1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Idatalink maestro SW steering wheel controls

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by chrispy, Jun 15, 2014.

1. Jun 15, 2014 at 12:34 PM
    chrispy

chrispy [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Winnipeg, Manitoba
    Vehicle:
    2012 Tacoma SR5 4X4
    Hi,

Im currently looking at upgrading my HU, Ive done a previous install which included a alpine dsp processor, pdx5, alpine 6.5 components, and a alpine type r 10" sub in a custom box. The reason i'm looking at upgrading, im not happy with how the processor works, the dreaded humming that comes with it, and I would like to simply the setup . So i started to look into options and came across the idatalink maestro SW steering wheel controls which allows the user to program all the steering wheel controls including voice and phone buttons. Does anyone have experience with this unit? Any pros and cons?

Thanks

I'm driving a 2012 tacoma Sr5 access cab.

2. Jul 4, 2014 at 11:15 PM
    chrispy

Member:
    Winnipeg, Manitoba
    Vehicle:
    2012 Tacoma SR5 4X4
    Bump, Anyone?

3. Jul 6, 2014 at 6:35 AM
    Bubbastaco

Bubbastaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    I just installed a new sound system with an I datalink maestro but the rr. I think it's awesome. The head unit is a kenwood dnn991 but the really cool thing about the rr and maybe the other not sure is that now on the radio I get all kinds of guages on the radio. Mpg, rpm, speed, volts, engine load.... I was wanting to get that scangauge that I have read about on here but think the rr has given me the guages that I wanted. Just finished yesterday so have not had much time to play with it. Any questions though I will try and answer.

4. Jul 7, 2014 at 7:31 PM
    chrispy

Member:
    Winnipeg, Manitoba
    Vehicle:
    2012 Tacoma SR5 4X4
    Awesome! i was looking at the rr it definitely has some awesome features and having the same functionds as the scan gauge is a bonus. Did all your steering wheel controls work with it? like your bluetooth controls? and voice controls? What headunit did you install? any problems with the install?

Thanks

5. Jul 8, 2014 at 6:04 AM
    Bubbastaco

Member:
    I am not sure of the feature list of the scangauge but I was just wanting that to show my mpg. The rr gives me instant and average. As for the buttons on the sw they all work. You can program each button to have two separate uses. I have volume up and down as normal with a push and hold on volume down to mute the radio. End call and make make call as normal with a push and hold on make call to activate Siri on my phone. The head unit is a kenwood dnn991. Still learning and trying figure it all out.

6. Jul 24, 2014 at 8:27 PM
    je3169

je3169 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Cincinnati OH
    Vehicle:
    2014 Access Cab TRD Sport
    2" Front, 2" Back, Opti-Coat Pro, Toyo Running Boards, Kenwood DNX891HD
    Hey Bubbastaco I am looking into the same thing I have a DNX891HD and I am thinking of getting the Maestro RR can you list all the gauges it will show i.e. volts, water temp, trans tamp, and so on.

Thanks John

7. Jul 25, 2014 at 12:17 PM
    D4D Hilux Dude

D4D Hilux Dude Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Darren
    Arvada, CO
    Vehicle:
    2011 4x4 Double Cab TRD Offroad
    TRD Supercharger TRD Catback Exhaust Ziebart Rust Proofing Additional Bed Ties 2012 Indicator side mirrors
    How does the idatalink maestro work? Does it have all of the steering wheel button functionality? Does your steering wheel have the bluetooth phone buttons as well?

I remember reading that these were not compatible with the Tacoma.

Thanks

8. Jul 26, 2014 at 5:18 AM
    LBCdan

LBCdan TACO --> TUNDRA

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Long Beach , CA
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tundra CM 4x4
    Toytec Coilovers, TotalChaos UCA, Icon w/ Resi, Toytec Lift Shackle, Methods w/ 285/75/18 Tires.
    Also curious about this. I am hoping to keep my Sirius antenna,Bluetooth mic, and backup cam.

9. Jul 28, 2014 at 2:20 PM
    Bubbastaco

Member:
    I have not had time to make a list of all of the guages that will work with the tacoma. I do not have a Bluetooth phone button but you can program each button you do have for two different things. So my answer button on the sw is programmed to answer calls and with a push and hold it activates Siri. I will try and get a list of availible guages. There are a lot of them that are greyed out that do not work with the tacoma. Not sure on keeping factory satellite radio. I out in all aftermarket so I am no help there.

Products Discussed in

To Top