1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

The famous 2nd gen tweeter issues..

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by ABA180, Mar 7, 2014.

1. Mar 7, 2014 at 6:43 PM
    ABA180

ABA180 [OP] It burns when I pee....

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    East Bridgewater MA
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma Regular Cab Slider
    Pioneer CD, Megaloud/JBL amps, Rockford/Polk speakers.
    I'm pretty sure one of my stock tweeters took a dive. Not a shock..I'm running Fosgate 6x9's off an MTX amp so I knew it was sooner or later for the stock tweets.

First and foremost, what have you used to replace the factory tweeters? What has to be done..any hacking of the door inside?

Second, I've read a little about the shitshow that is the wiring from Toyota. I'm not sure off my head if the installer pulled wire for mine or used what I had.

Assuming that he used what I had, how do I wire an aftermarket tweeter? Sake of argument it doesn't have crossovers included. I'm guessing Toyota had to have used some kind of a crossover in there already, so if I understand properly I'd have to clip the factory tweet before the wiring split and strip a little wire, then connect the aftermarket tweet and I'm good. Please clarify.

2. Mar 14, 2014 at 2:08 PM
    Aw9d

Aw9d That one guy

Member:
    Tweeter should have crossover attached to block bass out of it.

You'll want to build a bracket, pretty simple to do out of MDF. There is diagrams on here somewhere too.

You can use the factory wiring for the tweeter if they didn't add any other wires.

3. Mar 17, 2014 at 7:13 PM
    ABA180

ABA180 [OP] It burns when I pee....

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    East Bridgewater MA
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma Regular Cab Slider
    Pioneer CD, Megaloud/JBL amps, Rockford/Polk speakers.

I surmised they had a X-over somewhere..I've had component sets in my old truck so I'm familiar with how to run them if starting from scratch, just knew Toyota had some interesting method.

If the installer pulled new wire for the 6x9's that's not so bad, I'll just use an external crossover in each side and do my own thing..

4. Mar 26, 2014 at 2:13 AM
    ZEROPILOT

ZEROPILOT Can't re-MEMBER

Member:
    First Name:
    ED
    SUNRISE,FLORIDA
    Vehicle:
    09 2.7 XTRA CAB 5 SPEED
    LARGER WHEELS. DIFFERENT STEREO. PUSH BAR. TAILGATE EXTENDER. WIPER MOD. TPMS LIGHT DELETE MOD.
    I think the cross over is at the main door speaker at the point that it goes from there to the tweeter. I haven't seen mine, but I remember reading this from another post. At any rate a new crossover (filter) would be needed.

5. Mar 26, 2014 at 7:28 AM
    looking4vr

looking4vr Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brad
    Lusby, MD
    Vehicle:
    17 DCSB TRD OffRoad 6MT
    Bone Stock, for now
    The crossover is a capacitor that limits low frequencies from getting to the speaker that is actually attached at the speaker to the frame or basket of the speaker. Any new set of tweeters that are purchased will have some type of inline crossover that you can install at the time you put the new speakers in. They are essentially "spliced" in parallel at the factory (by harnesses) so the installation should be very straight forward - unplug the factory mids (tweeters) and splice the new tweeters into the wiring that is there with the inline capacitor or crossover that came included with the new speakers and you're good to go.

6. Jul 29, 2014 at 9:57 PM
    o0oSHADOWo0o

o0oSHADOWo0o Just lurking in the darkness

Member:
    First Name:
    Shadow
    Va Beach
    Vehicle:
    2012 Double Cab Short Bed 4x4 TRD Sport
    Just a few LEDs...
    You could put some surface mount tweeters on the triangular "sail" panels in the door. Many of these come with their own crossovers.

Products Discussed in

To Top