Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Audio & Video

Notices

DIY: Basic Speaker Upgrade- 2nd Gen Access Cab

Old 01-30-2008, 09:04 AM   #41
My other ride weighs 200 tons
4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed

4x4x4trd's Tacoma Gallery
The 08 came home last night. I've had pioneer 3-ways in the 99. These in the 08 will have to go. Thanks again for the write up.
Old 02-04-2008, 03:13 PM   #42
My other ride has sails
Roland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Combat Arms Instructor, HQ Detachment, RING
Roland's Tacoma Gallery
I used to be a fanatic about my sound system. I really wish you had skipped the link to the pictures of the stock speakers. Now I' going to have to change them.
Old 02-29-2008, 01:06 AM   #43
kupono64 is on a distinguished road
kupono64's Tacoma Gallery
What is the benefit of using Tacotunes, finding wiring harnesses, drilling holes, etc, if you can got to Crutchfield and they supply everything for you for free? Is it more cost effective or are parts better quality?
Old 02-29-2008, 07:07 AM   #44
Towing Guru
maverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

maverick491's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by kupono64 View Post
What is the benefit of using Tacotunes, finding wiring harnesses, drilling holes, etc, if you can got to Crutchfield and they supply everything for you for free? Is it more cost effective or are parts better quality?
First, there are no wiring harnesses to find. They came package with the Tacotunes kit I bought, I simply suggested that they may be able to be found cheeper. Second, drilling holes is not required, I simply thought that was a cleaner way to route the wires, and my mild OCD likes clean and finished looking wire routing. Feel free to disregard that step.

As far as crutchfield supplying everything for free. Any speaker you find on crutchfield can likely be found cheaper on Amazon.com or Ebay, so free is a relative term, as sourcing all the parts individually may or may not wind up being cheaper, depending on how hard you look.

As far as the benefits of using the Tacotunes mounts...

To me? I already had 2 sets of good speakers that I intended to use, so crutchfield wasn't going to help me out any.

To everyone else? Crutchfield SEVERELY limits your speaker options to what will work with their mounts. Tacotunes offers two mount sizes for the front doors, and with all their mounts you can use a speaker with more depth than with crutchfield's supplied mounts. Basically Tacotunes gives you a better quality mount and more options as far as your speaker selection.

That said, if you are buying everything from scratch, or like the choice of speakers from crutchfield then I guess there would be no advantage to using the Tacotunes system in that case.

In that case just disregard the tacotunes specific parts of the tutorial and just use what I have written to help you through removing and re-installing the door pannels.

Regards,
Old 03-01-2008, 07:20 AM   #45
My other ride has sails
Roland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Combat Arms Instructor, HQ Detachment, RING
Roland's Tacoma Gallery
This a great guide! I like the looks of the tacotunes mounts, rugged and functional.

I want to try making a set of mounts myself from 1" HDPE plastic. Does anyone have an ACCURATE measurement of the diameter of the hole in the Tacotunes mount? With that I can determine the size and shapes I need and can order the material before taking the truck apart.

Thanks in advance!
Old 03-01-2008, 10:05 AM   #46
Towing Guru
maverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roland View Post
This a great guide! I like the looks of the tacotunes mounts, rugged and functional.

I want to try making a set of mounts myself from 1" HDPE plastic. Does anyone have an ACCURATE measurement of the diameter of the hole in the Tacotunes mount? With that I can determine the size and shapes I need and can order the material before taking the truck apart.

Thanks in advance!
Sorry, I didn't think about it. If I pull my doors apart for another reason in the near future I'll take measurements for you.
Old 03-16-2008, 09:15 PM   #47
Can speak french in Russian.
ZonKs is a splendid one to beholdZonKs is a splendid one to beholdZonKs is a splendid one to beholdZonKs is a splendid one to beholdZonKs is a splendid one to beholdZonKs is a splendid one to beholdZonKs is a splendid one to beholdZonKs is a splendid one to behold

ZonKs's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick491 View Post
Any speaker you find on crutchfield can likely be found cheaper
very true. Crutchfield wanted something like $199.00 for the speakers I wanted. I found them on another site shipped for $129.00. Something to think about.

ETA: same for the amp i bought. I found it for a full 1/3 less on another site.
Old 03-17-2008, 05:20 AM   #48
Great Dane is on a distinguished road
Great Dane's Tacoma Gallery
I usually check the price on Crutchfield.com, then I go to onlinecarstereo.com, sonicelectronix.com, or e-bay to get them cheaper.
Old 04-11-2008, 02:35 PM   #49
kohan25 is on a distinguished road
kohan25's Tacoma Gallery
stock speaker wires - color code

I am about to install aftermarket speakers but did not get the wire adapters and will be cutting the stock plug and adding the aftermarket connectors. Can someone tell me the color codes (+,-) of the wires on a 06 Taco 4 door
Thanks
Old 04-11-2008, 03:09 PM   #50
Towing Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by kohan25 View Post
I am about to install aftermarket speakers but did not get the wire adapters and will be cutting the stock plug and adding the aftermarket connectors. Can someone tell me the color codes (+,-) of the wires on a 06 Taco 4 door
Thanks
OK, on the Scosche adapters, the white wire has the bigger spade terminal, and the black wire has the smaller spade terminal. Not sure which is positive or negative, that is why I opted for the plug and play method.

Just looking back at my pictures, it appears that the front doors are blue and white, and the access doors are red and white, but in either case the white on the adapter goes to the white on the truck harness, and the blue or red wire goes to the black wire in the adapter.

So white wire is bigger spade terminal, other color is smaller spade terminal.

Hope that provides you with enough info to figure it out, as I can not answer it any better than that. Sorry.
Old 04-13-2008, 10:41 PM   #51
jtaco is on a distinguished road
jtaco's Tacoma Gallery
terminals

so in this case red is not positve? for the rear access door i cant tell if the white goes to the black or what? in post 17 it looks like black is going to white side of adapter. in this case white seems to be pos, what are ur thoughts?
Old 04-13-2008, 11:32 PM   #52
ZonKs is a splendid one to beholdZonKs is a splendid one to beholdZonKs is a splendid one to beholdZonKs is a splendid one to beholdZonKs is a splendid one to beholdZonKs is a splendid one to beholdZonKs is a splendid one to beholdZonKs is a splendid one to behold

ZonKs's Tacoma Gallery
this is for an '07, so check to make sure that they are the same for an '06

LF (+) pink
LF (-) violet
RF (+) blue
RF (-) light green
LR (+) black
LR (-) yellow
RR (+) red
RR (-) white
Old 04-13-2008, 11:53 PM   #53
jtaco's Tacoma Gallery
well i have an 05 but style is same for 05-08. i mean how would i know if any of the terminals are different? Zonks, are ur sides from facing front of truck or sittin in driver seat ?
Old 04-14-2008, 09:10 PM   #54

ZonKs's Tacoma Gallery
LF is drivers side front, RF is passenger side front, etc.
Old 04-15-2008, 12:44 AM   #55
jtaco's Tacoma Gallery
wow i found this for 05, it has speaker wire colors (+,-) in it but it doesnt say which is which unless u go from left to rt of + and - signs and match that to the colors then lt would be same as u say zonks. i just swear that maverick491s pic of the rear door panal is LR and it is red and white. if rf is passenger side then rr is back passenger then why is mavericks rl door red and white?

http://www.carfiftyfour.com/tmp/05_T...uide_v1.51.pdf
Old 04-15-2008, 05:27 AM   #56
Towing Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtaco View Post
wow i found this for 05, it has speaker wire colors (+,-) in it but it doesnt say which is which unless u go from left to rt of + and - signs and match that to the colors then lt would be same as u say zonks. i just swear that maverick491s pic of the rear door panal is LR and it is red and white. if rf is passenger side then rr is back passenger then why is mavericks rl door red and white?

http://www.carfiftyfour.com/tmp/05_T...uide_v1.51.pdf
The picture in question is of my passenger side rear access cab door. If I have a cause to pull my door pannels again i'll check all speaker wire colors. Perhaps a running change from 05 when the service guide was written and 07 when my truck was made? Or perhaps a difference between double cabs and access cabs?
Old 04-15-2008, 04:09 PM   #57
jtaco's Tacoma Gallery
oh ok , i could've sworn that it was your rear left drivers side. but if it is your back rt passenger then it is all the same. thanks for confirming that maverick.
ok i pulled door off, my lr is black and yellow so all is same . thanks guys, this is a great forum.

a while back i did a test with a battery and speaker wires to tell which was pos and neg but i cannot remember what i did. it was on vintage jbl speakers because they used to wire some of them backwards. all i remember is if it pulsed out it was hooked up rt. i connected wires to a battery and other ends to speaker connects, but i cant remember what i did exactly.
Old 05-14-2008, 12:14 PM   #58
"Historicly, Historic"
Osiris117 is on a distinguished road

Osiris117's Tacoma Gallery
Lightbulb Speaker install - money saver

Hey Guys,

If you want to save your self some green while installing your new speakers you can use some 1/2in MDF to make your speaker mounts, and if you countersink your holes you can reuse the factory screws.

CAUTION:: make sure that you leave about 1/2 - 3/4in clearance around each screw hole or you risk cracking your new speaker mount wen counter sinking.

This should save you about 50 - 75% on the total cost of mounting the speakers since a 1/2in sheet of MDF is like $50, versus $100 a pop for a single mounting kit. As an added sound deadner you can use foundation ice/water shield, it's the same as dynamat or Bquite product it just doesen't have that shiny metalic finish.

- Matt
Old 05-14-2008, 01:35 PM   #59
jtaco's Tacoma Gallery
i guess u can get foundation ice water sheild at a hardware store?
Old 05-14-2008, 02:00 PM   #60
"Historicly, Historic"
Osiris117 is on a distinguished road

Osiris117's Tacoma Gallery
Lightbulb Ice and Water shield

yeah ice and water shield is available @ any hardware store, my self i personally go to home depot. make sure that you buy the rolled stuff, and not the stuff from a bucket.

- Matt