1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Front door speakers not working - need help with amp setup!

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by RocktheRed, Apr 10, 2014.

1. Apr 22, 2014 at 9:22 AM
    ZMan2k2

ZMan2k2 “Hold my beer and watch this!”

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    ‘Berta
    Vehicle:
    06 Rad Red DCLB SR5
    Did the sound loss switch from one side to the other? It may be a pinched cable in the RCA's. Best bet is to swap them out for new, that way you can eliminate that from the equation.

2. Apr 22, 2014 at 9:39 AM
    RocktheRed

RocktheRed [OP] Guest

It did switch and then I messed with them and switched to the back right. I guess it is the RC 8 but I just don't know how they are pinched her only run for four feet haha but I'll change them out!

3. Apr 22, 2014 at 10:08 AM
    ZMan2k2

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    ‘Berta
    Vehicle:
    06 Rad Red DCLB SR5
    Well, if they're run inside the channel under the door, they could get pinched by simply putting the trim back on. I did that with my remote wire a couple weeks ago. Or they could be bad wires from the factory, it's been known to happen, a bad solder in the wire breaks loose, and you suddenly have no sound. Any number of things really, but it's cheap to replace them, and cross it off the "problem" list.

4. Apr 22, 2014 at 12:32 PM
    RocktheRed

RocktheRed [OP] Guest

The rcas run from my headunit, under the center console (which isn't put back on yet ) and then under the driver seat to the amp along with the remote wire...seems like all speakers are working so I don't think it's the speaker wire but I have No clue. I might as well get some good braided rcas rather than this cheap rubber wire covered stuff

5. Apr 22, 2014 at 12:42 PM
    ZMan2k2

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    ‘Berta
    Vehicle:
    06 Rad Red DCLB SR5
    All speakers are working? I thought one wasn't making sound. If they're all working, don't bother changing the RCA's. It might be a speaker wire problem. Try switching the speaker wires, R to L and L to R, and see if the problem follows or goes away. It may also be a gains setting on the amp. I just tuned mine, thanks ike3000, and boy did that make a difference. I also posted the same question on DIYMobileAudio.com, and they gave some great suggestions too. Here's the link to what they said about gain settings. http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum...n/162444-i-need-some-amp-tuning-guidance.html

6. Apr 22, 2014 at 1:48 PM
    RocktheRed

RocktheRed [OP] Guest

Ah sorry let me start over! New speakers, new amp, same headunit which isn't stock. Turned it all on and the left driver side wasn't working. So I waited until I got my new smaller amp and new headunit to deal with it. Hooked up the new amp and headunit and now the front left speakers DOES work but the front right DOES NOT. And then I looked back at your advice and played with the rcas and moved them around and now the right back speaker doesn't work. So it seems to me that all the speakers are actually working except for one each time I move around the rcas. It could certainly be a speaker wire or bad rcas but I have No clue hence why I'm here haha. I'll go get some new rcas tomorrow after work and try that. If that doesn't work then I'll play with the speaker wires?

7. Apr 22, 2014 at 2:43 PM
    ZMan2k2

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    ‘Berta
    Vehicle:
    06 Rad Red DCLB SR5
    Do you have a digital voltage multi-meter? I'm inclined to go towards a dead output on the back of the headunit. If the sound loss follows the RCA movement, then there may be a dead output on the deck. To check with a multi-meter, pull all the RCA's from the amp, play music on the deck, and put the multi-meter on AC voltage. Put the negative on the outside ring, and the positive on the middle post. Check for voltage on each RCA. I'm thinking one will not have any output, and the deck may be at fault.

8. Apr 22, 2014 at 5:02 PM
    RocktheRed

RocktheRed [OP] Guest

Hmm ok yea I bought an autoranging DMM last week.. is black or red positive? I'll check this out after work tomorrow! But both head units played perfectly fine with my stock speakers

9. Apr 22, 2014 at 5:02 PM
    RocktheRed

RocktheRed [OP] Guest

If I see any numbers on the DMM that's good right?

10. Apr 22, 2014 at 5:03 PM
    Aw9d

Aw9d That one guy

Member:
    Crimps could be loose.
    Wire could of got cut or is grounding out.

the DMM will help.

Red is + black is -

11. Apr 22, 2014 at 5:03 PM
    Aw9d

Aw9d That one guy

Member:
    what numbers do you see and what is your DMM set to?

12. Apr 28, 2014 at 5:18 AM
    RocktheRed

RocktheRed [OP] Guest

What do you mean what is my DMM Set to? I'm really new to using a DMM so I just assumed I plugged the pos and neg cords in and turned it to Volts and boom that's where I start.
    UPDATE: I haven't gotten around to using the DMM just yet...work has driven me nuts for the last 168 hours but I plan on using it today...Other than that..When I use the Bluetooth mode on the headunit, ONLY ONE speaker works! When it's on HD Radio or CD, 3 speakers work (1 does not)!! Wth! I'm tempted to just rip everything out and start again. It could be a bad head unit..I bought it off of a guy on craigslist and when i used it without the amp or RCA's (Speaker wire hooked directly to it), everything worked great! It just has a lot of bass for a head unit so i figured it would add in an amp to help out .

13. Apr 28, 2014 at 8:24 AM
    ZMan2k2

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    ‘Berta
    Vehicle:
    06 Rad Red DCLB SR5
    You want to set the DMM to AC volts. That's the signal sent out from the deck to the amp. If you're seeing voltage on all RCA's or amp outputs, then it's another issue, but make sure you set the DMM to AC volts.

Products Discussed in

To Top