Notices

DIY: Basic Speaker Upgrade- 2nd Gen Access Cab

Old 12-10-2012, 08:53 PM   #261
tractng is on a distinguished road
tractng's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich91710 View Post
That will work fine.

Here's the factory wiring. The gray box is just a sleeve that conceals the joined wires.

Rich,

Are the neg/pos wires label in red and black on the taco? I am actually surprised...
Old 12-10-2012, 09:02 PM   #262
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
When I wired in my Polk crossover, I wired red to + and black to -.
I think I remember each door having a different color tracer, but the base colors were red and black. Pretty sure the tweeter harnesses were identical on both sides.

Seriously, it's AC. As long as all speakers in the cab are in phase, it doesn't matter.
Stereo systems have been running floating grounds to the speakers ever since they moved beyond 18 watts back in the 80s.
Old 04-03-2013, 06:08 PM   #263
snowrx has a brilliant futuresnowrx has a brilliant futuresnowrx has a brilliant futuresnowrx has a brilliant futuresnowrx has a brilliant futuresnowrx has a brilliant futuresnowrx has a brilliant futuresnowrx has a brilliant futuresnowrx has a brilliant futuresnowrx has a brilliant futuresnowrx has a brilliant future
Firefighter: SFEO(ret)
snowrx's Tacoma Gallery
Easy rear access door wiring

On my 2013 I was able to run the speaker wires from a connector behind the drivers side A pillar, back behind the weather strip over the doors to the rear door hinge area. Very easy, and since I was using the factory HU, I did not need big aftermarket wire.
On my truck the connector was black, with four wires ,violet,pink,blue and light green, the same colors as the front speakers. Cut back the sleeve to give yourself some room to work, and you can clip the wires on the upper side of the connector. This will disconnect your ineffective headliner "rear" speakers. Pull the weatherstrip off all around the upper part of the door opening.
You can now splice some new wires on and carefully thread them up the pillar and above the headliner and behind the side curtain airbags, then behind the door latch loop and down the rear. Keep the wires behind the little grey tabs so the wires won't be in the way when you put the weatherstrip back. Meet your wires from the doors and you're done. Run right rear wires across under the under seat bins.
Attached Thumbnails
DIY: Basic Speaker Upgrade- 2nd Gen Access Cab-img_0002-copy.jpg  
Old 04-03-2013, 06:36 PM   #264
snowrx has a brilliant futuresnowrx has a brilliant futuresnowrx has a brilliant futuresnowrx has a brilliant futuresnowrx has a brilliant futuresnowrx has a brilliant futuresnowrx has a brilliant futuresnowrx has a brilliant futuresnowrx has a brilliant futuresnowrx has a brilliant futuresnowrx has a brilliant future
snowrx's Tacoma Gallery
Now you'll need to bypass the factory "radio condenser" behind the glove box.
Pull in the box sides to clear the pegs, pull down the glovebox door, reach in on the right side and pop off the upper end of the door damper, then pull the glovebox straight out and out of your way. There's a 10mm bolt above the glovebox latch loop you'll need to remove. Above the glovebox is a cover, pull the sides straight out to pop loose one snap clip on each side. Tilt the cover down and pull it away from the dash and you will see a little box attached to the back. Pull the connector off and the box pulls off the cover with a push clip. Snap off the box cover and you will see two capacitors inside. just solder a jumper across each one and you will get full bass to the rear speakers again.
Attached Thumbnails
DIY: Basic Speaker Upgrade- 2nd Gen Access Cab-img_0003-copy.jpg   DIY: Basic Speaker Upgrade- 2nd Gen Access Cab-img_0010.jpg   DIY: Basic Speaker Upgrade- 2nd Gen Access Cab-img_0004-copy.jpg  
Old 04-29-2013, 07:50 PM   #265
brian9682 is on a distinguished road
Name: Brian
brian9682's Tacoma Gallery
2013 SR5 PreRunner speakers ??????

OK. I have a 2.7L 2wd SR5 PreRunner DCSB. I am 52 and want to upgrade the stereo system in stages. I don't want a window rattling system, I just want a full, nice sound. My wife's Prius sounds great with her JBL system. I am guessing that I would have been more than happy with the premium system in this if had been installed.

My first question is on speakers.
Crutchfield states:
that I need 6 1/2" or 6 3/4" in the fronts and 5 1/4" in the rears.

Sonic states:
Speakers that fit your 2013 TOYOTA TACOMA Standard 6 Spkr Audio (change)
Front: 6" x 9"
Rear: 6-3/4"
Front door: 6" x 9"
Back door: 6-1/2"

TacoTunes states:
fronts: 6.5" components
6" x 9" coxials
rears: 6.5" coaxials

What gives? How do I know what I need without tearing a door apart?

I have purchased from Crutchfield before and was very happy with their service. I have read good things about Sonic and they appear pretty inexpensive. TacoTunes looks to be more high end products that is out of my likely budget.

Thanks for your help with my speaker quandary.
Brian
Old 04-29-2013, 08:11 PM   #266
jmdaniel has much to be proud ofjmdaniel has much to be proud ofjmdaniel has much to be proud ofjmdaniel has much to be proud ofjmdaniel has much to be proud ofjmdaniel has much to be proud ofjmdaniel has much to be proud ofjmdaniel has much to be proud ofjmdaniel has much to be proud ofjmdaniel has much to be proud of

Army:
jmdaniel's Tacoma Gallery
Go with Crutchfield, they know what they're talking about. I can't speak for what you stated Sonic told you, as I have no idea what the difference between "Front" and "Front Door" is, or "Rear" and "Rear Door", and if you state there are 6 speakers, why are you listing 4 pair?

I have a 2011 Access Cab, am your age, and put 5-1/2 Boston Acoustics in the front doors, nothing in the back doors, disconnected those crappy things in the headliner, and slipped a Kicker Hideaway sub under the seat. That speaker setup is more than enough for me. Good luck.
Old 04-30-2013, 01:36 PM   #267
Nuggety
Chickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Chickenmunga's Tacoma Gallery
Brian -
Each website is listing different sizes because the door openings are custom fit. You will need a speaker baffle. I recommend Mr Marv, he builds a quality product. TacoTunes has been shady, and Crutchfield will just give you a cheapo plastic thing.

Rear speakers are not a necessity, nor are they recommended in higher end setups, but to each their own. I recommend installing fronts first and then waiting for the rears if you still decide you need them.

Crutchfield, Sonic will be OK for regular product such as speakers. 6.5" on the front will be the ideal size. Mr Marv can also give you recommendations. Wonderful guy to talk to on the phone.
Old 05-01-2013, 09:59 AM   #268
Only from the waist down.
nubbs is one of the sharper tools in the shednubbs is one of the sharper tools in the shednubbs is one of the sharper tools in the shednubbs is one of the sharper tools in the shednubbs is one of the sharper tools in the shednubbs is one of the sharper tools in the shednubbs is one of the sharper tools in the shednubbs is one of the sharper tools in the shednubbs is one of the sharper tools in the shednubbs is one of the sharper tools in the shednubbs is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Reverend
nubbs's Tacoma Gallery
If you've got the DCSB you will want to go with 6.5" in all 4 doors and as stated, you will need the adapters. I can't speak to the various outlets for the adapters as I made my own from plastic cutting boards. If you're handy, I would suggest this route, I saved a ton of money. Asthetically they won't will awards, but if you take your time, cut them and seal them against the inner door and speaker flange correctly, they'll sound good as anything out there. Also, the 6.5" speakers in the front should be a component set, to isolate the tweeter in the factory location.
Old 10-26-2013, 07:02 PM   #269
tomminator855 is on a distinguished road
Name: Tom
tomminator855's Tacoma Gallery
I just ordered . 2 pairs of focal 165 2ways coaxial from crutchfield.com . These will be replace my stock on 2014 Double cab, They only comes with the speaker adapter for front door not the back door ,so had to order rear door adapter separate , I am planing to replace the stock tweeter too, since they're not great , i heard people said no need to replace stock tweeter ,but I want to do it anyway, anyone have focal 61/2 speakers replaced ? What do u think about the sound ?
Old 10-26-2013, 07:14 PM   #270
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Yes, you need to replace the stock tweeter, as well as the stock head unit.

The stock HU is detuned to allow the stock speakers to survive.
Old 10-26-2013, 10:43 PM   #271
tomminator855 is on a distinguished road
Name: Tom
tomminator855's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Yes, you need to replace the stock tweeter, as well as the stock head unit.

The stock HU is detuned to allow the stock speakers to survive.
So stock HU cant push enough power for the speakers i am replacing ?
Old 10-26-2013, 11:25 PM   #272

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomminator855 View Post
So stock HU cant push enough power for the speakers i am replacing ?
Both power and EQ.

The best speakers on the planet will not sound much better than stock with the stock HU.
Old 11-10-2013, 09:10 AM   #273
07terry is on a distinguished road
Army:
07terry's Tacoma Gallery
can ANYONE PLEASE HELP WITH REAR DIFF NOT LOCKING UP have pulled out clean as a pin clicks in dash but nothing at actuator so checked locking fork inside rearend moves freely so put in lock making sure actuator is in locked position rear was locked but wouldnt unlock so i pulled back out slid fork into unkoc then replaced actuator any help ?
Old 11-10-2013, 01:03 PM   #274

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07terry View Post
can ANYONE PLEASE HELP WITH REAR DIFF NOT LOCKING UP have pulled out clean as a pin clicks in dash but nothing at actuator so checked locking fork inside rearend moves freely so put in lock making sure actuator is in locked position rear was locked but wouldnt unlock so i pulled back out slid fork into unkoc then replaced actuator any help ?
Try posting in the right section.

This is Audio and Video, in a thread about speaker upgrades.
Old 11-12-2013, 10:40 AM   #275
07terry is on a distinguished road
Army:
07terry's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Try posting in the right section.

This is Audio and Video, in a thread about speaker upgrades.
sorry to bother you rich im new herre always been in military and done my n
own now im disabled in the wounded warrior thought it was in that feed again sorry
Old 11-12-2013, 06:43 PM   #276

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07terry View Post
sorry to bother you rich im new herre always been in military and done my n
own now im disabled in the wounded warrior thought it was in that feed again sorry
Thank you for your service and your personal sacrifice.
Old 12-04-2013, 08:13 AM   #277
TacomaZeus is on a distinguished road
Army: GS-14 Classified!!!
Name: John
TacomaZeus's Tacoma Gallery
I have A 2010 Access Cab, It doesnt have speakers in the rear doors. Without pulling it all apart does anyone know if it would still have holes in the door frame or would i have to make some.
Old 12-05-2013, 08:13 AM   #278
snowrx's Tacoma Gallery
My 2013 still had the door holes, just have to take care to transfer the hole center to your door panel before you start cutting, and select a low profile grille.
I found some mesh ones and mounted them from behind a smoothly cut circle.
Old 12-05-2013, 03:32 PM   #279
TacomaZeus is on a distinguished road
Army: GS-14 Classified!!!
Name: John
TacomaZeus's Tacoma Gallery
thanks Snowrx
Old 12-31-2013, 08:11 AM   #280
Y2kbaja is on a distinguished road

Y2kbaja's Tacoma Gallery
Stupid noob speaker question. This is my first speaker purchase for any of my cars. 2005 DC with Pioneer deck. I bought 4-6.5 Kicker speakers and had time to put 1 in the back door--sounds worse than stock. I'm returning two of them and will put the others in the back door since I already opened the box and used them.
For the front, should I put 6x9 or 6.5 component speakers in? I rarely listen to loud music, I would rather have clearer sound at lower volumes. Sub is out of the question since all the space in the truck is usually stuffed with camping gear.
Thanks.