2014 TRD ACOR 4x4
    Access Original Tonneau Cover; Toyota Side Tube Steps; Focal ISS690 front speakers; Clarion XC1410 mini amp; Gentex 453 rearview mirror with Homelink, Compass, Temp and Autodim; Prodigy P2 trailer brake controller, Heated Seats from www.cobraheat.com, BriteAss Fogs, Phillips Extreme LED H/L. Heated mirrors from @Up2NoGood. 5100 Bilstein all four corners.
    That chart may only go to 2013. I just did my 2014 non-JBL speaker upgrade and the colors are reverse for the R/L speakers. I didn't have a diagram and relied on the +/- on the speaker itself to. The tweeter had red + going to purple and black - to pink. The same held true for the right door. Unless the factory wired my truck differently, I wired my new Focal speakers according to how I took the old ones out.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 9, 2014
  11. Mar 10, 2014 at 7:29 AM
    looking4vr

Member:
    First Name:
    Brad
    Lusby, MD
    Vehicle:
    17 DCSB TRD OffRoad 6MT
    Bone Stock, for now
    I just did some quick cross referencing and although I don't disagree with the evidence you do have me curious now. I'm going to do some digging and picture taking of my own because as it seems pretty clear now there could be some discrepancies going on here. Most all manufacturers of harness are still specifying the same harness from 2005-current for our radios so the wiring can't have changed but I want to get eyes on to verify. As far as the "tweeters" in the doors vs. the rest of the wiring I want to verify that as well...there is always a chance the factory has them wired out of phase from the woofers intentionally - that is a common car audio tweak that wires the mids/woofers in door locations out of phase from the higher mounted high frequency drivers for better acoustic alignment but I'd be surprised if that were the case. Only way to tell is to dig in...and I'll have pics for reference as well. Thanks for pointing that out!

12. Mar 10, 2014 at 7:49 AM
    weendoggy

Member:
    Aptos, CA
    Vehicle:
    2014 TRD ACOR 4x4
    Access Original Tonneau Cover; Toyota Side Tube Steps; Focal ISS690 front speakers; Clarion XC1410 mini amp; Gentex 453 rearview mirror with Homelink, Compass, Temp and Autodim; Prodigy P2 trailer brake controller, Heated Seats from www.cobraheat.com, BriteAss Fogs, Phillips Extreme LED H/L. Heated mirrors from @Up2NoGood. 5100 Bilstein all four corners.
    Thanks. I'll check with my stereo shop and ask the same. The 6x9's did not have a +/- on them that I could see so I wired them to the same as the tweeters. The wires all connected to each other in the harness.

13. Mar 10, 2014 at 8:00 AM
    looking4vr

Member:
    First Name:
    Brad
    Lusby, MD
    Vehicle:
    17 DCSB TRD OffRoad 6MT
    Bone Stock, for now
    I've checked and double checked and the harness is the same from 05 to 14. As far as the speakers go - there is a 100% way to check which is a polarity test and see which wires make the speaker extend out or in. I did this on my speakers to determine polarity before I installed the rest of my gear. Essentially you take a 9Volt battery and touch the speaker leads to the + and - terminals of the battery (this would be the cut off end of the plug connected to the factory speaker). If the speaker pops out the polarity is correct (whichever color wires are on the + and - terminals). If it pulls in, or downward, the wires are the reverse. I may not have time to pull my door panels tonight but I will get them off and check - might as well take pics of the polarity test too and post those for reference as well....

mechanicjon likes this.
  14. Mar 10, 2014 at 12:03 PM
    weendoggy

Member:
    Aptos, CA
    Vehicle:
    2014 TRD ACOR 4x4
    Just went out and checked my stock speakers with the 9v battery test. The lower 6x9 speakers are wired Pink + and Purple -. However, the tweeters are wired just the opposite with the Red wire + from the speaker going to Purple in the harness as shown. Now I don't know which speaker wires I need to change but will check with the stereo shop.

This picture was before I removed my stock speakers, but I was able to test on the bench with the 9v battery and the Pink was positive with the speaker popping out. I did reverse to check and it pulled in showing incorrect polarity. I did the same with the tweeters and it is the same as my previous post with colors being reversed.

[​IMG]

Here's a couple of pictures showing the 9v battery test. When you test the tweeter, you have to connect directly to the terminal on the speaker. The wire won't allow enough current for the test going through the resistor/capacitor. Notice polarity of speaker.

[​IMG]

I tested the 6x9 and this shows the plugin as well as the back where I was able to use my test leads. I think it's self explanatory. Notice polarity of speaker.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 10, 2014
    MolonLabeTaco likes this.
  15. Mar 11, 2014 at 5:36 AM
    looking4vr

Member:
    First Name:
    Brad
    Lusby, MD
    Vehicle:
    17 DCSB TRD OffRoad 6MT
    Bone Stock, for now
    There you go! You had me scratching my head for a minute there. And that does confirm my suspicion that the factory runs the upper mid/high frequency driver (it's not really fair to call it a tweeter) out of phase from the lower mid/low frequency driver. That's how I plan on running my tweeters in my doors when I get to installing my components as well.

16. Mar 11, 2014 at 7:42 AM
    weendoggy

Member:
    Aptos, CA
    Vehicle:
    2014 TRD ACOR 4x4
    I'll dive back in my install and redo the wiring. Basically it'll be reversing my soldering so that shouldn't take long. I'll also update my post with the attachment corrected so others don't make the same mistake. I'll be stopping by my stereo shop today to discuss with them as well.

17. Mar 11, 2014 at 6:45 PM
    weendoggy

Member:
    Aptos, CA
    Vehicle:
    2014 TRD ACOR 4x4
    Stopped by the stereo shop today and verified all the connections. Yes, the uppers are phased in by the factory and they said they do that as well when spacing them a few feet apart. He told me to just redo the 6x9 wiring and all will be good. This way the new Focal IBus 2.1 unit I'll be installing soon won't damage anything. Also, the IBus 2.1 doesn't need a LOC so that's less wiring. Hope this helps everyone.

Also corrected information and my .pdf document on this thread: http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/audio-video/317073-2014-access-cab-sub-options.html

18. Mar 12, 2014 at 4:34 AM
    looking4vr

Member:
    First Name:
    Brad
    Lusby, MD
    Vehicle:
    17 DCSB TRD OffRoad 6MT
    Bone Stock, for now
    That is correct - the old rule of thumb we used to use was if the tweeter was more than 8" away from the midrange you could wire the tweeter 180* out of phase from mid and it would typically bring the level of the tweeter down (perceptibly) in relation to the acoustic timing of the midrange. Very common for lower door midrange placement vs. upper sail panel or A-pillar mounted tweeters.

19. Mar 12, 2014 at 4:40 AM
    KenpachiZaraki

KenpachiZaraki Its Wicked Flow BITCHES!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex •﹏•
    Lubbock
    Vehicle:
    05 TRD. 325/275/365 SBD
    ALL POSER- Afe Pro Dry S drop in filter, 3" AP leaf pack, Eibach w/5100's up front, 5100's rear, Fog Light Mod, ABS off mod, Dash Light MOD, Doug Thorley Long Tube Headers, Wicked Flow Bitches MAX Muffler, 4" floods, 20", 43" light bars, 265/75/16 Hankook Dynapro ATm, oil catch can, rear diff breather relocate, Custome Sliders, SOS concepts Front bumper, Demon Eye Mod, backlit TRD emblem on bumper, Morimoto D2S projectors,
    Subbed for info

20. Mar 13, 2014 at 5:51 AM
    looking4vr

Member:
    First Name:
    Brad
    Lusby, MD
    Vehicle:
    17 DCSB TRD OffRoad 6MT
    Bone Stock, for now
    I put this together for another user I sold my JL Stealthbox too to assist him in installing his amp to run the box. Please feel free to use this wiring diagram. I've also updated my original post with this as well.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 13, 2014

Products Discussed in

To Top