Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Audio & Video

Notices

The famous 2nd gen tweeter issues..

Old 03-07-2014, 06:43 PM   #1
It burns when I pee....
ABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
ABA180's Tacoma Gallery
The famous 2nd gen tweeter issues..

I'm pretty sure one of my stock tweeters took a dive. Not a shock..I'm running Fosgate 6x9's off an MTX amp so I knew it was sooner or later for the stock tweets.

First and foremost, what have you used to replace the factory tweeters? What has to be done..any hacking of the door inside?

Second, I've read a little about the shitshow that is the wiring from Toyota. I'm not sure off my head if the installer pulled wire for mine or used what I had.

Assuming that he used what I had, how do I wire an aftermarket tweeter? Sake of argument it doesn't have crossovers included. I'm guessing Toyota had to have used some kind of a crossover in there already, so if I understand properly I'd have to clip the factory tweet before the wiring split and strip a little wire, then connect the aftermarket tweet and I'm good. Please clarify.
Old 03-14-2014, 02:08 PM   #2
That one guy
Aw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Aw9d's Tacoma Gallery
Tweeter should have crossover attached to block bass out of it.

You'll want to build a bracket, pretty simple to do out of MDF. There is diagrams on here somewhere too.

You can use the factory wiring for the tweeter if they didn't add any other wires.
Old 03-17-2014, 07:13 PM   #3
It burns when I pee....
ABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
ABA180's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aw9d View Post
Tweeter should have crossover attached to block bass out of it.

You'll want to build a bracket, pretty simple to do out of MDF. There is diagrams on here somewhere too.

You can use the factory wiring for the tweeter if they didn't add any other wires.

I surmised they had a X-over somewhere..I've had component sets in my old truck so I'm familiar with how to run them if starting from scratch, just knew Toyota had some interesting method.

If the installer pulled new wire for the 6x9's that's not so bad, I'll just use an external crossover in each side and do my own thing..
Old 03-26-2014, 02:13 AM   #4
Can't re-MEMBER
ZEROPILOT is one of the sharper tools in the shedZEROPILOT is one of the sharper tools in the shedZEROPILOT is one of the sharper tools in the shedZEROPILOT is one of the sharper tools in the shedZEROPILOT is one of the sharper tools in the shedZEROPILOT is one of the sharper tools in the shedZEROPILOT is one of the sharper tools in the shedZEROPILOT is one of the sharper tools in the shedZEROPILOT is one of the sharper tools in the shedZEROPILOT is one of the sharper tools in the shedZEROPILOT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: ED
ZEROPILOT's Tacoma Gallery
I think the cross over is at the main door speaker at the point that it goes from there to the tweeter. I haven't seen mine, but I remember reading this from another post. At any rate a new crossover (filter) would be needed.
Old 03-26-2014, 07:28 AM   #5
looking4vr is a jewel in the roughlooking4vr is a jewel in the roughlooking4vr is a jewel in the rough

Name: Brad
looking4vr's Tacoma Gallery
The crossover is a capacitor that limits low frequencies from getting to the speaker that is actually attached at the speaker to the frame or basket of the speaker. Any new set of tweeters that are purchased will have some type of inline crossover that you can install at the time you put the new speakers in. They are essentially "spliced" in parallel at the factory (by harnesses) so the installation should be very straight forward - unplug the factory mids (tweeters) and splice the new tweeters into the wiring that is there with the inline capacitor or crossover that came included with the new speakers and you're good to go.
Old 07-29-2014, 09:57 PM   #6
o0o Flaming Skull Member o0o
o0oSHADOWo0o is one of the sharper tools in the shedo0oSHADOWo0o is one of the sharper tools in the shedo0oSHADOWo0o is one of the sharper tools in the shedo0oSHADOWo0o is one of the sharper tools in the shedo0oSHADOWo0o is one of the sharper tools in the shedo0oSHADOWo0o is one of the sharper tools in the shedo0oSHADOWo0o is one of the sharper tools in the shedo0oSHADOWo0o is one of the sharper tools in the shedo0oSHADOWo0o is one of the sharper tools in the shedo0oSHADOWo0o is one of the sharper tools in the shedo0oSHADOWo0o is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Shadow
o0oSHADOWo0o's Tacoma Gallery
You could put some surface mount tweeters on the triangular "sail" panels in the door. Many of these come with their own crossovers.