1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

AppRadio 3 and S/O B-8PTD Install

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by jlleiber, Apr 24, 2014.

1. Jun 11, 2014 at 7:59 PM
    stumble

stumble Active Member

Member:
    After hitting jlleiber up with some questions I installed the Appradio 3 SPH-DA110 (no DVD), Metra Black Textured Dash Kit, Metra wiring Harness, & the Axxess ASWC-1 in my Tacoma last week. Installation was easy and straight forward and I am very happy with the setup. It Mirrors my rooted Android phone running AR Unchained perfectly. Thanks for the help Justin.

2. Jun 13, 2014 at 4:39 AM
    357sig

357sig Donut king

Member:
    First Name:
    dough boy
    donut shop
    Vehicle:
    Gold digger
    Well.... i have the same hu. Just installed yesterday. What am I suppose to do with the two extra plugs that use to go to the factory hu?

and where did yall buy the hdmi converter for the android?

3. Jun 13, 2014 at 12:04 PM
    stumble

stumble Active Member

Member:
    On my 2006, one of the extras was for steering wheel controls and the Axxess ASWC-1 tapped into a few wires on it. The other was connected to my non-factory Aux/Ipod input device which I removed.

4. Jul 14, 2014 at 6:27 AM
    ItalynStylion

ItalynStylion Sounds Gooooood

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    DFW, Tx.
    Vehicle:
    09 Double Cab TRD Sport 4x4
    Finally got mine working. Long story. Good news is that my Appradio Unchained app works GREAT! I still have a few connection bugs now and again but it's tolerable. Here's a quick screen record video of me working the unit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cUFM5e-jGjo

5. Jul 14, 2014 at 10:52 AM
    ranger098

ranger098 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Minnesota
    OP, does that head unit have an auxiliary input so i can physically plug my phone in using just a headphione jack? Oldschool i know, but i dont wanna try to use the pioneer app crap for playing music, and im not a real big fan of bluetooth. I much prefer to just plug in and be done, or at least have the option to do so.

I cant seem to get an answer anywhere else, maybe you can tell me! It could be either a headphone input or RCA input, im fine with either one.

PS that is a real clean install, ill be getting the same metra dash kit. everything is nice and flush, which you dont always get!

6. Jul 15, 2014 at 6:40 AM
    jlleiber

jlleiber [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Indiana
    Vehicle:
    2019 MGM TRD Sport DC 4x4
    Nice! Glad you got it working.

7. Jul 15, 2014 at 6:46 AM
    jlleiber

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Indiana
    Vehicle:
    Unfortunately there isn't an AUX input of any kind. That's one of the things that I didn't really like about it and was like you in terms of not being a big fan of bluetooth. But having the radio and using the bluetooth, that opinion has changed. I'd hate to have to go back to plugging it in now that I can just turn on the bluetooth and not worry about plugging stuff in.

Also, along those lines - with bluetooth connected you can use your headunit/steering wheel controls to skip through songs (pandora/spotify too). You don't get that option with just a headphone jack

And yeah, I was very pleased with how the install turned out. There are so many good/bad reviews for both metra and scosche kits, but I went with metra for the black textured finish and am very happy I did.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2014
  8. Jul 15, 2014 at 6:48 AM
    ItalynStylion

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    DFW, Tx.
    Vehicle:
    Long story short, the USB connector that goes into the back of the unit provides insufficient current and is ONLY used for charging. Yes you heard me right, NO data transfer happens over that cord. All touch inputs go over bluetooth and the video is purely over HDMI. The lack of current wasn't letting the unit connect. The solution? Wire in a cigarette socket behind the dash and use one of those 1A cigarrette lighter to USB adapters. I shit you not, that's how mine is hooked up and it works now.

9. Jul 15, 2014 at 7:32 AM
    jlleiber

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Indiana
    Vehicle:
    Wow, that's crazy. I don't think i would've ever figured out that solution...

10. Jul 15, 2014 at 7:47 AM
    ItalynStylion

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    DFW, Tx.
    Vehicle:
    I can't take credit. I finally had to ask my friend who owns a local car audio shop. Even he couldn't figure it out. We had to call one of his friends that does tech training on all the Pioneer products. He was aware of the issue and told us how to fix it. It's pretty shitty that type of "fix" was needed.

11. Jul 15, 2014 at 1:42 PM
    jlleiber

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Indiana
    Vehicle:
    Yeah definitely. I'm also surprised the it worked before and just all at once gave out. At any rate, I'm sure you're glad to have it back

12. Sep 19, 2014 at 7:47 PM
    Nightstr

Nightstr Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Felipe
    Sacramento CA
    Vehicle:
    05 prerunner sr5
    BLHM BLWM 3" TOUGH COUNTRY LIFT TRD SEAT COVERS THULE RACK M/T KM2 265/65/16
    I just bought this radio and can seem to save my audio stuff and or time and date... Also I can't seem to do all the functions with my phone but it might be because I'm missing the apple av connector thing. Any insight would be much appreciated.

13. Sep 20, 2014 at 9:16 AM
    Nightstr

Member:
    First Name:
    Felipe
    Sacramento CA
    Vehicle:
    05 prerunner sr5
    So I’m Getting a little frustrated with the appRadio... for some reason it won’t save all my audio functions and sometimes it lets me play with all audio setting and sometimes only some. Did i get a bad deck or am I missing something?

14. Sep 22, 2014 at 1:04 PM
    jlleiber

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Indiana
    Vehicle:
    Yeah that sounds weird. For whatever reason it seems like you're losing all power to the deck when you turn your truck off. I'd say either the deck is bad or you have something wired up incorrectly. As far as the iphone stuff goes, I'm not too sure but you do need about $100 worth of adapters to make everything work as advertised.

15. Sep 22, 2014 at 2:22 PM
    Nightstr

Member:
    First Name:
    Felipe
    Sacramento CA
    Vehicle:
    05 prerunner sr5
    ^ I did have one of the 12v wire hooked up wrong. I had it hooked up to the ignition and not the constant hot wire. That solved all my problems exept now I can't get the relay to do its job and work as a bypass... It was doing it before.

16. Oct 18, 2014 at 6:56 AM
    Pat C

Pat C Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Patrick
    CT
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma TRD sport
    Thanks for the pics nice install. I have the pioneer 8500, I have the Iphone 6 it cost me $92.00 from Cructhfield for all the cables, but to hide all the cables was a nitemare. I have proclips cradle for the phone which nice and the cablejive extender from the apple av adapter, so there is only one black cable visible to phone.

Products Discussed in

To Top