1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Man, do I feel like an idiot!

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by ZMan2k2, May 1, 2014.

1. May 1, 2014 at 9:50 AM
    ZMan2k2

ZMan2k2 [OP] “Hold my beer and watch this!”

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    ‘Berta
    Vehicle:
    06 Rad Red DCLB SR5
    In reference to my thread http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/audio-video/326872-i-will-never-trust-kijiji-again.html
    I am on the search for new speakers. Well, I decided to tackle a different problem I've been having. That was the subs in my truck. When I faded the speakers to the front, my NON-fading sub out, would fade to nothing. I've been through the menus on the deck, tried different things, and eventually, just set the gains on the amp as best I could. So today, I decided to try a different track. Pulled the deck out of the dash, and check the RCA's. Had the Fronts, on the rear output, the rears on the sub output, and the sub output on the fronts. :frusty::facepalm:Fixed it, and now I have to reset my gains. Everything is out of whack. Fronts are too high, rears are too low, and the subs, are just crazy. In my haste of wiring up my new amp, I didn't check the labeling on the deck for which RCA goes where.

Let this be a lesson to all you kids out there, take your time, and do it right, or it'll come back to bite you for sure.

2. May 1, 2014 at 10:34 AM
    ZMan2k2

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    ‘Berta
    Vehicle:
    06 Rad Red DCLB SR5
    Fixed the gains on the amps, and now I'm not sure I need new speakers. Do I take back the Hertz HSK165 4 speakers, and continue to rock the JL's, or just man up, and improve the sound with the Hertz speakers?

3. May 1, 2014 at 11:16 AM
    ike3000

ike3000 Well-Known Member

Member:
    haha, read the title and just had to check it out. i was surprised to read that the F4 would overpower your JLs. i thought for sure they could take more power than the F4. i haven't heard either speaker, so i can't comment on whether it's worth the money.

4. May 1, 2014 at 12:06 PM
    ZMan2k2

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    ‘Berta
    Vehicle:
    06 Rad Red DCLB SR5
    Haha, thanks ike. I figured the title would grab attention. Now I'm just debating speakers. I'll probably keep the Hertz set and throw it in, just for curiosity, seeing what an extra $275 over the JL's new, gets me. Still mulling it over though, as these JL's sound really good again.

5. May 1, 2014 at 12:13 PM
    mountainwolfpup

mountainwolfpup Ford Guy (Formerly known as a Toyota Guy)

Member:
    Vancouver, WA
    Vehicle:
    2015 Ford F150 Lariat FX4 3.5l Eco
    First month of ownership... This month I'm removing front air dam, and also Rhino lining the bed.
    Thanks OP for sharing your act of stupidity. We've all done those sort of things - but always a good laugh to hear of it happening to others also. Makes me feel like less of a moron.

Actually, I can't think of a story about my Tacoma that could top yours. It's pretty ridiculously funny.

I can picture the scene.

BTW, JL is a great speaker in general, I'd stick with them. Good speakers in an auto is a feat of diminishing returns. The more you spend the less and less extra fidelity you achieve.

Probably you'll get better results with adding Dynamat to the doors. That's what I'd do.

6. May 1, 2014 at 12:18 PM
    ZMan2k2

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    ‘Berta
    Vehicle:
    06 Rad Red DCLB SR5
    Doors are deadened inside and outer skin with RAAMmat, and I have a layer of CCF covering the inside skin, to help with high frequency noise from the exterior. One thing I'm debating, on top of all this, is if I should put some Focal Black Hole foam on the outer door skin, to keep sound inside the truck. Maybe some mass loaded vinyl?

7. May 1, 2014 at 3:18 PM
    mountainwolfpup

mountainwolfpup Ford Guy (Formerly known as a Toyota Guy)

Member:
    Vancouver, WA
    Vehicle:
    2015 Ford F150 Lariat FX4 3.5l Eco
    First month of ownership... This month I'm removing front air dam, and also Rhino lining the bed.
    OMG. Wow, you are definitely going extreme. I honestly can't weigh in here as you've gone so far beyond where I went. I only wish I could sit in your truck and hear this audi goodness.

You THE man.

8. May 1, 2014 at 3:32 PM
    Aw9d

Aw9d That one guy

Member:
    Man up. Hertz > JL all day long.

9. May 1, 2014 at 7:29 PM
    shaneckc

shaneckc Fyntünd Designs Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Shane
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    Vehicle:
    2014 SR Package DCLB 4x4
    This.

We were a JL and a Hertz dealer for several years. We NEVER used JL speakers for high end installs. The only time we would use them was if there was a fitment issue or if we really didn't like a customer and they insisted on the JL brand :cool:. The Hertz speakers are much better sounding.

Also, when contemplating your decision between the standard and XL HV165 sets, consider the response charts for the mid bass. They don't list a response diagram for the HT28, but I can assure you it is a noticeable improvement.

HV165L
    http://www.hertzaudiovideo.com/Pops/grap.asp?id=45&imm=graf_hv165l.gif&sel=2

Note: Hertz does not list a response diagram for the driver used in the HSK165, the one I have linked is for the HV165L is for a closely similar driver. The HV165 which is sold as a part of the HSK165 set will likely have a lower mid-bass response.

HSK165XL
    http://www.hertzaudiovideo.com/Pops/grap.asp?id=128&imm=graf_hv165xl.gif&sel=2

Notice the difference in response levels in lower frequencies and the overall smoother response curve. You will notice that your front stage is more dynamic with the XL's compared to the standards. They also come with a better crossover AND they have a higher sensitivity rating (more volume, less wattage).

If you can snatch up a pair of the HSK156XL's for $600, you will have a considerably high quality stereo.

10. May 1, 2014 at 8:55 PM
    ZMan2k2

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    ‘Berta
    Vehicle:
    06 Rad Red DCLB SR5
    Okay, you guys have convinced me. I'll call tomorrow, and put in an order. Thankfully, I got my money back from paypal today, so I only have a little bit on the CC, that I can pay off next paycheck. Can't wait for the payoff.

Products Discussed in

To Top