1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Issues after installing new HU

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by bossdog421, Jun 27, 2014.

1. Jun 27, 2014 at 4:53 PM
    bossdog421

bossdog421 [OP] New Member

Member:
    I have a 2010 Access Cab. Stock System was the CD changer HU, tweeters and 6x9 in the front door, stupid headliner speakers, and the "flux capacitor" factory sub.

The sound was very sub par with messy but noticeable lows.

First step was to upgrade the head unit. Got a x700bt pioneer HU used the proper wiring harness. There was a noticeable improvement in sound quality. Had to keep the volumes a little low due to the stock speakers.

Next i got rid of the stock 6x9s and replaced them with 3way pioneer 6x9s.

Next upgrade will be some rear speakers by cutting into the rear door ( o_O ) and a decent sub / amp to replace the crappy stock sub.

After screwing around with the HU am i able to get decent mids and highs but the lows sound even worse and are barely noticeable.

Now it's been a while since I've done an install and i just used the existing wiring but Im completely confused as to what happens as i fade from front to back and mess with the sub settings on the HU.

Sub off, normal and reverse have zero impact on the sub. Using the actual nob on the sub will turn it off though. I know it's not a good sub and I'll replace it by the end of the year but as of now i would like to use it...

Turning HPF completely off and fading the speaking completely to the front seems to make it so only the tweeters are on as there is zero base. Odd to me because it looks the tweets and the 6x9s are split off the same line at the door... I could be wrong though.

The front fade takes care of the horrible headliner speakers but it also completely mutes the sub as well. Is anyone aware of which wires i can terminate to disable the headliner speakers without needing to remove the headliner? Will that mess with the sub? I'm guessing I'll just have to rewire when i put in rear speakers anyways.

I thought having a HU with a bit more power would help this sub but it seems to not be adjustable at all with the HU settings.

If i set the HPF and EQ just right i can still get pretty good sound, minus the any decent lows. Am i completely screwed until i get a decent sub and rewire it with an amp or is there anything i can do to get control of this flux capacitor sub so i can get a bit of bump?

Help?

2. Jun 27, 2014 at 4:57 PM
    Slimwood Shady

Slimwood Shady I love your mom!

Member:
    First Name:
    Linwood
    San Antonio, TX
    Vehicle:
    '23 TRD Pro Tundra; 996TT; '16 Odyssey
    #nomods
    For the front door speakers you have to pull off the tweeter wires....you cannot use just the wires going to the woofer without the OEM tweeter hooked up. I remember something really weird about the front door speakers...try this, if it doesn't work, look up the how to in the audio section...

3. Jun 27, 2014 at 5:13 PM
    bossdog421

Member:
    I'll give that a try in the morning and post the results.

4. Jun 28, 2014 at 7:40 AM
    bossdog421

Member:
    Took the door panels off again and unplugged the tweeters. When the tweeters are unplugged no sound goes to the 6x9s. There are 4 wires going into the adapter for the tweeters..pardon my ignorance but i'm guessing its a crossover.

While the tweeters were unplugged, I could hear the headliner speakers and the sub. The sub didnt sound any better and the HU controls for sub off normal and reverse still didnt do anything.

:confused:

Products Discussed in

To Top