1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Just got my head unit and dash kit. Have no idea how it fits. Help please!

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by Bren, May 30, 2014.

1. May 30, 2014 at 2:57 PM
    Bren

Bren [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    CT
    Vehicle:
    01 Tacoma SR5 V6
    The dash kit is just a square pocket with some holes on the side. I don't know how it attaches to the radio.

image.jpg

2. May 30, 2014 at 3:09 PM
    TenBeers

TenBeers Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Bentonville, AR
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD Pro Cavalry Blue
    CBI bed rack and sliders, Backwoods Adventure Mods front and rear bumpers, etc. And some stickers.
    I *think* the factory radio has metal brackets on the sides. Take them off the factory radio and srew those into the pocket and new head unit, then pop the whole thing back in.

I think. I am not sure, it has been nearly 10 years since I did this on my old 1st gen.

3. May 30, 2014 at 3:15 PM
    mytaco77

mytaco77 Well-Known Member

Member:
    So Cal
    Vehicle:
    08 dbsb 4x4 TRD
    You have to pop out the existing radio but, in order to do that you have to take out the screws to the bezel around the radio. I believe there might be screws by or behind the ashtray and depending on what year screws behind the ac/heat knobs. Those knobs simply slides on and off (pressure fitted on). Then once the factory radio is out you have to use the existing metal brackets and attach them to your dash kit and radio. It's not going to be a slide in aftermarket unit so you can get rid of that cage on the aftermarket radio.

Last edited: May 30, 2014
  4. May 30, 2014 at 6:03 PM
    yota007

yota007 Active Member

Member:
    That one is no fun. The holes on the pocket won't line up like you think they should... A couple of tips I can offer:
    -You will use the factory mounting brackets. Attach the brackets to the aftermarket radio loosely. They will only fit properly on one spot of the aftermarket radio. Leave them loose for proper fitting of the pocket!
    -You won't use the trim ring around the new radio.
    -Pick the trim for the pocket that's closest to as wide as the aftermarket radio.
    -Only one hole on each side of the pocket will line up. Place the front edge of the pocket to the bottom of the radio and flush with the front of the radio (without the faceplate on) and secure the screws into the holes that line up with the factory brackets.

5. May 30, 2014 at 6:18 PM
    GATORTACO92

GATORTACO92 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    Hoover, Al
    Vehicle:
    2004 F-350 6.0 King Ranch
    2004 F-350...uh lots of motor work to go fast...er. Way to much to list. 2001: 3" leveling kit, ARB bumper, lightforce 240 blitz, 35" KM2s. SOLD 2008: OME 886s 90000 with dakars, LR UCAs, 5% tint, Satashi. SOLD 2015: Flooded and Gone
    To much to type. Done plenty of times. YouTube is your best friend with those. But take old radio out, 2 stock brackets, take those off and put them on the new on. Wire up per color and put back in.... Seems hard but it is cake.

6. Jun 6, 2014 at 8:34 PM
    Bren

Bren [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    CT
    Vehicle:
    01 Tacoma SR5 V6
    Thanks for the help. Got it installed and pretty good upgrade from stock. Glad I don't have to use that awful cassette adapter anymore to listen to music.

Products Discussed in

To Top