Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Audio & Video

Notices

DIY: Basic Speaker Upgrade- 2nd Gen Access Cab

Old 12-31-2013, 10:19 AM   #281
Nuggety
Chickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Chickenmunga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Y2kbaja View Post
Stupid noob speaker question. This is my first speaker purchase for any of my cars. 2005 DC with Pioneer deck. I bought 4-6.5 Kicker speakers and had time to put 1 in the back door--sounds worse than stock. I'm returning two of them and will put the others in the back door since I already opened the box and used them.
For the front, should I put 6x9 or 6.5 component speakers in? I rarely listen to loud music, I would rather have clearer sound at lower volumes. Sub is out of the question since all the space in the truck is usually stuffed with camping gear.
Thanks.
I'm guessing you meant 'worse' as in 'sounds weaker'. The speakers you bought probably are expecting more power, such as an amp. They sound bad because the stock head unit doesn't have the power to push them.

6x9 vs. 6.5 is relative to your own tastes, but typically a 6.5 produces a more accurate sound.

For what you are describing, you want a small amplifier and a good set of front door speakers.
  1. Rear door speakers are not a concern. In fact, I have my fader set fully forward because I don't notice any help from the rear.
  2. Get a reasonably good set of component speakers for the front. Note that you will need brackets, I recommend Mr. Marv
  3. A small amp will provide the clarity. Any amp should be able to do this at low volume. It takes more power and better equipment to continue providing clarity at high volume. Find a small 2-channel amplifier with speaker-level and preamp inputs. You will use the speaker-level inputs for current setup, and have the preamp inputs if you ever need them in the future. You will need to find a spot to mount it, either under a seat or in the rear cubby. It will probably be the size of a ream of paper or less.

If you really don't want the amp, go to the store and listen to speakers that are plugged into the cheapest head unit they have AND not plugged into an amp. Try to find the best sounding pair at the best price and go with that.
Old 12-31-2013, 12:37 PM   #282
Y2kbaja is on a distinguished road

Y2kbaja's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chickenmunga View Post
I'm guessing you meant 'worse' as in 'sounds weaker'. The speakers you bought probably are expecting more power, such as an amp. They sound bad because the stock head unit doesn't have the power to push them.

6x9 vs. 6.5 is relative to your own tastes, but typically a 6.5 produces a more accurate sound.

For what you are describing, you want a small amplifier and a good set of front door speakers.
  1. Rear door speakers are not a concern. In fact, I have my fader set fully forward because I don't notice any help from the rear.
  2. Get a reasonably good set of component speakers for the front. Note that you will need brackets, I recommend Mr. Marv
  3. A small amp will provide the clarity. Any amp should be able to do this at low volume. It takes more power and better equipment to continue providing clarity at high volume. Find a small 2-channel amplifier with speaker-level and preamp inputs. You will use the speaker-level inputs for current setup, and have the preamp inputs if you ever need them in the future. You will need to find a spot to mount it, either under a seat or in the rear cubby. It will probably be the size of a ream of paper or less.

If you really don't want the amp, go to the store and listen to speakers that are plugged into the cheapest head unit they have AND not plugged into an amp. Try to find the best sounding pair at the best price and go with that.
Thanks. Don't really want an amp and don't have factory HU. Have Pioneer. So a decent set of components will be better it sounds.
Old 12-31-2013, 04:47 PM   #283
Nuggety
Chickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Chickenmunga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Y2kbaja View Post
Thanks. Don't really want an amp and don't have factory HU. Have Pioneer. So a decent set of components will be better it sounds.
You need to be careful because last time I checked, deck power isn't going to push a set of components properly... but then again, I haven't bothered keeping up on things.
Old 01-16-2014, 03:17 PM   #284
clcoyle is a splendid one to beholdclcoyle is a splendid one to beholdclcoyle is a splendid one to beholdclcoyle is a splendid one to beholdclcoyle is a splendid one to beholdclcoyle is a splendid one to beholdclcoyle is a splendid one to beholdclcoyle is a splendid one to behold
clcoyle's Tacoma Gallery
sub'd
Old 01-16-2014, 06:22 PM   #285
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chickenmunga View Post
You need to be careful because last time I checked, deck power isn't going to push a set of components properly... but then again, I haven't bothered keeping up on things.
My Kenwood drives the Polk components just fine.

It's still only 2 speakers on the channel and the impedance it the same.
Old 03-04-2014, 08:04 AM   #286
JPB1993 is on a distinguished road
JPB1993's Tacoma Gallery
Wow. Super clean install. Any other projects in the works?
Old 06-17-2014, 06:12 AM   #287
nevenelestate is just really nicenevenelestate is just really nicenevenelestate is just really nicenevenelestate is just really nicenevenelestate is just really nice

Air Force: F-16 Avionics Tech 01-07
Name: Andrew
nevenelestate's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowrx View Post
On my 2013 I was able to run the speaker wires from a connector behind the drivers side A pillar, back behind the weather strip over the doors to the rear door hinge area. Very easy, and since I was using the factory HU, I did not need big aftermarket wire.
On my truck the connector was black, with four wires ,violet,pink,blue and light green, the same colors as the front speakers. Cut back the sleeve to give yourself some room to work, and you can clip the wires on the upper side of the connector. This will disconnect your ineffective headliner "rear" speakers. Pull the weatherstrip off all around the upper part of the door opening.
You can now splice some new wires on and carefully thread them up the pillar and above the headliner and behind the side curtain airbags, then behind the door latch loop and down the rear. Keep the wires behind the little grey tabs so the wires won't be in the way when you put the weatherstrip back. Meet your wires from the doors and you're done. Run right rear wires across under the under seat bins.
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowrx View Post
Now you'll need to bypass the factory "radio condenser" behind the glove box.
Pull in the box sides to clear the pegs, pull down the glovebox door, reach in on the right side and pop off the upper end of the door damper, then pull the glovebox straight out and out of your way. There's a 10mm bolt above the glovebox latch loop you'll need to remove. Above the glovebox is a cover, pull the sides straight out to pop loose one snap clip on each side. Tilt the cover down and pull it away from the dash and you will see a little box attached to the back. Pull the connector off and the box pulls off the cover with a push clip. Snap off the box cover and you will see two capacitors inside. just solder a jumper across each one and you will get full bass to the rear speakers again.
This was exactly the same for my 2012, thanks snowrx for posting this info. I have been wanting to do this for a long time and finally knocked it out last night.
Left:
violet L-
pink L+

Right:
blue R-
Light green R+

Now I need to cut a hole in the door panel and make a cover for it, going to use the method Bass Mechanic used in this thread http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/aud...tml#post812866

Old 07-03-2014, 07:18 AM   #288
303tacoma is on a distinguished road

Name: Rebecca
303tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
subd