1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Radio shuts itself off!

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by JoeRe, Apr 9, 2009.

1. May 8, 2009 at 1:38 AM
    rossdaman

rossdaman New Member

Member:
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner Sport
    Pioneer AVIC F-900BT Phoenix Gold amps DLS speakers Rockford Punch subs
    I just wanted to let you guys know that you are not alone if you are having problems with your radio. I sell Toyota's, and about half of the Tacoma's I sell have radio issues. It's the first time I've ever seen this. I think the first batch of radios that were made, were bad for some reason. I also heard through the service department that there is a nationwide backorder on replacement radios due to this issue. So don't be alarmed if your replacement takes a while to come in. I'll keep you guys posted if I hear anything else. By the way, you should change your stereo to an aftermarket anyways! Haha!

2. May 8, 2009 at 6:41 AM
    goyard4x

goyard4x Member

Member:
    Costa Mesa, CA
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma
    Toyota installed my new stereo yesterday and the thing I noticed is the on off volume button is stiffer (takes more pressure to turn on and off) working good so far, but keeping my eye on Crutchfield for a sale. :):)

3. May 8, 2009 at 9:01 AM
    JoeRe

JoeRe [OP] Member

Member:
    Hard to believe that so many Tacomas have radio problems without Toyota issuing a recall to fix such a prevalent problem!

4. May 13, 2009 at 3:20 PM
    09TarheelYota

09TarheelYota New Member

Member:
    Foothills of NC
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Off Road 4x4
    Has anyone heard anymore on this issue? Is it an ongoing issue or have the replacement radios fixed everyone's troubles? I have an 09 access cab and have all the same problems(reception sucks!, volume knob stops working, backlights go out). Thanks for the help guys.

5. May 13, 2009 at 3:32 PM
    goyard4x

goyard4x Member

Member:
    Costa Mesa, CA
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma
    Been a little over a week and so far no problems with the replacement stereo. :):)

6. May 13, 2009 at 3:37 PM
    sch0enne

sch0enne Well-Known Member

Member:
    penticton British Columbia Canada
    Vehicle:
    03 Tacoma TRD
    bed lights, cobra 19 dx cb radio, flow pro muffler
    I have had a problem with mine freezing and shutting down. I have had it to the dealer 5+ times. we have narrowed my problem down to something to do with my ipod adapter. possibly a bad harness. do any of you guys with problems have a ipod adapter? the dealer removed mine to see if that would fix it and its been 2 weeks with no issue.

7. May 13, 2009 at 3:41 PM
    MUDFISH

MUDFISH Well-Known Member

Member:
    Syracuse
    Vehicle:
    12 Double Cab SR5
    Add another one to the list... mine has shut off numerous times, and last week, the lights started flashing, and none of the buttons worked, even the power button, but for some reason the steering wheel controls worked... I shut off the truck... restarted, and everything was fine...

I thought it was just me... maybe its time to convince a new stereo...

8. May 13, 2009 at 4:03 PM
    09TarheelYota

09TarheelYota New Member

Member:
    Foothills of NC
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Off Road 4x4
    Not sure if this helps or not, I just got off the phone with my service advisor. She told me that they were getting 2-3 a week in for the same problem. She also said that supposedly stereos made after Feb. 3rd 2009 are good. I have no idea. She told me to give her the code off the front of the radio and she would order me one. Not too bad. I didn't even have to drive to the dealership and haggle with them. She said it would take 7-10 days for it to come in. I will let you guys know what happens from here.

9. May 13, 2009 at 9:41 PM
    Raven65

Raven65 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Camden, SC
    Vehicle:
    '09 Magnetic Gray Reg Cab 5-Lug
    Curt hitch, D-rings, bed mat
    I've been using my replacement radio for two weeks now and haven't had any more trouble. Maybe the current batch is OK. The reception is still lousy and the aux input level is too low (just like before), but none of the other issues have surfaced yet. I'll probably end up with an aftermarket unit eventually anyway. I really like the look of the stock unit in the dash and would prefer to leave it in there, but the performance just isn't very good.

10. May 17, 2009 at 6:32 AM
    cj30241

cj30241 Member

Member:
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    2014 Tacoma-Auto 4-Cyl
    09 Tacoma. Radio shuts off.
    Sometimes the controls on controls on steering wheel do not work.

Called dealer yesterday. He sounded 'surprised' that I was having the problem and said I would need to bring it in for them to try and "replicate the problem".

After I mentioned to him I was aware it was an ongoing problem with these radios, he owned up and said 'yea, we've been getting a lot of those in here', will probably have to order you a new one. He still insisted I drive 50 miles to the dealership just so they can get the # off the radio!! And then I'll have to drive back for them to install!!!!
    Oh, well.

11. May 19, 2009 at 1:56 PM
    Edrin55

Edrin55 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ron
    Chula Vista, CA (Eastlake)
    Vehicle:
    2010 Magnetic Gray TRD Sport Access Cab
    Avid Off Road Light Bar Line-X'd, Black Sand Pearl Hood Scoope, Truck Covers USA metal roll up bed cover, Thule Custom lockable light bar, TRD Sport Exhaust, Line-X'd TRD skid plate, Slee Off Road Sliders, Upgraded 3.5" Rearview Mirror/Monitor, Anytime Foglight Mod. (TY Jeff), Smoked Foglights, SilverStar Headlight & Foglight Bulbs, Tinted windows all around, Vent visors, Bed mat with security mod, Wet Okoles front & back, Race/Sport Pedals, Tailgate Clamps, PopNLcok 5300 Tailgate Lock, All weather mats, Helo 17x8 Hubcentric Rims & BFG All Terrain 265/70/17, Blisteins 5100's all around with mini leaf add to the rears, AFE Pro Dry drop in filter, Go Rhino Hitch Step, TRD License Plate Frames and Tire Valve Covers. GrillCraft MX Mesh upper and lower grills with "old school TOYOTA" FJ emblem, Cobra CB Radio, Firestick CB Antenna with custom mount.
    I bought my 09 access cab at the end of March. Three weeks after, I started having on/off problems with my volume knob not working. I called the service manger and explained my problem. I also faxed him a copy off all the post from this thread. He told me to bring the truck in at my convenience. I brought it in today, he took my info, vin #, and stereo model #. He ordered me a new radio right then an there. The only problem, his computer tells him that there is now a six week wait for a new radio. Apparently this issue has ballooned all over now and Toyota is really aware of the problem now.

12. May 19, 2009 at 2:59 PM
    Consumer

Consumer Well-Known Member

Member:
    Clearwater, Florida
    Vehicle:
    SR5 4x2 2.7L
    Fold a Cover G4 Elite, OEM Bed Mat, Wet Okole Seat Covers, Prevent Tailgate Theft Mod.
    At first I thought something was loose because it first happened when I went over a bump and it wouldn't come back on right away. Then it just went out whenever it felt like it. Thanks for the post, I was going to wait till my oil change but I called my dealer right after reading this. I want Toyota to get this fixed for good.

13. May 19, 2009 at 6:43 PM
    jsr813

jsr813 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Cranberry Twp., PA
    Vehicle:
    2022 Tacoma SR5 V6 DCSB 4x4
    None yet
    That is what they told me in March. Mine failed while the salesman was demoing the radio to me the night of delivery. However, they got the replacement in about 18 days.

I did find that a nice "punch" on the dash directly above the volume control would make it work for a while. :cool:

John R

14. May 21, 2009 at 2:48 PM
    Consumer

Member:
    Clearwater, Florida
    Vehicle:
    SR5 4x2 2.7L
    Fold a Cover G4 Elite, OEM Bed Mat, Wet Okole Seat Covers, Prevent Tailgate Theft Mod.
    My dealer checked mine out and sent away for a new one. It didn't shut itself off all that often so they must know how to test for it now. Either that or they automatically replace all radios built before a certain date. Either way I hope they have it fixed. If not maybe they will give us all an upgrade...:D

15. May 21, 2009 at 3:11 PM
    JoeRe

JoeRe [OP] Member

Member:
    Mine's either getting worse or the heat is making it worse as it shuts off (and sometimes turns itself on) nearly every day now!

16. May 21, 2009 at 4:25 PM
    Consumer

Member:
    Clearwater, Florida
    Vehicle:
    SR5 4x2 2.7L
    Yeah mine turned itself on once. Thought I was hearing voices at first but then I realized I had already taken my meds and I looked up and my radio was on.

17. May 21, 2009 at 7:37 PM
    Raven65

Raven65 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Camden, SC
    Vehicle:
    '09 Magnetic Gray Reg Cab 5-Lug
    Curt hitch, D-rings, bed mat
    Mine started acting up the second day I had the truck and got progressively worse until it was replaced. Still no problems with the new one though... had it for three weeks now.

18. May 22, 2009 at 6:49 AM
    Old Soul

Old Soul Well-Known Member

Member:
    NC
    Vehicle:
    09 AC V6 SR5 2WD SWB
    not to many, love it the way it is
    mine is the same way. cutting off randomly, the screen goes blank and no controls work including the volume. glad to read this thread to find out about the steering wheel volume working during the blackout. not so enthralled about hitting the dash to make the thing work but will do it in a pinch,especially on a long trip where the music gets real good, won't be the first time I've hit the dash. my other Truck was an S-10

I've never used the radio stations, the internet has so much better music than local radio. mp3 cds are awesome and provide hours of music, the Aux is great for the ipod but the sound quality is not as good as mp3 cds

19. May 22, 2009 at 12:09 PM
    indabox

indabox Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    09 PreRunner TRD
    Just got my 09 Pre Runner 2 days ago and the radio is going crazy... lights start flickering, shuts off at times, and when playing an mp3 cd it freezes up with track number on the display and none of the buttons will do anything. I have to shut the truck off to get it to respond again. Told the dealer and they are going to order me a new one. still makes me mad that a 2 day old truck has a bad radio...

20. May 23, 2009 at 1:30 PM
    Consumer

Member:
    Clearwater, Florida
    Vehicle:
    SR5 4x2 2.7L
    I am glad for this post, and for TW. When there is an issue like this I know about it. When I went to the dealer I knew they had to give me a new radio because it was a known issue. I know how the world operates. They would have played it like I am the only one with the issue...
    Actually though I heard a service guy talking to a Tundra owner about replacing his radio, so maybe not.
    Can't say as I trust car dealers or corporations much to tell the truth. Thank God for the internet.

Products Discussed in

To Top