1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Radio shuts itself off!

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by JoeRe, Apr 9, 2009.

1. Apr 9, 2009 at 4:45 PM
    JoeRe

JoeRe [OP] Member

Member:
    Love my 09 reg cab 4X4. Only complaint is the radio shuts itself off almost once a day! Power just off, push the button and all is fine and back on again. What's up with that?

2. Apr 9, 2009 at 4:46 PM
    JimBeam

JimBeam BECAUSE INTERNETS!! Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    JB
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra
    you should listen to better music hahaha

3. Apr 9, 2009 at 4:50 PM
    neslerrah

neslerrah Taco lovin'

Member:
    First Name:
    Harrelsen
    Tucson
    Vehicle:
    5 lug BEAST!
    Secondary air filter removed, elbow mod, BFG T/A KO (31x10.5R15), 15" American Racing Mojaves, BHLM, Dome Light MOD (Blue), Pioneer headunit, Sockmonkey 'TACOMA' Decals, Readylift 5-lug SST, Rear Shocks - Bilstein TRD, Dynomax Super Turbo #17748, DDM Slim Ballast HID Kit H4 Hi/Lo -35W 6000K in headlights, Apexcone Raptor HID Kit H3 - 35W 6000K in Hella 500s, aFe CAI #51-10762, WeatherTech Floorliner, 200W Smart AC Inverter
    :rofl::rofl:

4. Apr 9, 2009 at 5:17 PM
    Raven65

Raven65 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Camden, SC
    Vehicle:
    '09 Magnetic Gray Reg Cab 5-Lug
    Curt hitch, D-rings, bed mat
    I'm having intermittent issues with my '09 radio too (reg cab 4x2). Sometimes the backlight doesn't come on (or comes on and goes out later) - which is not good at night. Sometimes the volume control stops working. Sometimes it will start working again if I turn the radio off & back on again a couple of times - especially if I pop the knob a little harder than you would narmally have to. Sometimes both problems happen at the same time. Also, the FM reception sucks ALL the time. I called the salesman I bought the truck from and told him about it - and he said to bring it in and let them check it out. Haven't had time yet, but I'm sure it will work fine when I do. I want a new one.

Others in THIS THREAD had problems with their radio too.

5. Apr 9, 2009 at 9:26 PM
    Pbucks

Pbucks Well-Known Member

Member:
    Montgomery County, Md
    Vehicle:
    09 SR5 Access (sold)
    None yet
    My radio dies and the volume control doesn't work sometimes. It took the dealer about 5 weeks to get a replacement. They called the other day, now I have to take the truck back for them to install it. If this is the only problem I have with the truck I will be a happy camper.
    Pete

6. Apr 9, 2009 at 9:37 PM
    johnny12345

johnny12345 Well-Known Member

Member:
    vancouver island, canada
    Vehicle:
    09 tacoma SR5
    I have the exact same problems with my 09 as well.

7. Apr 10, 2009 at 3:42 AM
    JoeRe

JoeRe [OP] Member

Member:
    Not looking forward to a new radio install as it seem rattles follow every time the dash panel has to be removed.

8. Apr 10, 2009 at 3:53 AM
    brianr

brianr go shit in your hat

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2010 4x4
    BUILT, not bought...
    with a working stereo, just turn the volume up higher. thats how I ignore the one rattle I have.

9. Apr 10, 2009 at 8:00 AM
    ELKAHOLIC

ELKAHOLIC Well-Known Member

Member:
    Edgewood Texas
    Vehicle:
    2016 DCLB OFFROAD 4X4 Quicksand
    Icon suspension, Falken Wild Peak AT3W,s, Marshall Fab sliders, Built Right uca's, BAMF grill, Cali Raised led light, Bakflip fibermax, Husky mats, Clazzio leather
    Mine changes channels:( Mabey we have the YOTA ghost?:eek:

10. Apr 10, 2009 at 1:59 PM
    JDCPA

JDCPA Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    SW FL
    Vehicle:
    09 5 Lug Access Cab SR5
    Curt Hitch and etrailer.com wiring harness.
    Add mine to the list. I can control the volume with the steering wheel controls and get the backlight to come back on by hitting the 0anel next to it.

Other threads have indicated the replacement radio does the same thing so why bother?

11. Apr 10, 2009 at 4:55 PM
    sweater914

sweater914 Well-Known Member

Member:
    North Dakota
    Vehicle:
    '09 I4 5spd Access Cab Timberland Mica SR5
    My wife reports the same symptoms with her radio, the volume goes up and down, hasn't happened that often but the outside air temp hasn't gotten above 50F yet. This summer might make the problems worse.

12. Apr 10, 2009 at 4:58 PM
    myrcrocks

myrcrocks The Reasonable One

Member:
    New Brunswick, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2009 Tacoma SR5
    Had the same problem with my 2009. My dealer said they have had issues with them, ordered me a replacement with no questions asked. Only took 3 days to get it, and haven't had any rattles or any other issues since installation....

13. Apr 11, 2009 at 8:35 AM
    Raven65

Member:
    Camden, SC
    Vehicle:
    Just got back from the dealership - and they immediately ordered a new radio for me. They only looked at the truck to get the current mileage (for the warranty claim I suppose).

If the replacement has the same problem, I'll get IT replaced. ...and the one after that, and the one after that, etc. until I get one that works properly. Sounds like Toyota (or the radio supplier) cut one corner too many. It's a radio for crying out loud. We're not talking about some new bleeding edge technology here. There's no excuse for this. :mad: I know the stock radio is nothing special, but it should at least WORK.

14. Apr 11, 2009 at 8:39 AM
    TheSchwartz

TheSchwartz Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaron
    Smithsburg, MD
    Vehicle:
    '11 DC/LB SR5 Magnetic Gray
    Avid BullBar, BFG 265/75R16, remote car starter, Slim's HID heads and fogs
  15. Apr 11, 2009 at 11:36 AM
    Mrbananaguy

Mrbananaguy New Member

Member:
    Puerto Rico
    Vehicle:
    2009 Tacoma 4x4
    I've had the same problem. +1

16. Apr 11, 2009 at 11:43 AM
    KeithB

KeithB Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Keith
    Cheshire, CT
    Vehicle:
    SWB '09 Tacoma DCSB Sport 4x4
    Wheels and Tires: 17x8" Ultra Goliath wheels with P285/70R17 Falken Wildpeak AT3/W tires, Suspension: Fox coilovers set at 2", TC UCA's, 1.5" lift 3 leaf pack with overload left in Other: TRD SS exhaust, Pioneer AVIC 4100 H/U with Android Auto (awesomeness), sat radio bluetooth, Accessories: Toyota roof rack, black Toyota running board steps, cargo divider, weathertech floor liners, Literider roll up soft tonneau, thule bars over tonneau, USB ports front and rear, seat heaters, birddawg mirror riser Cosmetic: window tint, grillcraft black mesh upper/lower grill, vinyl armrest in doors, Clazzio black seat covers with blue stitch, Redline steering wheel wrap Lighting: fogs only mod, back up lights, amber interior accent lighting, amber 10" LED light bar in hood scoop, 33" LED bar behind the lower grill, amber lamin-x on fog lights, Tacomabeast headlights and matching tails.
    me too. gonna ask the dealer about it when I bring it in for the first oil change (free lifetime oil change deal) in a couple weeks.

17. Apr 11, 2009 at 11:47 AM
    BLUVVV

BLUVVV LARGE Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryce
    Valley Center, CA
    Vehicle:
    11' A/C TRD O-R PreRunner
    flowmaster 40, blackout headlights, 10'' infinity subwoofer, custom rear enclosure, kicker mono amp. 5100's set at 2.5'', 32'' pro Comp Xtreme M/T tires, Pioneer dub din head unit, K&N CAI, MB Motorsports V-Drive rims
    My Dad has an 09 as well with the same radio problem...(his turned off 20+ times this weekend) so I took it to the dealership for him. The dealer said that it has been happening a ton with the radios. he said mine was the 4th one of the day! and that "Toyota is working on fixing the problem" and that there was no use in having it replace right now because it could just happen again. His advice was to come back to the dealership next month when they have the problem resolved...im guessing that they are just going to replace ALL the defective ones with new brains in the radio.

18. Apr 11, 2009 at 3:27 PM
    jsr813

jsr813 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Cranberry Twp., PA
    Vehicle:
    2022 Tacoma SR5 V6 DCSB 4x4
    None yet
    Sad to report another one.

The day I picked up my 09 Std cab, the salesman was showing me how the radio works (like I needed the help). The volume was up too loud and when he tried to turn it down, or up, it wouldn't budge.

I just got the replacement today (3 weeks), and although the volume has worked so far, the base and treble have already reset themselves once. If it happens again, I guess I'll be getting a third radio.

John

5/5/09 Update. Well, it's been about a month now and the replacement has been fine so I guess they understood the issue and got it resolved.

19. Apr 29, 2009 at 5:40 PM
    Raven65

Member:
    Camden, SC
    Vehicle:
    My dealer installed my replacement radio yesterday - and so far it's working well (but so did the original for a few days). The bad news is the tech who swapped it out also got grease on my seats and gouged the CRAP out of the trim at the top of the HVAC controls and the right vent pod while prying it out (apparently with a screwdriver). This is a brand-new vehicle that I've only made one payment on. I was not happy. The service manager was very understanding though - and has ordered new parts to replace the damaged ones. He also personally cleaned my seat with some Toyota branded upholstery cleaner and got all of the grease out. I just hope they can manage to install the new parts without tearing something else up. Not impressed.

20. May 4, 2009 at 3:56 PM
    goyard4x

goyard4x Member

Member:
    Costa Mesa, CA
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma
    My stereo is doing the same thing and getting worse, the dealer ordered a new one for me last week, hope they have this thing figured out :cool::cool:

Products Discussed in

To Top