Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Audio & Video

Notices

Aftermarket Stereo install help!!

Old 04-13-2014, 04:37 PM   #1
This is my derpawayinator!!!!!
NelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

NelsonTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Aftermarket Stereo install help!!

I recently purchased a 2003 4Runner 4WD Limited with the JBL sound system. I keep getting the Error-4 when trying to load CD's and am tired of dealing with CD's anyway.

So here's my plan. My wife likes the double din Clarion stereo in my Tacoma. She wants me to install it in the 4Runner. I agreed to let her have it. So can I just pull out the stereo & wiring and just plug it into the 4Runner with no changes? Is the JBL wiring any different than the non-JBL that is in my Tacoma? Will my steering wheel control module work in her 4Runner just as it does now?

My instincts tell me that it will work but I wanted to make sure before I go tearing anything apart only to find I need to re-wire everything.

Thanks!!!

Here's a pic of the new 4Runner

Old 04-13-2014, 06:55 PM   #2
ZMan2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZMan2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZMan2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZMan2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZMan2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZMan2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZMan2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZMan2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZMan2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZMan2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZMan2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Richard
ZMan2k2's Tacoma Gallery
From what I've read, the JBL wiring is a bit different. You may need a new harness adapted for her 4Runner. The steering wheel control module should work, but may need to be reprogrammed.
Old 04-13-2014, 07:02 PM   #4
Resident Jackass
SoutheastTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoutheastTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoutheastTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoutheastTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoutheastTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoutheastTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoutheastTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoutheastTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoutheastTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoutheastTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoutheastTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: steven
SoutheastTaco's Tacoma Gallery
^ knows his stuff!
Old 04-14-2014, 05:20 PM   #5
NelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinsc View Post
Yes it's 100% different.. You will need a harness that will work with the jbl amp.. We use metra part # tyto-01 hope this helps.. What steering control do you use?
I thought they would be different.

The steering wheel control I use is the PAC SWI module. Is the resistor I used for the Tacoma the same for that too?

Thanks for the help!!
Old 04-15-2014, 10:48 AM   #7
gumbeyyy is just really nicegumbeyyy is just really nicegumbeyyy is just really nicegumbeyyy is just really nicegumbeyyy is just really nice
gumbeyyy's Tacoma Gallery
1+ for the tyto harness, don't go with the scosche branded one. All I ever do is run into problems with that. As far as the Pac SWC's im pretty sure there is a resistor involved. If its not too late i would suggest using the axxess AWSC-1. there is little to no button lag as compared to the PAC one which I could not stand.
Old 04-15-2014, 01:02 PM   #8
2012 dbl cab 4x4
kevinsc is one of the sharper tools in the shedkevinsc is one of the sharper tools in the shedkevinsc is one of the sharper tools in the shedkevinsc is one of the sharper tools in the shedkevinsc is one of the sharper tools in the shedkevinsc is one of the sharper tools in the shedkevinsc is one of the sharper tools in the shedkevinsc is one of the sharper tools in the shedkevinsc is one of the sharper tools in the shedkevinsc is one of the sharper tools in the shedkevinsc is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: kevin
kevinsc's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by gumbeyyy View Post
1+ for the tyto harness, don't go with the scosche branded one. All I ever do is run into problems with that. As far as the Pac SWC's im pretty sure there is a resistor involved. If its not too late i would suggest using the axxess AWSC-1. there is little to no button lag as compared to the PAC one which I could not stand.
Yep ASWC-1 is all we use
Old 04-16-2014, 06:38 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by gumbeyyy View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinsc View Post
Yep ASWC-1 is all we use
Thanks guys! But since I already have the Pac SWC I'm gonna stick with that. I'll be ordering the adapter soon. Thanks for the help!!! I'll post up pics when done. You guys are awsome!!!
Old 04-17-2014, 09:38 AM   #10
2012 dbl cab 4x4
kevinsc is one of the sharper tools in the shedkevinsc is one of the sharper tools in the shedkevinsc is one of the sharper tools in the shedkevinsc is one of the sharper tools in the shedkevinsc is one of the sharper tools in the shedkevinsc is one of the sharper tools in the shedkevinsc is one of the sharper tools in the shedkevinsc is one of the sharper tools in the shedkevinsc is one of the sharper tools in the shedkevinsc is one of the sharper tools in the shedkevinsc is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: kevin
kevinsc's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by NelsonTacoma View Post
Thanks guys! But since I already have the Pac SWC I'm gonna stick with that. I'll be ordering the adapter soon. Thanks for the help!!! I'll post up pics when done. You guys are awsome!!!
Glad to be of some help!