LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Audio & Video

Notices

DIY: Basic Speaker Upgrade- 2nd Gen Access Cab

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-31-2013, 10:19 AM   #281
Nuggety
Chickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
Chickenmunga's Avatar
Name: Mike
Joined: Apr 2008, #5877
Location: Olympia, WA
Age: 33
Gender: Male
Posts: 5,547
Chickenmunga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Y2kbaja View Post
Stupid noob speaker question. This is my first speaker purchase for any of my cars. 2005 DC with Pioneer deck. I bought 4-6.5 Kicker speakers and had time to put 1 in the back door--sounds worse than stock. I'm returning two of them and will put the others in the back door since I already opened the box and used them.
For the front, should I put 6x9 or 6.5 component speakers in? I rarely listen to loud music, I would rather have clearer sound at lower volumes. Sub is out of the question since all the space in the truck is usually stuffed with camping gear.
Thanks.
I'm guessing you meant 'worse' as in 'sounds weaker'. The speakers you bought probably are expecting more power, such as an amp. They sound bad because the stock head unit doesn't have the power to push them.

6x9 vs. 6.5 is relative to your own tastes, but typically a 6.5 produces a more accurate sound.

For what you are describing, you want a small amplifier and a good set of front door speakers.
  1. Rear door speakers are not a concern. In fact, I have my fader set fully forward because I don't notice any help from the rear.
  2. Get a reasonably good set of component speakers for the front. Note that you will need brackets, I recommend Mr. Marv
  3. A small amp will provide the clarity. Any amp should be able to do this at low volume. It takes more power and better equipment to continue providing clarity at high volume. Find a small 2-channel amplifier with speaker-level and preamp inputs. You will use the speaker-level inputs for current setup, and have the preamp inputs if you ever need them in the future. You will need to find a spot to mount it, either under a seat or in the rear cubby. It will probably be the size of a ream of paper or less.

If you really don't want the amp, go to the store and listen to speakers that are plugged into the cheapest head unit they have AND not plugged into an amp. Try to find the best sounding pair at the best price and go with that.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 12:37 PM   #282
Member
Y2kbaja is on a distinguished road
 
Y2kbaja's Avatar
Joined: Jun 2013, #106028
Location: Sacramento
Gender: Male
Posts: 47
Y2kbaja's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chickenmunga View Post
I'm guessing you meant 'worse' as in 'sounds weaker'. The speakers you bought probably are expecting more power, such as an amp. They sound bad because the stock head unit doesn't have the power to push them.

6x9 vs. 6.5 is relative to your own tastes, but typically a 6.5 produces a more accurate sound.

For what you are describing, you want a small amplifier and a good set of front door speakers.
  1. Rear door speakers are not a concern. In fact, I have my fader set fully forward because I don't notice any help from the rear.
  2. Get a reasonably good set of component speakers for the front. Note that you will need brackets, I recommend Mr. Marv
  3. A small amp will provide the clarity. Any amp should be able to do this at low volume. It takes more power and better equipment to continue providing clarity at high volume. Find a small 2-channel amplifier with speaker-level and preamp inputs. You will use the speaker-level inputs for current setup, and have the preamp inputs if you ever need them in the future. You will need to find a spot to mount it, either under a seat or in the rear cubby. It will probably be the size of a ream of paper or less.

If you really don't want the amp, go to the store and listen to speakers that are plugged into the cheapest head unit they have AND not plugged into an amp. Try to find the best sounding pair at the best price and go with that.
Thanks. Don't really want an amp and don't have factory HU. Have Pioneer. So a decent set of components will be better it sounds.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 04:47 PM   #283
Nuggety
Chickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
Chickenmunga's Avatar
Name: Mike
Joined: Apr 2008, #5877
Location: Olympia, WA
Age: 33
Gender: Male
Posts: 5,547
Chickenmunga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Y2kbaja View Post
Thanks. Don't really want an amp and don't have factory HU. Have Pioneer. So a decent set of components will be better it sounds.
You need to be careful because last time I checked, deck power isn't going to push a set of components properly... but then again, I haven't bothered keeping up on things.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 03:17 PM   #284
Senior Member
clcoyle is a splendid one to beholdclcoyle is a splendid one to beholdclcoyle is a splendid one to beholdclcoyle is a splendid one to beholdclcoyle is a splendid one to beholdclcoyle is a splendid one to beholdclcoyle is a splendid one to beholdclcoyle is a splendid one to behold
Joined: Sep 2011, #63371
Location: SoCal
Gender: Male
Posts: 195
clcoyle's Tacoma Gallery
sub'd
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 06:22 PM   #285
Senior Member
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
Rich91710's Avatar
Name: Rich
Joined: Feb 2012, #73470
Location: Los Angeles
Gender: Male
Posts: 15,967
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chickenmunga View Post
You need to be careful because last time I checked, deck power isn't going to push a set of components properly... but then again, I haven't bothered keeping up on things.
My Kenwood drives the Polk components just fine.

It's still only 2 speakers on the channel and the impedance it the same.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 08:04 AM   #286
Junior Member
JPB1993 is on a distinguished road
Joined: Mar 2014, #124537
Gender: Male
Posts: 3
JPB1993's Tacoma Gallery
Wow. Super clean install. Any other projects in the works?
  Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
DIY: Rear Speakers- 2nd Gen Reg Cab gsm Audio & Video 92 04-17-2014 07:43 AM
Stereo Upgrade BASIC How To... (2nd Gen) 007Tacoma Audio & Video 301 12-28-2013 05:22 PM
1st gen Double Cab Subwoofer box & speaker upgrade Boots Audio & Video 1 10-21-2011 06:29 PM
Poll: Double cab or Access Cab - 2nd gen only bizjettech 2nd Gen. Tacomas 75 12-31-2010 08:06 AM
anyone done an audio upgrade for a first gen access cab ? boybands are lame 1st Gen. Tacomas 22 04-22-2010 12:47 PM


Copyright © 2014 Tacoma Forum. Tacoma World is not owned by, or affiliated with Toyota Motor Corporation.