1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Upgrading new speakers without changing wiring?

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by Taco Salad Sport, Mar 16, 2014.

1. Mar 16, 2014 at 7:57 PM
    Taco Salad Sport

Taco Salad Sport [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Castle Rock, CO
    Vehicle:
    2012 Sport DCSB 4x4
    Hey,
    My question is more for my 2006 Corolla, but I am sure the same would apply to a Tacoma (I have the JBL package so no new stereo for a while in the truck :D).

Anyways, I have a 6CD changer stereo in my Corolla and I love it. I don't love the current speakers which aren't very loud and sound crappy.

As an easy way to upgrade, can I just buy 4 new speakers and install them to get a decent sound without re-wiring the entire car with an amp, etc.?
    Any information is very much appreciated.

2. Mar 16, 2014 at 8:00 PM
    MGMTacolover55

MGMTacolover55 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Orygun
    Vehicle:
    2013 MGM Taco TRD Off Road
    floor Mats
    You should be able to put new speakers in with the stock wiring I mean you would get a little better sound but you would be better off to upgrade everything

3. Mar 16, 2014 at 9:51 PM
    ABA180

ABA180 It burns when I pee....

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    East Bridgewater MA
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma Regular Cab Slider
    Pioneer CD, Megaloud/JBL amps, Rockford/Polk speakers.
    Yes, you definitely won't need to upgrade wiring for this. Even if you add an amp you don't "have" to per se.

4. Mar 16, 2014 at 10:00 PM
    Agro

Agro Well-Known Member

Member:
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    2015 Ford F-150 XLT 3.5L Ecoboost!
    Not sure how the corolla is, but in the 2nd gen Taco, the front speakers are component separates. The tweeter and the woofer are chained together with a capacitor there to allow the tweeter to work properly. You can use stock wiring of course, but either you cut the wires and wire up a 2-way coaxial, buy wiring adapters, or a more expensive (i think better) approach is to add a crossover and keep the component separate config. but you have choices with stock wiring if you use just a headunit. The wiring is fine and you can drive it fine with an upgraded headunit with higher wattage.

5. Mar 21, 2014 at 12:37 PM
    Hillingdoner

Hillingdoner Well-Known Member

Member:
    Rio Rancho, NM
    Vehicle:
    95 LX xtracab 3.4L 4x4 5spd
    140 amp Cadillac alternator, Audio system in progress, 4Runner map light mirror conversion, foot well lamp addition, buckets and console from 99 Tacoma regular cab, big three, tint
    As others have said, not sure on the Corolla, but some Toyota systems also come with 2 ohm speakers from the factory. The majority of aftermarket are 4 ohm so this can have an impact on overall result with a swap. As an example, put a system in an 05 Camry with JBL and it has and external amp and 2 ohm speakers.

You may run into differences at the speaker connection as well. Most often, if you do not wish to cut your harness, you can get adapter harnesses to over come this.

As far as running using the stock wiring you should be fine doing just a speaker swap.

Most factory speakers are still standard cone type and can have a somewhat limited frequency reproduction ability. Aftermarket tend to be much better in reproducing a larger range and as a result can give better clarity/sound.

If you like the HU and changer then another alternative, with some funds that is, would be to add an loc and run external amps and aftermarket speakers from there.

Even if you don't buy from them it can be helpful to shop around on Crutchfield to see what they show fits where and any installation notes or adapters needed that they have on your particular setup.

Products Discussed in

To Top