1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Nav / In Dash Help??

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by 909tacoma, Oct 3, 2007.

1. Oct 3, 2007 at 6:50 PM
    909tacoma

909tacoma [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    07' Prerunner SR5 TRD
    I have been looking around for a new in dash unit.... Problem is I can't pick between the bouble din and the flip out...

Any pros and cons to the two? So far I'm looking at Alpine and Pioneer...

I did a quick search but came up with nothing... Any Links would be appreciated...

2. Oct 3, 2007 at 7:36 PM
    rhoppas

rhoppas Land of Oz

Member:
    Topeka, KS
    Vehicle:
    07 Double Cab V6 TRD Sport Tow
    Earnhardt Cannons, Terra Grapplers, Viper alarm, Hunter4x4 Bull Bar, 6" Pro Comp Off-Road lights, extra set of bed D-rings, Chrome exhaust tip, Metra Ipod/MP3 adapter, Garmin GPS, CarriageWorks grill, Maglite mounted to driver seat, 9" Stubbie Antenna, WeatherTech floor liners, Saddleman Neoprene seat covers, DeeZee bed mat
    It is just my opinion but I like the looks of the double din ones. I also wonder about the long term reliability of the flip out style...

3. Oct 3, 2007 at 7:45 PM
    The_Hodge

The_Hodge Volunteer Moderator

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    15 Lariat Sport 5.0L
    Seeing the third gen section forced me to get a Ford...
    i bought the single din flip out b/c of hiding it from thieves...

4. Oct 3, 2007 at 7:56 PM
    909tacoma

Member:
    Vehicle:
    07' Prerunner SR5 TRD
    Thanks for the imput... I checked out your truck pics and it helped me get an idea as to how high it's gonna be...

5. Oct 3, 2007 at 8:08 PM
    The_Hodge

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    15 Lariat Sport 5.0L
    np...on avic411.com, someone has a double din and they cut out a piece of plexiglass to fit the screen and put a hole in it and made it look like someone busted it. he said puts it in when he gets out and takes it back out when he uses it and theres been no probs. he claims to leave his windows down and no one screws w/ it. someone walking by and looking wouldnt know the difference and just think its already hosed.

6. Oct 4, 2007 at 10:31 AM
    yellowrr

yellowrr Member

Member:
    Atlanta, GA
    Vehicle:
    07 Double Cab, 4WD, Manual, TRD Off-Road, SR5
    I am also currently deciding on the two styles.

My father has a 2001 Tundra and installed a really nice flip out screen almost immediately. It worked great, but about two years after he installed it, the screen started making noises whenever we hit a bump or rough patch on the road. The sounds that plastic makes when its being stressed, similar to a fast paced ticking sound.

He took it into the place that installed the unit and they somehow got the noise to stop for about a month. Needless to say it got worse, and I think it really bothers my dad. Now he will pick a radio station or cd, and close the screen because of the noise. This also causes a problem because you can't change the station or cd unless the screen is open.

I'm sure this doesn't happen to all flip out screens, but its something to think about.

7. Oct 4, 2007 at 11:09 AM
    The_Hodge

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    15 Lariat Sport 5.0L
    i dont have any probs w/ mine...if ur going over descent size bumps, the it bounces a lil bit, but thats about it. mine pops out and i have the autoflap on, so it pushes back against the main part of the headunit and it stabalizes it some. i can also change stations, volume, etc w/o the screen being open. i also have the remote to do those easy too.

8. Oct 4, 2007 at 11:26 AM
    yellowrr

yellowrr Member

Member:
    Atlanta, GA
    Vehicle:

Yeah, I'm not sure what brand my dad has but I noticed design flaws from the beginning, like not being able to change channels/inputs when the screen is closed. Also, his flip out was too far forward to touch the dash for stability. And you have to take into account that he's had it for 6 years now.

I'm still debating between the flip out screen and a fixed screen. I'm also trying to justify the cost to my wife while we are trying to renovate our house. So it might be a while.

9. Oct 4, 2007 at 3:48 PM
    Jesse

Jesse Well-Known Member

Member:
    In my experience, the flip out units have caused many problems. It seems that there is more mechanical parts on the flip outs. If you notice, there are less and less new units with the flip out option. Thats probably because they are not as dependable as double dins. I have installed a few flip outs and they have been problamatic. The pros with buying a flip out is that they are less expensive than the double dins of the same category. They also look less expensive when they are tucked int the dash when not in use. Makes it a good theft deterent.

The cons with flipouts is that most of them come with a seperate attachment which receives the signals from your Audio and Video Sources. Thats more work on the installation side of it and takes up more space. Most double dins with navigation units come as one unit.

10. Oct 6, 2007 at 6:04 PM
    909tacoma

Member:
    Vehicle:
    07' Prerunner SR5 TRD
    For some reason I like the flip out still... Maybe I'm still old school..
    Anybody have any input on the Pioneer AVIC-N4?

n4_a0312788c8c7116bf25ae2236b8a3fe563cf4ba7.jpg

11. Oct 6, 2007 at 6:59 PM
    The_Hodge

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    15 Lariat Sport 5.0L
    apparently the n4 has a bigger screen than the previous N units...a gloss finished screen...the best ipod interface on the pioneer units...ummm...ask the guys over at http://www.avic411.com for more info or read up on the topics that have already been started.

12. Oct 6, 2007 at 7:01 PM
    The_Hodge

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    15 Lariat Sport 5.0L
    all i did was run the hideaway box under the passenger side seat and ran the bulk cable to the headunit under the center console. the only way u can tell its there is that u see less than 1" of black cable leading under there. the only real added install was taking out the seat, which took 2 mins...and then running that cable up to the headunit.

13. Oct 7, 2007 at 12:10 AM
    biorunner1

biorunner1 Active Member

Member:
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    SR5 Prerunner
    Kenwood DVD, Navi TV tuner, Ipod, FM Traffic Reciever Thorley Headers AFE Intake Custom Exhaust URD MAF Calibrator American Racing BFG AT Wheels Fox Racing Shox Total Chaos Control Arms Tint
    I struggled with this issue for awhile and did quite a bit of research and found out a few things. As mentioned above the slide out tends to woble and can be difficult to touch and just plain flimsy at times. Also the flip screens have 2 motors one to push the display out and one to fold it up. The more mechanical moving parts in these things the more likely they are too fail from repetative use. I think think the double dins just have a better look to them. Unfortunetely that better looking might screem "HEY YOU CROOK COME STEEL ME". I had a heck of a struggle with this. But this is how I justify.

I talked with a guy around my area who custom installes alarm systems. My Kenwood installed really nice and securely. In fact I was able to use the factory brackets and bolts and put 6 screws from the deck frame right to the chassis. That thing aint commin out unless you take the time to uninstall and unscrew. Thats what about 5-10mins if your good. It would probably take less then a minute for them to just steel the truck entirely, so what difference does it make what kind of system you have. Its all gone now. This guy tell me that for about $600.00 he can make it take 20minutes to disarm an alarm and and hotwire the ignition. Thats good compared to 20 seconds I guess.

Long story short, If someone wants your sh*t there gonna get it. I would recommmend to everyone just buy what you really want not what you think a theif is not gonna want or what you can hide from them, then just take care of it and enjoy it.

By the way another pro is that this unit has a 4 digit code that must be entered after power is interupted. So even if it was stollen it couldnt be used again without the code. That helps a little I guess.

Kenwood.jpg
    Nav..jpg

14. Oct 7, 2007 at 9:08 AM
    yellowrr

yellowrr Member

Member:
    Atlanta, GA
    Vehicle:
    Very good point.

I really like the way that Kenwood looks in those pics. What model is it?

15. Oct 7, 2007 at 8:40 PM
    biorunner1

biorunner1 Active Member

Member:
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    SR5 Prerunner
    Kenwood DVD, Navi TV tuner, Ipod, FM Traffic Reciever Thorley Headers AFE Intake Custom Exhaust URD MAF Calibrator American Racing BFG AT Wheels Fox Racing Shox Total Chaos Control Arms Tint
    Thanks, It is the excelon DDX8019.

Products Discussed in

To Top