1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Install help

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by Connormc11, Apr 16, 2014.

1. Apr 16, 2014 at 8:43 AM
    Connormc11

Connormc11 [OP] Jangler

Member:
    First Name:
    Connor
    Norfolk VA
    Vehicle:
    2010 DCSB TRD-Offroad
    i'm installing my new sound system this weekend and had a few questions.

1. i have Hi and Low pass filters on both my amp and my head unit. should i just cut off the amp filters and control it from the head unit?

2. i know there is huge debate wether or not it hurts to run RCAs next to the power wire from the amp, but since i have to run speaker wire, RCAs, and Power to the amp and only two sides of the car, should i put the RCAs next to the power going down the driver's side or next to the speaker wire going down the passenger side or is there way to run it down the center?

2. Apr 16, 2014 at 8:54 AM
    jeremy_283

jeremy_283 Super Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Offroad Access Cab 4x4 Auto 4.0L
    Hella Rallye 4000 Cornering Lights PIAA 510 Fog Lights All Pro Front Bumper All Pro Rear Bumper All Pro Transfer Case Skid All Pro IFS Skid All Pro Rock Sliders All Pro High Clearance Hitch OME Dakar Leaf Springs OME Rear Shocks OME Front Shocks OME 885 Front Coils Wet Okole Seat Covers WeatherTech Floor Liners Sony Head Unit JL XD600/1 Amp 2 JL Audio 10” Subwoofers Custom Subwoofer Enclosure Kenwood Front Speakers Sony Rear Speakers Sound Deadening Mats LED Interior Lighting Pop N’ Lock Tailgate Lock Viper Alarm System Extra D-Rings In Truck Bed Maglite Seat Mount Disable Seatbelt Chime Rear Differential Breather Relocation Hi-Lift Bed Mount Flexible Front Mud Flaps 110v Inverter Always At 400w ABS Kill Switch Locking Center Console Removed Sway Bar
    1. All of my Hi and Low pass filters on my head unit are set at 80Hz. My amp is set at 80Hz.

2. My amp is under my passenger seat. My RCAs run down the passenger side. My power wire runs through the center console and my ground wire is grounded at my center console. I stretched my hand underneath the carpet and all wires (Power, RCA, Speaker) appear out of the hole that is under the passenger seat where they then attach to the amp.

3. Apr 16, 2014 at 9:07 AM
    ike3000

ike3000 Well-Known Member

Member:
    1. i would recommend you leave the amp filters off and control from the head unit. it would give you easier adjustment in the future in case you want to adjust the head unit filter lower than the amp. some argue that amp internal filters adversely affect the sound since it introduces a separate signal path.

2. i run them separate just to be safe. i ran mine down the center, because my cables were not long enough to run down the passenger's side. it was a little difficult to take apart the center console, but not impossible. just do a search on this forum for instructions on how it comes apart.

good luck!

4. Apr 16, 2014 at 10:16 AM
    2013TacoLTD

2013TacoLTD Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dennis
    Mckinney, TX
    Vehicle:
    13 Tacoma Limited V6 4X2
    Radio On Mod, Complete new stereo with 10" subs, Truxedo bed cover, GT-MAT through doors and rear cab.
    My amp manual says you should not filter the music through the HU and AMP at the same time because of the effect on dampening (no idea what that is, but I assume the AMP manufacturer knows best). I have toyed with it being done by either unit and agree it is easier to asjust on the head unit, though you should try both to see what sounds best to you.

Definitely run the power down the middle, separate from the speaker/RCA wires. This will prevent you from getting speaker whine that raises with engine RPM. I have pictures on what I did in my signature below.

Good luck and be sure to post some pics and a review when done!

Products Discussed in

To Top